PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara Glass Factory - OCT 1st!!! Sponsors In Place!!!!

Deadbolt
09-06-2011, 2:35 PM
*looks at watch

well shhhhhiiiiitttttt..... I suppose we're due. Anyone currently attending CC or UC want to talk flyers and promo on the campuses ?

Timewise, maybe first week in OCT? what works for everyone ?

OCTOBER 1ST -> GLASS FACTORY RANGE CLEAN UP!!!!!

Huge Cheers for you guys pulling together the sponsors :clap:

venturasurf
09-06-2011, 2:59 PM
1st week on OCT is good for me. I'll be there with the family and a pickup truck and shovels.

gtturborex
09-06-2011, 8:54 PM
I'm generally down for whenever as long as we have advanced notice. I thought we were waiting for Craig to set this one up?

Oh well, let's do this...

ckprax
09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I should be able to make it. I haven't been to the glass factory since the last clean up but I'm sure there is plenty to clean.

Does anyone else prefer Saturday over Sunday?

gtturborex
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I should be able to make it. I haven't been to the glass factory since the last clean up but I'm sure there is plenty to clean.

Does anyone else prefer Saturday over Sunday?

Saturday is fine with me. I think we went with Sunday last time because the majority wanted it. Either day is good.

Deadbolt
09-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm generally down for whenever as long as we have advanced notice. I thought we were waiting for Craig to set this one up?

Oh well, let's do this...

Ooops! Didn't realize, i'd happily defer to his schedule

venturasurf
09-07-2011, 1:44 PM
Saturday is definitely best for me.

gtturborex
09-07-2011, 1:48 PM
Ooops! Didn't realize, i'd happily defer to his schedule

It was supposed to take place sometime in August though. I'm sure he will chime in here. Let's get it setup in the mean time.

ckprax
09-07-2011, 2:41 PM
I will put the word out to the Santa Barbara Gun Club on Facebook once we decide on a date. Last time that got at least 2 people to show up. School will be starting up again so hopefully we can get a few more.

Deadbolt
09-07-2011, 3:15 PM
I will put the word out to the Santa Barbara Gun Club on Facebook once we decide on a date. Last time that got at least 2 people to show up. School will be starting up again so hopefully we can get a few more.

This is why im suggesting an Oct date. No mid terms and no holidays.

Students also generally need an excuse like this to bring up the topic of firearms since this town's UC culture is essentially anti-gun (at the college / new college student age level at least it is).

Perhaps we should consider tailoring one event a year (or semester?) specifically to getting college students involved?

dougolupski
09-07-2011, 7:55 PM
Well Im in for Oct., dont have a real good clean up car though. The mini cant fit to much in it but I got a shovel and a good back.
Doug

gtturborex
09-08-2011, 5:54 AM
Well Im in for Oct., dont have a real good clean up car though. The mini cant fit to much in it but I got a shovel and a good back.
Doug

Thats all you need generally for these events. Well maybe some gloves...

The last few cleanups we've had outstanding support from Marborg. They have donated dumpsters to us. Hopefully this can happen again.

I think we need to get more word out this time. Fliers need to go out to the local gun shops and definitely need to go out at the range itself as a fair warning. I think there are some fliers in one of the other threads for the Glass Factory. I will get some of those printed up and make sure they are posted at my local shop.

We just need a set date...

ckprax
09-08-2011, 8:58 AM
I think either the first or second weekend in October would be best since midterms usually fall right around Halloween. Get it early before students have much of a workload.

Can we post a flier in this thread? I will print some out and bring them to the local shops here in Goleta, SB.

Deadbolt
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
if we can get the date ok'd w/ Craig then I can whip up some nice, saucy, enticing fliers asap.

Nate
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
if we can get the date ok'd w/ Craig then I can whip up some nice, saucy, enticing fliers asap.

I will text him and let him know.

Which Way Out
09-10-2011, 9:37 AM
Guys I'd like to help but I will be at Lake Havasu the first weekend of OCT. and the second weekend fishing Bishop Creek and other waters nearby.

