PDA

View Full Version : How to choose ammo?

chefjef
09-06-2011, 5:33 PM
So I just ordered my first handgun (Glock 34), and now I'm wondering about ammo. Grain, expansion, velocity, there's a lot to compare. How do I choose what ammo to buy? For my Ruger 10-22 I simply bought boxes of several types and brands until I found one that shot well in my rifle. Nothing complicated. I was thinking of doing the same for my 9mm Glock, but there's got to be a better way. I want general plinking/target rounds, not yet interested in defense or competitive shooting. So how do I navigate the overcrowded ammo shelf?

Kodemonkey
09-06-2011, 5:35 PM
Your Glock should eat just about anything. I'd go with what is cheapest on the shelf. I've had good success with Winchester White Box and American Eagle.

For 9mm, 115Gr FMJ is what you will find everywhere. 147gr subsonic works too and is better on taking down steel targets in my opinion.

Kodemonkey
09-06-2011, 5:36 PM
Glock 34 is a nice choice for a first handgun by the way.

sk8804
09-06-2011, 5:38 PM
any grain of 9mm will be fine for plinking. And your glock will eat any ammo you can buy for the most part. I dont shoot wolf or tula, but thats just my preference.

97F1504RAD
09-06-2011, 5:45 PM
Here is some of the ammo i prefer to use for plinking:

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/748.php

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50rd-q4318-9mm-nato-winchester-mil-spec-124gr-p

http://www.sgammo.com/product/pmc/1000-rds-pmc-9mm-luger-115-grain-fmj-ammo

And for Self Defense ammo:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/500rd-winchester-ranger-9mm-t-series-p-ra9124tp

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50rds-9mm-federal-hst-124gr-hp-hollow-point-le-ammo-p9hst1

pipboy
09-06-2011, 5:47 PM
For me-when its time to buy ammo, I just look for the cheapest, brass cased, FMJ, factory (non-reloads) available and run with it...

BayouBullets
09-06-2011, 5:53 PM
WWB and American Eagle as mentioned above. Also RWS and Sellier & Beloit make good plinking ammo. The S&B tends to run a little hotter than most plinking stuff. You can get the S&B in LRN too. PMC makes reliable ammo for plinking, but most folks complain about it being dirty. Same with Magtech.
If you ever plan on graduating to self-defense, I suggest going ahead and starting with 124 gr. to plink, because that's what you want to use for defensive/jhp rounds. Otherwise, get the 115 for paper or gongs. 147 doesn't knock down anything better than 124's unless the 124's aren't loaded hot enough.

ERdept
09-06-2011, 5:59 PM
Just buy the cheapest to train with WWB, and buy some self defense stuff.

Test the self defense load, if it works, fin!

tbhracing
09-06-2011, 6:15 PM
Do NOT got cheap. Stay away from reloads and I personally do not like WWB. (Winchester)

XDRoX
09-06-2011, 6:41 PM
What's wrong with WWB?

Press Check
09-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Winchester isn't particularly cheap, nor is there a single thing the matter with it.

When it comes to FMJ ammo, if it effectively feeds, fires and ejects from your pistol, stick with it, and I don't think anyone can give you a difinitive answer regarding which to start with. Self included, most will point towards WWB.

nevil
09-06-2011, 6:49 PM
Use the cheapest you can fine. If you use reloads use only reloads from good venders. If they sell it in thier store you are probably fine.

CALI SHOT DOC
09-06-2011, 7:07 PM
If it is for plinking/training don't worry about expansion and stuff like that. Reloads are fine, they aren't going to harm your glock (glocks are meant to be used and abused). I like blazer brass, american eagle, umc and sometimes winchester if the price is right. Basically anything that is cheap because there is a pretty good chance your glock will eat anything (most do). Enjoy your 34!!!!

Kodemonkey
09-06-2011, 8:28 PM
I'd stay away from reloads for the first 100-200 rounds. Reason being, if there is a manufacturing defect in the Glock you would find it in the first couple hundred rounds. If there is a failure, warranty is just easier to deal with if it is factory ammo. After that break in period, reloads are good to go.

It's just the advice I was given a long time ago and I thought it was prudent.

XDRoX
09-06-2011, 8:36 PM
I'd stay away from reloads for the first 100-200 rounds. Reason being, if there is a manufacturing defect in the Glock you would find it in the first couple hundred rounds. If there is a failure, warranty is just easier to deal with if it is factory ammo. After that break in period, reloads are good to go.

