PDA

View Full Version : ruger single six 22mag?

wolfy
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
can this be made to shoot 22lr with a cylinder change, like the convertable model?

davek8s
09-06-2011, 1:05 PM
I recall reading that the cylinders are a match to the pistol they come with and are not interchangeable. It has something to do with timing I think. So if you lost a cylinder, you couldn't just order a new one or buy a used one.

My guess is, it's not possible.

OpticsPlanet
09-06-2011, 3:35 PM
I agree with davek8s in that they are matched to the gun when new. Ruger used to put the gun's serial number in between the chambers on both cylinders. However, I tend to think that you could have a new .22lr cylinder fitted at the factory, if you wanted.

George P.

78USN98
09-06-2011, 4:28 PM
Is it a true .22mag or did the .22lr cylinder get lost? You can find out by calling Ruger's service department and the nice lady there will take your serial # and tell you then and there what that particular gun was shipped out as. If it was made for .22mag only then I would guess that they can't fit a LR cylinder to it. If it was a convertible model then they will and if memory serves me right, it would be about 100 bucks.
Give them a call. They will give you date it shipped from Ruger and its model.
Good Luck!

tileguy
09-06-2011, 5:13 PM
Call ruger see if it was a convertible if so you can find 22lr cyl. Used from 30 to 80 dollars. You might have to file a little off the front of the cyl. The little piece on the front. I did it wrks great.

sk8804
09-06-2011, 5:20 PM
cylinders are not a drop in part. They have to be timed or you risk damage to the gun and yourself. they could time a lr cylinder but it will cost.

Oceanbob
09-06-2011, 5:44 PM
You might have a rare Ruger...Cut and paste:

RUGER OLD MODEL SINGLE-SIX “MAGNUM ONLY” REVOLVERS

PRODUCED 1959 - 1962

GENERAL OVERVIEW

The .22 Magnum cartridge was introduced by Winchester in 1959. Ruger introduced its Single-Six single action revolver in .22 “Magnum Only” around June of that same year.

The Magnum guns had 6-1/2 inch barrels, round loading gates, checkered black hard rubber grips, and no firing pin groove in the rear of the cylinder. They were roll-marked “RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN. .22 RF MAG. CAL” in two lines on the left side of the cylinder frame. In early 1960 the Magnum Only guns were also made available with varnished walnut grip panels.

These Magnum Only guns were put in a special serial number range of their own beginning with 300000 and ending at 340XXX. About March 1961 Ruger began to produce these Magnum Only marked guns with an extra .22 caliber cylinder. The extra cylinder, the .22 caliber in this case, had the last three digits of the gun’s serial number stamped on its front face, close to the cylinder base pin hole. The idea of producing these dual cylinder guns or a “convertible” came from customers requesting that Ruger retrofit their “Magnum Only” single-cylinder guns with a .22 caliber cylinder or their .22 caliber only single-cylinder guns with a Magnum cylinder.

The “Magnum Only” marked guns came in a black and red box with a yellow wreath on top like the standard Single-Six but designated with Cat. No.“RSSM” on the box end labeling.

The production of these “Magnum Only” Single-Sixes ended sometime in August – September 1962. The 6-1/2” barrel length soon was made available in the standard “Single-Six .22 Caliber/.22 Magnum Convertible” model. The boxes for these 6-1/2 inch barrel convertibles continued to be marked with the catalog number “RSSM”, not RSS6, throughout the Old Model Single-Six production that ended in 1972.

I would call RUGER with the serial number and see what they can do.

Good luck!

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_MagnumOnly_SingleSix.htm

78USN98
09-06-2011, 7:44 PM
Another indicator that you might have the "Magnum only" is to see if it is a New Model or the Old Model. You may know this but the New Model has 2 pins in the frame where as an "Old Model" has 3 screws in the frame. The Old Model would put you in that range. The New model definately not.
Oceanbob nailed it and has very good advice there. A picture here would also be really nice if you can give one.
Tileguy is also correct in his post and I have been lucky enough to have a cylinder fit but have also had a few that didn't. Lead spit everywhere!

wolfy
09-06-2011, 7:48 PM
I was just wondering because some guy offered to trade me an amp for one. It's a true mag gun and doubt I want to spend another 100 to send to ruger. According to the ruger website it's 50 to fit a cylinder plus parts, and shipping. The amp is about $350, the guy also offered a model 28 highway patrolman, or a model 586 with 6" barrel. The patrolman is interesting but I would rather have a model 66 or 19.

Oceanbob
09-06-2011, 8:07 PM
I was just wondering because some guy offered to trade me an amp for one. It's a true mag gun and doubt I want to spend another 100 to send to ruger. According to the ruger website it's 50 to fit a cylinder plus parts, and shipping. The amp is about $350, the guy also offered a model 28 highway patrolman, or a model 586 with 6" barrel. The patrolman is interesting but I would rather have a model 66 or 19.

It's hard to determine a value; Rugers that are rare cost more. If this is indeed a .22 mag built in the late 50s early 60s and is in good shape then the value is there. However, this was before RUGER did a recall on all their single-actions to install a transfer bar safety system. I don't know if this weapon qualifies and I would not be surprised if you sent it to ruger they would do the upgrade no charge.

They did this change at the end of the 1970s I think. I remember my old style single-six would make the SWEETEST sound when you racheted back the hammer....and the newer models not so great...hahaha.

I would never let a 100 bucks prevent me from enjoying some RUGER single action shooting fun.

Be well, Bob :cool2:

TKM
09-06-2011, 8:23 PM
I grabbed a pair of 8 shot cylinders for my Ruger Single Sixes, 22LR and 22 Mag, yes plural.

They drop right into several of my revolvers with no issue. Timing is good, no spitting or shaving.

http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

scootergmc
09-06-2011, 9:34 PM
Post a pic of the gun, and at least the first four digits of the serial, I'll tell you what/when/how it is. The OM single six magnums aren't that special when it comes to $$ unless you have some prototype/second/unmarked.

78USN98
09-07-2011, 4:09 AM
Ruger will do the "Transfer Bar Safety" modification on any Old Model free of charge. In fact, if you send them an Old Model for any reason, repair, reblue etc... they will modify it whether you like it or not.
Wolfy, I would have to go for that Highway Patrolman! The 586 would be a tough one to pass up also!

wolfy
09-07-2011, 9:02 AM
Ruger will do the "Transfer Bar Safety" modification on any Old Model free of charge. In fact, if you send them an Old Model for any reason, repair, reblue etc... they will modify it whether you like it or not.
Wolfy, I would have to go for that Highway Patrolman! The 586 would be a tough one to pass up also!

you talked me into the highway. Just have set an appointment so he can try the amp and I look at his pistol.

compulsivegunbuyer
09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
The only "timing" that can be done to a single action revolver is adjusting the hand. If the hand is to long, the cylinder will lock up before the hammer, if the hand is to short, the hammer will lock up before the cylinder. Where the cylinder locks cannot be adjusted, as this is controlled by the notch machined into the cylinder, and the pawl. To adjust this would require welding up and recutting the holes. If the chamber in the cylinder and the hole in the barrel do not line up, the cylinder or the hole where the pawl comes through is machined wrong. The fitting on the SS cylinders involves the cylinder to barrel gap and endshake. 99% of the time you can get a used cylinder an it will drop in. The 22 mag only guns are the exact same gun as the convertible, only without the lr cylinder, and can have a lr cylinder fitted.