That's the Good Bad and the Ugly. Sorry

uyoga
09-10-2011, 9:31 PM
I'd like to help out as I am able. Willl keep monitoring this thread.

vintagearms
09-10-2011, 9:37 PM
Anything but the weekends of the 8th (avo fest) and the 15th (have photoshoot with Robert Downey Jr.). Other than those dates, Im good.

gtturborex
09-13-2011, 7:13 AM
I will text him and let him know.

Hey Nate, have we got a hold of Craig yet? We need to lock down the date soon if it is the first weekend of October.

Thanks,
Mike

Cummins_Powered
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, I will certainly be there to help out. I missed the last one unfortunately so Ill make sure to get to this one.

I go to the UC as well so if you guys want to get some fliers together i could post them around school and such.

Deadbolt
09-13-2011, 2:30 PM
Oct 1st might be a little tight now. I originally posted this thread to gauge interest - looks like there is some, lets see what Nate comes back with.

ckprax
09-13-2011, 6:53 PM
Seems like there is some interest in the clean up, I vote for Saturday the 8th.

Nate
09-15-2011, 7:56 PM
Hey Nate, have we got a hold of Craig yet? We need to lock down the date soon if it is the first weekend of October.

Thanks,
Mike

I talked to him on Monday. He said he was going to try and log on this week. He's a contractor and had surgery on his knee about a month ago. He's been real busy now that he's moving around again.

gtturborex
09-16-2011, 5:46 AM
I talked to him on Monday. He said he was going to try and log on this week. He's a contractor and had surgery on his knee about a month ago. He's been real busy now that he's moving around again.

Sorry to here that. I hope he gets better soon. Thanks for your help!

KidnK9s
09-16-2011, 8:38 AM
Nate got a hold of me... I've made some calls and will post ASAP... The 1st of Oct. sounds good to me. More to follow... Thanx for all of the support for the Glass Factory...!

gtturborex
09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Nate got a hold of me... I've made some calls and will post ASAP... The 1st of Oct. sounds good to me. More to follow... Thanx for all of the support for the Glass Factory...!

Great! Thanks again Craig!!

dougolupski
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I was up there on saturday and she was dirty. Lots of blown burned up monitors and tv's. A-hole blew up a refirgerator as well while I was there.

Cummins_Powered
09-18-2011, 6:05 PM
Im very open, so any weekend day works for me. Ill keep checking back, this will be my first time im around for a cleanup so i definitely want to be there to help out.

Deadbolt
09-19-2011, 2:00 PM
I was up there on saturday and she was dirty. Lots of blown burned up monitors and tv's. A-hole blew up a refirgerator as well while I was there.

classly

dougolupski
09-19-2011, 2:15 PM
Yep, like my buddy tells me. Get there early to shoot with the locals. Get there late to get shot by the ruffians. Yeah the guy had a full auto machine gun and a couple propane tanks he blew up.

venturasurf
09-19-2011, 2:27 PM
Yep, like my buddy tells me. Get there early to shoot with the locals. Get there late to get shot by the ruffians. Yeah the guy had a full auto machine gun and a couple propane tanks he blew up.

Was that this Saturday? The guys on the left hand range blasting away full auto with the propane tanks and balloons everywhere?

jak77
09-19-2011, 2:35 PM
I would totally join you guys, but sadly im not in the area after I graduated from UCSB last summer. Did participate in one cleanup while I was there. That place needs if often as it gets trashed quick by the idiots. Kudos to deadbolt for always getting things going with this. I always liked shooting tter and miss having a place to go without a bunch of "rules" other than the basic gun safety rules

Deadbolt
09-19-2011, 2:40 PM

sadly the case. Any non-clean up day, and you should try to be packed and rolling out by 11:30am. Between 11 and noon the goons usually roll in with beer and the tvs.....

dougolupski
09-19-2011, 2:52 PM
Was that this Saturday? The guys on the left hand range blasting away full auto with the propane tanks and balloons everywhere?

Yep it was this Saturday. I was the inadvertent dick knocking down clays who made fun of the .410 shotgun. I was a "that guy" this weekend. My bad if you are who I think you might be Ventura.

I agree and my friend stated the same rule. In by 8 out by 11 to avoid the shenanigans.

venturasurf
09-19-2011, 3:05 PM
Yep it was this Saturday. I was the inadvertent dick knocking down clays who made fun of the .410 shotgun.

You!!!! lol

:p

I was there with the three other guys (two of them very noobish) and a bunch of commie guns and an AR - we were the ones plinking at that steel I-beam about 250 yards up the hill. We got there at 8 and bugged out by 11 just when the yayhoos with the rapid fire and propane were getting started.

Fun morning but I agree - the shmucks really come out of the woodwork at noon there.

Deadbolt
09-19-2011, 3:37 PM
You!!!! lol

:p

I was there with the three other guys (two of them very noobish) and a bunch of commie guns and an AR - we were the ones plinking at that steel I-beam about 250 yards up the hill. We got there at 8 and bugged out by 11 just when the yayhoos with the rapid fire and propane were getting started.

Fun morning but I agree - the shmucks really come out of the woodwork at noon there.

just to be clear, if i recall correctly, laser range finder put the location where the metal tanks / plates are usually placed around 125yrcs. (it appears much further bc of elevation change)

dougolupski
09-19-2011, 3:47 PM
Nope I didn't directly insult your man hood. I got there just as you were leaving. I had gone shooting at Shooters Paradise on Friday night and decided to do the yahoo run on Saturday.

You missed it then, the guys at lowers through one of there tanks in a refrigerator on the hill and blew it up.

venturasurf
09-19-2011, 4:00 PM
Nope I didn't directly insult your man hood. I got there just as you were leaving. I had gone shooting at Shooters Paradise on Friday night and decided to do the yahoo run on Saturday.

You missed it then, the guys at lowers through one of there tanks in a refrigerator on the hill and blew it up.

Oh okay I think I remember you then.

I'm surprised nobody said anything to them for blowing up a refrigerator, it was bad enough when they were spraying everything full auto and drawing attention. Lemme guess... they left the fridge guts there on the range too. People are idiots.

venturasurf
09-19-2011, 4:07 PM
just to be clear, if i recall correctly, laser range finder put the location where the metal tanks / plates are usually placed around 125yrcs. (it appears much further bc of elevation change)

Maybe a different spot? There's that ditch then another rise where the people put the plates and tanks out which looks 100ish yards - then further on up I'm talking about way at the top of the hill where there's hardly any backstop left where the deer usually run across. I want one of those laser rangefinders!

dougolupski
09-19-2011, 5:05 PM
It was in alot of pieces so I would imagine theres some there for us to pick up. The full auto really surprised me. I am scared S@!T less of a gun felony. Running that is just asking for one.

gtturborex
09-20-2011, 6:05 AM
If the referigerator was shot up in the lower area sadly we generally don't make it that far down before our dumpster is full. There is plenty of trash on the upper area for us to contend with.

Deadbolt
09-20-2011, 9:28 AM
It was in alot of pieces so I would imagine theres some there for us to pick up. The full auto really surprised me. I am scared S@!T less of a gun felony. Running that is just asking for one.

very well could be a RAW

dougolupski
09-20-2011, 5:30 PM
RAW? Learn me something new. I thought all full autos were banned in CA even after the registration they had to be converted to semi auto?

KidnK9s
09-20-2011, 9:21 PM
I have the Rangers onboard w/ a good chance of a Fire Crew to help. Marborg, as usual, will be there with as many dumpsters as we need and a portable potty.

I hope we have a good show of hands to help out for it is a short notice.

Also, there is a great ebb tide swelling in the direction of closing down the Glass Factory "Permanently" due to the yahoo crowd and a certain Santa Barbara Club whom uses the road for it's WHEELED EVENTS and is worried about STRAYS reaching over the berms and tagging a cranium.

It's a bad scene... In this case... the few will ruin it for the many... and it will be over... forever. I'm a small guy, but have no problem walking up to a group and talking things out. It isn't always well received, but at least I put forward an effort. I realize this type of action is tenuous at best and I want no one risking themselves or loved ones in trying to self-police.

I'm just saying'...

I hope the range stays open. Let me see a sign of hands of those who can help-out. I'll bring some tools, waters and try for hot-dogs.

Thanx,

Craig

P.S. - private message me so I'll get pinged on my phone.

dougolupski
09-21-2011, 5:18 AM
Im in. Got a shovel, rake and gloves.

gtturborex
09-21-2011, 5:38 AM
In as usual Craig. I can help out with the food as well. I can supply the hotdogs and buns if it will help out.