It's just the advice I was given a long time ago and I thought it was prudent.

Makes sense.

PRCABR4Christ
09-06-2011, 8:48 PM
For me-when its time to buy ammo, I just look for the cheapest, brass cased, FMJ, factory (non-reloads) available and run with it...

+1

back when I carried a 9mm I ran Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP's, other than that, range fodder has always been brass cased once reloaded or new ammunition (WWB usually)

Kodachrome
09-06-2011, 9:04 PM
I never had any problems with WWB. I use Miwall reloads in 124gr. no problems either.
They attend Crossroad Guns Shows here in Cali.
http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/.
Congrats1 I own one also.

tbhracing
09-06-2011, 9:16 PM
What's wrong with WWB?

Both of my Glocks have only had any a few (2-4) problems with WWB. I have shot everything in them and WWB is the only problem ammo I have had.

The deal here is some of you guys purchase ammo based only on a cheap price. Then come in here backing your purchase saying how good it is. These claims are based only on cost alone.

I am not cheap and refuse to buy cheap ammo. Thats just me.

XDRoX
09-06-2011, 9:21 PM
Both of my Glocks have only had any a few (2-4) problems with WWB. I have shot everything in them and WWB is the only problem ammo I have had.

The deal here is some of you guys purchase ammo based only on a cheap price. Then come in here backing your purchase saying how good it is. These claims are based only on cost alone.

I am not cheap and refuse to buy cheap ammo. Thats just me.

I haven't bought factory 9mm in a long time, but I do know that Win brass is some of the best out there to reload. I prefer it. That's why I'm surprised that you don't like it. Plus I didn't think it was that cheap.

Dark Mod
09-06-2011, 9:27 PM
For your type of shooting you need to go cheap. You get alot of benefit from the 9mm cartridge because its plentiful and can be very cheap. Get reloads

chefjef
09-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Great replies, gives me some good starting points.

But how does one choose between different types though? For example, ableammo.com has three different American Eagle 9mm FMJ 50rd boxes all for about $13 ($12.39-$13.48) - the only difference being their three velocities... 960, 1090, and 1160. Why should I choose one over the other two?

XDRoX
09-06-2011, 9:39 PM

But how does one choose between different types though? For example, ableammo.com has three different American Eagle 9mm FMJ 50rd boxes all for about $13 ($12.39-$13.48) - the only difference being their three velocities... 960, 1090, and 1160. Why should I choose one over the other two?

Your particular gun will like some ammo better than others and be more accurate. I prefer heavier bullets. I can load them to very low velocities creating hardly any recoil at all. You need heavier bullets to knock down some steel targets. I like 'em heavy, don't really care about velocity too much. I typically keep all my 9mm rounds under 1200fps anyways. I'm not trying to break any speed records.

LoneWolf1
09-06-2011, 9:40 PM
Don't worry about velocities right now. Go with the least expensive of the three, which is the 115gr.

c3 rolling
09-06-2011, 9:48 PM
I only shoot Tula, Wolf, and reloads out of my Glocks and 1911. No problems whatsoever and I shoot about 1-2 thousand rounds a month. As for the Glock 34, mine tended to like like hotter ammo or else it would get upset and toss brass in my face.

nrgcruizer
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Shoot everything else, but the hard primed corrosive 9mm ammo from Pakistan being sold in Sportsman's Guide. It's not designed for striker firing pins. It's designed for SMGs. Your Glock should eat everything else.

1k Sellier & Bellot 9mm 115 FMJ (brass/boxer primed) can be had for about $187 from Cabela's. They run clean in my 9mms. UMC have been one of the dirtiest ammo I have shot. Dirtier than PMC.

Firerescuebatt07
09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I never had issues with winchester when I owned my glock. I would use american eagle, fiocchi, and cci blazers. no issues

Javi
09-06-2011, 10:53 PM
How about 115 grain USAammo? Think the general consensus for their variety of rounds is that they're good to go. I'll be getting 500...reloads, I think. Still deciding between new or reloads:

http://www.usaammo.com/9mm-Luger-115-gr-FMJ-New-P67.aspx

tbhracing
09-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I haven't bought factory 9mm in a long time, but I do know that Win brass is some of the best out there to reload. I prefer it. That's why I'm surprised that you don't like it. Plus I didn't think it was that cheap.

Whatever floats your boat. When both of my Glocks only FTE and FTF a couple times in 1000s of rounds and its only ONE BRAND, I will pass on that manufacturer.

So no WWB for me.

:chris: