PDA

View Full Version : 30rd Magazine laws

baih777
09-05-2011, 5:43 PM
I have been searching here for the law regarding 30rd magazines.
my weapons are RAW . I am still waiting for my copies from the DOJ.
It seems i can use my 30rd mags with and only my RAW ? Is this true ?
i want to start shooting again and dont want to spend a fortune on 10rd mags.
can someone post the link for the law so i can keep a copy with my mags and weapons.
thanks
guys

sevensix2x51
09-05-2011, 5:45 PM
Magazines: All the answers you need. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409)

Librarian
09-05-2011, 5:53 PM
I have been searching here for the law regarding 30rd magazines.
my weapons are RAW . I am still waiting for my copies from the DOJ.
It seems i can use my 30rd mags with and only my RAW ? Is this true ?
i want to start shooting again and dont want to spend a fortune on 10rd mags.
can someone post the link for the law so i can keep a copy with my mags and weapons.
thanks
guys

There are no explicit laws covering 30-round magazines.

The only division is between 10 rounds or fewer, and more than 10 rounds, the latter called 'large-capacity magazines' in the Penal Code.

If you have a registered 'assault weapon' (RAW), and you legally owned large-capacity magazines in California before 2000, then YES you MAY use those large capacity magazines in the RAW.

The issue is that using an AR-type 'off list lower' with features, such as a pistol grip, requires a 'magazine lock' (e.g. a 'bullet button'); otherwise, you can't have the features. But an OLL with features and a bullet button effectively becomes a fixed magazine weapon, by legal definition. To use a 10+ round magazine in a fixed-magazine weapon triggers a different definition of 'assault weapon'.

Your RAW most likely does not have a 'bullet button', and being registered already, it cannot be even more of an 'assault weapon'.

Andy Taylor
09-05-2011, 7:43 PM
You may use them in your RAW. You may use them in a "Featureless" rifle. You may not use them in a bullet button, fixed magazine type rifle/pistol with "features".

dantodd
09-05-2011, 8:34 PM
You may use them in your RAW. You may use them in a "Featureless" rifle. You may not use them in a bullet button, fixed magazine type rifle/pistol with "features" period.

FYP. even a "featureless" weapon with a fixed magazine (e.g. bullet button) cannot use magazines with a capacity greater than 10rds.

dwtt
09-06-2011, 4:15 AM
FYP. even a "featureless" weapon with a fixed magazine (e.g. bullet button) cannot use magazines with a capacity greater than 10rds.

My rifle was a featureless A2 build. I didn't see any sense in putting in a magazine lock like the bullet button. I doubt anyone would intentionally put on a magazine lock on a featureless build.

CHS
09-06-2011, 8:06 AM
My rifle was a featureless A2 build. I didn't see any sense in putting in a magazine lock like the bullet button. I doubt anyone would intentionally put on a magazine lock on a featureless build.

I've had friends that in the early days of OLL's were so paranoid that they used Prince50's AND monsterman grips to be "extra legal". I tried to explain to them that there is no such thing and in reality both the Prince50 and MMG are just two different ways of being "compliant", which is all that matters.

They have since gone to features + bullet buttons.