So we are set for the 1st of October?

Mike

KidnK9s
09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok then... Let's do it. Sat. Oct 1st from 8:00 to 5:00. Wheel barrels, rakes, flat blade shovels, gloves and a strong backs. Ranger Larry will be there @ 9:30 for gun control. I'll bring an ez-up and a grill, coolers with ice and waters.

Someone bring the dogs, buns and fixings, that would help me out.

I am still working on improvements to the range; more shooting benches, permeant signs, and hidden video cameras. Also, a long shade structure to cover the firing line... But working on government funding is a nightmare.

Thanx again...

CJ

venturasurf
09-21-2011, 3:36 PM

I'll bring some hot links and brats too :)

ckprax
09-21-2011, 6:11 PM
I should be able to make it on the first. Will we be shooting again or is this all business?

Which Way Out
09-21-2011, 6:18 PM
I want to be there but have to be out of town.

Craig and everyone thanks for all you do.

Bill

Ima2Avoter
09-21-2011, 9:01 PM
Any way a noobie could join in on the fun? I'm willing to help out, might need someone to commute with. I can provide some equipment if I could get help bringing it. My car won't handle most of it safely. I've been looking for a place to shoot since all the places in Ventura are becoming EPA friendly and won't allow reloads or surplus ammo. Could someone PM me and fill me in?

ckprax
09-21-2011, 9:32 PM
Any way a noobie could join in on the fun? I'm willing to help out, might need someone to commute with. I can provide some equipment if I could get help bringing it. My car won't handle most of it safely. I've been looking for a place to shoot since all the places in Ventura are becoming EPA friendly and won't allow reloads or surplus ammo. Could someone PM me and fill me in?

Newcomers are always welcome, the more the merrier. I am sure someone in Ventura would be willing to give you a ride up, otherwise there should be enough rakes and shovels to go around.

gtturborex
09-22-2011, 5:54 AM

I've got these. I will just need a final count so I know how much to buy.

Mike

Ima2Avoter
09-22-2011, 8:54 AM
Newcomers are always welcome, the more the merrier. I am sure someone in Ventura would be willing to give you a ride up, otherwise there should be enough rakes and shovels to go around.

Fab, all I want to do is be productive and a part of a solution to the guns/shooting issue around the region I live in. Sooooo, if anybody is willing to carpool, I will be glad to help out. I'm unemployed, so gas is one of those luxuries I kinda scrimp on. If not, at least directions to the cleanup (if I can rustle up some extra go-go juice for my metal steed) would be appreciated. Not seeing anyone from Ventura so far on this thread. Would we also be slingin' lead too? If so, what's allowed....remember, noobie here.

gtturborex
09-22-2011, 9:13 AM
Fab, all I want to do is be productive and a part of a solution to the guns/shooting issue around the region I live in. Sooooo, if anybody is willing to carpool, I will be glad to help out. I'm unemployed, so gas is one of those luxuries I kinda scrimp on. If not, at least directions to the cleanup (if I can rustle up some extra go-go juice for my metal steed) would be appreciated. Not seeing anyone from Ventura so far on this thread. Would we also be slingin' lead too? If so, what's allowed....remember, noobie here.

I can't help with the whole car ride from Ventura thing but...

If we shoot or not will be determined by the amount of people that show up and help us out. The more people we have, the quicker the cleanup will be finished. Then we eat and shoot!

From the past cleanups I've attended it took ~3hrs for ~25 people to fill one of the 40ft dumpsters.

venturasurf
09-22-2011, 9:30 AM
Not seeing anyone from Ventura so far on this thread.

Do you mind a car full of screaming kids? I'll work the energy out of them at the cleanup so the ride back would be quiet. I gotta check with the old lady too to see if it's kosher.

gtturborex
09-22-2011, 9:38 AM
Hey Deadbolt,

Looks like we are setup for the 1st of October. Can we get the OP updated to get a count of those that are going?

I'm in with at least 2 others.

Roll call time...

gtturborex
09-22-2011, 9:58 AM
Private messages have been sent out to those that have helped or that showed some interest in helping in the past cleanups. Hopefully we get some more support to chime in here.

Mike

Dead*Reckoned
09-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Sorry guys, I'm going to school out of state, wish I could be there to help again, it was great meeting all of you at the last one!

LuluSS
09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Me, Scott and one other might make it out. No guarantee yet. Will let you guys know by this weekend!

I haven't been out there in a LONG time!

gtturborex
09-22-2011, 1:00 PM
Sorry guys, I'm going to school out of state, wish I could be there to help again, it was great meeting all of you at the last one!

Glad to see you are making your life better!! Good luck with school.

Me, Scott and one other might make it out. No guarantee yet. Will let you guys know by this weekend!

I haven't been out there in a LONG time!

Great hope to see you out there. I haven't been out there since the last cleanup in June.

LuluSS
09-22-2011, 1:48 PM
I didn't even make that clean-up! It was cutting it to close to my wedding in July. Last time I was there was the clean up before the June one!

Picking up my new P95 tomorrow though. Slowly starting to rebuild my collection :)

ckprax
09-22-2011, 2:52 PM
Private messages have been sent out to those that have helped or that showed some interest in helping in the past cleanups. Hopefully we get some more support to chime in here.

Mike

What message? :shrug:

I should be good to go. Probably just me but I will see if I can round up a buddy or two. I will bring some rakes and gloves like last time (and a bunch of guns).

Deadbolt
09-22-2011, 3:48 PM
Hey Deadbolt,

Looks like we are setup for the 1st of October. Can we get the OP updated to get a count of those that are going?

I'm in with at least 2 others.

Roll call time...

Rodger! Done

d4v0s
09-22-2011, 4:14 PM
I missed the one a while back due to work, I will be at this one for sure. I bought two shovels and two rakes, trash bags, and 5 gallon buckets for the last one, Finally get to break them in!

I am in Ojai, So if anyone needs a ride from VTA let me know. Ill be taking the Quad Cab up, so plenty of room.

so I got rakes, shovels, trash bags, buckets, easy up, table, and cooler with waters.. Missing anything?

KidnK9s
09-22-2011, 7:53 PM
Just a heads-up... My last clean-up filled 3 1/2 40 yard dumpsters... I had over 50 souls there... and we finished around 5:00. If we get time to target... GREAT, but the clean-up is the deal, because of what it takes to get this kinda thing done. Plus... the sun is goin' down a little sooner these days.

But I would say... "Bring 'em if ya got 'em!"

Thanx again for the support!

Craig

gtturborex
09-23-2011, 5:45 AM
What message? :shrug:

I should be good to go. Probably just me but I will see if I can round up a buddy or two. I will bring some rakes and gloves like last time (and a bunch of guns).

I sent the PMs to people that haven't replied in this thread. You have already been active in this one. I went through the last couple threads and got the names from others that had helped before.

If you really want a PM I can send you one:p

Mike

Deadbolt
09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Just a heads-up... My last clean-up filled 3 1/2 40 yard dumpsters... I had over 50 souls there... and we finished around 5:00. If we get time to target... GREAT, but the clean-up is the deal, because of what it takes to get this kinda thing done. Plus... the sun is goin' down a little sooner these days.

But I would say... "Bring 'em if ya got 'em!"

Thanx again for the support!

Craig

Excellent Reminder

While this is for calgunners traditionally a "Clean n Shoot" - because of the resources levied by sponsors and such, please be cognisant that range cleanup and 100% resource capacity and utilization is our top priority.

Also - I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but the Rangers usually post up and "close the range to fire" @prrx 9am. So if you're dead set on getting some fire time in, please make whatever arrangements you need to in order to get to the range and get your shooting time in before 9am start.

Craig, the 9am start is still the intended begin time, correct?

Deadbolt
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
on a head count : at least myself. I might have anywhere from 1 - 4 others coming, i will confirm as this gets closer

gtturborex
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
on a head count : at least myself. I might have anywhere from 1 - 4 others coming, i will confirm as this gets closer

Me +2 for sure.
Sub95 is in as well even though he hasn't posted here.

Sub95
09-23-2011, 5:08 PM
:D i might be able to get 1 other.

ckprax
09-24-2011, 9:28 PM
I'm in.

user65
09-25-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm in. I should be able to bring at least one other.

Cummins_Powered
09-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Tentative yes for me as of now. Hopefully i can make it up there.

gtturborex
09-26-2011, 8:04 AM
I'm counting ~15 people so far. We are going to need more than this to make a dent in that place. Come on guys'...

Deadbolt
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
i unfortunately do not participate in Facebook anylonger, so right now its just me +1 guaranteed. I'm trying to get ahold of the friends that had helped in the past but im not sure they will have enough lead time

user65
09-26-2011, 7:32 PM
I'm bringin 18 burgers/buns/cheese and a small bbq.

GTturbo, are you bringing ketchup/mustard with those dogs?

I'm counting ~15 people so far. We are going to need more than this to make a dent in that place. Come on guys'...

SilentPea
09-26-2011, 8:35 PM
I'm in for at least the morning part of it. Might be +1, but can only count on myself at the moment.

gtturborex
09-27-2011, 7:30 AM
I'm bringin 18 burgers/buns/cheese and a small bbq.

GTturbo, are you bringing ketchup/mustard with those dogs?

Yes, I've got the dogs, buns, ketchup, and mustard covered. We just need a final count so I know how much to buy.

Ima2Avoter
09-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Sorry for bothering everyone, but if I can't hitch a ride with "VenturaSurf", could someone at least give me directions to this place? Might be able to scrape together funds for gas and even bring the little lady with me for more help.

Deadbolt
09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Sorry for bothering everyone, but if I can't hitch a ride with "VenturaSurf", could someone at least give me directions to this place? Might be able to scrape together funds for gas and even bring the little lady with me for more help.

sure - heres the location :

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=santa+barbara+glass+factory&ll=34.507229,-119.752457&spn=0.011387,0.022724&fb=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,16869106903288448545&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&iwloc=A

dougolupski
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
From Ventura 101 north you will exit State street and continue straight onto El Camino Real. ( Stay straight off the off ramp ) Turn right onto CA 154 about a 1/3 of a mile away. Go up 154 ( watch speed lots of cops on the weekend ) about 7 miles. Once you begin to clear the cliff and get into the pass the street East Camino Cielo will come up on the right quickly. Make the right and travel on Camino Cielo for about 20 min. You will pass Painted cave road on the right continue roughly 5 more minutes then look to the left for a turn out will a parking area. You should see a bunch of people to clean or a lot of trash or both. On the way out there is a small parking area for Knap Castle where you may see some cars. The glass factory has an actual parking area and some tables so dont get them confused.

gtturborex
09-28-2011, 12:11 PM

I'll chip in $5 to make it easier for you to come out and help. Just come introduce yourself and I'll give you $5. Easy as that;)

dougolupski
09-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Damn it I typed it. No wonder you beat me to it Deadbolt.

gtturborex
09-28-2011, 2:04 PM
Here's a better explanation of directions after you get on East Camino Cielo:

automatikdonn

Just remember when you're going up the hill... keep going until you think you are lost, go some more, then when you think you're really lost... go some more! haha

Deadbolt
09-28-2011, 2:16 PM
Here's a better explanation of directions after you get on East Camino Cielo:

:rofl: basically truth. Right about the time you abandon all hope and assume you are out in the middle of no where - suddenly a pasture of washing machines, tvs and computers riddled with bullet holes appears before you

:D

Deadbolt
09-28-2011, 2:16 PM
oh and if it helps - Ima2Avoter - Ill put a couple bucks in your gas fund too :) - But you need to earn my money. I want a hand drawn picture of Robo Cop high fiving Ronald Reagan.

(seriously).

IllTemperedCur
09-30-2011, 2:55 PM
I'm probably in for tomorrow. Haven't been able to carve out the time to attend a GF cleanup for about a year, but I'm about 80% for this one. Hope to see everyone there!

Ima2Avoter
10-01-2011, 12:57 AM
No money needed to bribe me, I'll be there, but I might not be able to arrive before 9:30-10:00am. Gotta get the stuff from garage and rouse the sleepy son. Wife refuses to come, says she only gets to clean house on the weekend. Didn't argue, already in doghouse.

venturasurf
10-01-2011, 6:47 AM
No money needed to bribe me, I'll be there, but I might not be able to arrive before 9:30-10:00am. Gotta get the stuff from garage and rouse the sleepy son. Wife refuses to come, says she only gets to clean house on the weekend. Didn't argue, already in doghouse.

Dude, do you still need a ride? We're leaving in 30 mins or so let me know I'll keep checking here til we leave.

Ima2Avoter
10-01-2011, 5:14 PM
Had a blast working my oversized gluteus maximus off today. Thank all of you for the warm welcome. For those of you that help familiarize me with various types/styles of handguns and rifles, I thank you for the experience AND for puttln' a burr under my "gotta have" saddle. Looks like I know where some of the future mad money will go.:D

Sub95
10-01-2011, 6:50 PM
here is so me pics of before, but we already got some of the bigger stuff in the dumbster. and forgot to take after pics, but alot cleaner. and it was way to hot out there today.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/Sub95/DSC_8230.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/Sub95/DSC_8254.jpg

ckprax
10-01-2011, 7:05 PM
I was wondering if there were any after photos, too bad. But I can confirm it looks a lot better.

For those of you not there we got all of the trash you see in the second photo (there was a whole lot you couldn't see) and a bit more. The dumpster was full to the brim.

venturasurf
10-02-2011, 7:52 AM
Well the kids were acting up in school and got escalated to "parent contact" this last week and I thought making them pick up trash would be decent penance for them. It kind of backfired - they had so much fun they didn't want to leave, they talked the whole way back about all the new friends they made and now they're asking when we're going back to do it again.

Ima2Avoter
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry about that, if I knew there was punishment involved, the wheel barrel rides would have been them pushing me up the hill :p But they were good kids to work with, listened and didn't complain at all really.

venturasurf
10-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry about that, if I knew there was punishment involved, the wheel barrel rides would have been them pushing me up the hill :p But they were good kids to work with, listened and didn't complain at all really.

Oh that was YOU lol - yeah Ryan calls you his best friend now.

"My new best friend gives me rides in the wheelbarrow" and "my new best friend is really cool" and "I like my best friend's hat", he went on and on about best friend this and best friend that all the way back to the 101.

Thanks for the wheelbarrow rides, punishment or not. The boys need lots of experiences like that around good people and good causes and they'll carry those memories with them always.

Ima2Avoter
10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh that was YOU lol - yeah Ryan calls you his best friend now.

"My new best friend gives me rides in the wheelbarrow" and "my new best friend is really cool" and "I like my best friend's hat", he went on and on about best friend this and best friend that all the way back to the 101.

Thanks for the wheelbarrow rides, punishment or not. The boys need lots of experiences like that around good people and good causes and they'll carry those memories with them always.

It was an eye-opening experience for me , plus I got to make friends with two well behaved young men (not to mention all the great people I talked with) with a spirit of adventure plus they were very inquisitive. You've got a couple of great little guys there. Thank you, for the opportunity to help a situation get better. By the way, I apologize for not formally introducing myself to you. That was a grievous error on my part. At least now, someone can vouch for me, tell Ryan I enjoyed working with him. They BOTH are really great boys, you should both be proud of them

venturasurf
10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Some pictures my wife took... there's lots more I can put up but I don't know how some here feel about their pics being put online.

http://i.imgur.com/YUhCl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ClzFc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WGXQv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s5rW3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rCZMC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KappW.jpg

gtturborex
10-03-2011, 7:36 AM
Thanks everybody for all the hard work. I had a great time as did my nephew.

Special thanks to Marborg for being so generous with their resources!!

Maybe next time it won't be so hot out there.

Deadbolt
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Ahhh good to see my legs made it in for the Historical Sagas :lol:

Good stuff, sorry I could only stay for 3hrs

Lady_n_Red
10-05-2011, 8:13 AM
Some pictures my wife took... there's lots more I can put up but I don't know how some here feel about their pics being put online.

http://i.imgur.com/YUhCl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ClzFc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WGXQv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s5rW3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KappW.jpg

I say put them up! JK... Such a great time out there and the kids had a blast! I was very glad to be apart of this event and really look forward in getting to know more people in Calguns!

Lady_n_Red
10-05-2011, 8:14 AM
I say put them up! JK... Such a great time out there and the kids had a blast! I was very glad to be apart of this event and really look forward in getting to know more people in Calguns!

Rusty Scabbard
12-11-2011, 8:31 AM
Here's a belated thanks to everyone here who helps clean the glass facto, sorry I couldn't make it to the last effort. I took some coworkers up yesterday and it still looks 10x better then it did a few years ago. It looks like a lot of shooters are starting to be a little more responsible as well. I saw a few TV's and a bunch of plastic trash, but nowhere near the accumulation I've seen before.

joash
10-21-2012, 9:54 PM
I went by yesterday on my bicycle and was appalled by what I saw. Is the place even still open?

gtturborex
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I went by yesterday on my bicycle and was appalled by what I saw. Is the place even still open?

It is closed through the end of the fire season. I'm sure it's pretty bad up there right now.

Eat Dirt
10-24-2012, 7:05 AM
To all that did such a Great job on that Clean-Up::Thanks
Some really nice pictures / Great to see the kids doing such a good job ( Nice parenting Too ! )
We just had another BLM Clean-up down here at a local area near Perris on Saturday
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=606961

Let me know if you need one of these:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/eatdirt76/013-2.jpg

I made the first sign a while back for the Clean-Ups we started in Bee Canyon
Got approval from the Forest Service to place a sign out in the canyons after cleaning them
Now the efforts have moved out to BLM areas
They have No Problem with us sticking a sign in the ground and are So pleased with all our efforts
Now we all know what will happen to a paper sign over time out in a shooting area ..But .....I Hope ...It will make some people stop and think before leaving a pile of junk out there
And it has worked on that level down here

When I did my first clean-Up down here ,,I had just 2 people show up ,,Now ,,,When I post an " Event" and others jump on it and keep the thread going . I'll have a Heard of Great Cal-Gun people signing up to help
At the first perris 'Event' I contacted the local paper about it and they did a nice article / That drew out even more people to help !!
( Must of had 70 people total for that one !!!! )
This last clean-up we filled a large dumpster like the one you had by noon ...........
Then of course ...Plinking after !!

gtturborex
10-24-2012, 8:13 AM
To all that did such a Great job on that Clean-Up::Thanks
Some really nice pictures / Great to see the kids doing such a good job ( Nice parenting Too ! )
We just had another BLM Clean-up down here at a local area near Perris on Saturday
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=606961

Let me know if you need one of these:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/eatdirt76/013-2.jpg

You've already sent these to me for our next cleanup... We are just waiting out the fire season which should end shortly.

Thanks again!

Mike

artoaster
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I just wish I could have contributed. All of you who participated are fine representatives of the sport.

It's too bad that this and every other public shooting area is visited by people with no regard for the privilege, the environment, other shooters, the managers and employees who deal with this problem, and for the image of shooters in general.

I hope to get out there soon and bring my own trash bags to pick up again what I can as well as not leave any of my trash behind.

Would it be a good idea to talk to rangers about building a bulletin board that shows photos of clean-ups yet stresses that all should not leave trash behind? I would think if done might create a sense of community and people who abuse the range would be seen as violators of the common regard of the Glass Factory.

winslowgirl
10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Would it be a good idea to talk to rangers about building a bulletin board that shows photos of clean-ups yet stresses that all should not leave trash behind? I would think if done might create a sense of community and people who abuse the range would be seen as violators of the common regard of the Glass Factory.Then again you are in danger of falling foul of the law of unintended consequences, where the extra publicity and official scrutiny/involvement results in that little bit of space we are allocated being closed permanently.

TwinStick
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I took my Mom and Wife to SY for some wine last weekend. There were cops and cones blocking ECC at the 154. Was that just an isolated incident, or is the road closed for some reason? I'm looking for something to do Sunday and I'd love to take my daughter for a drive to the glass factory and beyond. She's too young for shooting, so it being closed is fine, but I'd certainly leave with a couple bags of trash. I've yet to shoot there, but I go camping back there about once a year and I look forward to shooting there.

Deadbolt
10-25-2012, 3:13 PM
I took my Mom and Wife to SY for some wine last weekend. There were cops and cones blocking ECC at the 154. Was that just an isolated incident, or is the road closed for some reason? I'm looking for something to do Sunday and I'd love to take my daughter for a drive to the glass factory and beyond. She's too young for shooting, so it being closed is fine, but I'd certainly leave with a couple bags of trash. I've yet to shoot there, but I go camping back there about once a year and I look forward to shooting there.

there was a downed powerline fire in the area - probably the reason