View Full Version : So...is Tula Wolf or is Wolf Tula?

09-04-2011, 7:10 PM
Actually neither. While looking into buying some more primers I started doing a bit of research on this, and nearly every forum post on them says they are the same company at some point. Turns out that's not so...from the horse's (or Wolf's) mouth...

Dear Loyal WOLF Performance Ammunition Customer,
We are aware of confusion in the ammunition market place regarding
authenticWOLF Ammunition. To clarify, please read the following:
Herter’s is Not WOLF Brand Ammunition
Tulammo is Not WOLF Brand Ammunition
Ulyanovsk (White Box) is Not WOLF Brand Ammunition.
Most importantly, the above brands are not covered by WOLF’s 100% Performance
It has been brought to our attention that the listed Brands have had ammunition with the
WOLF headstamp in their packaging.
If you are in possession of this mislabeled product, please call WOLF
at 888-757-WOLF (9653) so that we may exchange it out for authentic WOLF
Performance Ammunition that is 100% Performance Guaranteed. WOLF will take care
of the shipping cost and give you a complimentary WOLF T-shirt for your support.
The following is a list of the authentic WOLF Brands:
WOLF Performance Ammunition
WOLF Military Classic
WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition)
WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition) Military Classic
WPA (WOLF Performance Arms)
WOLF Performance Primers
WOLF Performance Gear
Thank you,
High Quality, Reliable, Affordable, 100% Performance Guaranteed
888-757-WOLF (9653)

And, from the Tula page...

Dear Great TULAMMO USA Customer,

In connection with our ongoing promotion and support of TULAMMO products, we want to be sure that all of our customers are aware of the types of ammunition being supplied in the U.S. from the Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works in Russia. TULAMMO USA was formed for the sole purpose of distributing the TULAMMO brand of ammunition from these two factories. The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf” brands of ammunition. Please note that:

TULAMMO is not WOLF Performance Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF Military Classic Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF GOLD Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition)
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition) Military Classic
TULAMMO is not Wolf Performance Primers

Our primary goal is to support the highest quality ammunition provided by these two factories under the TULAMMO brand. We expect nothing but the best during the performance of our ammunition products. To order TULAMMO products, and for any questions about TULAMMO, please contact us at 888-317-5810. We also can be reached via email at info@tulammousa.com.

Thank you,

I bought a ton of Wolf primers when I started reloading and have never had any issues in my guns with thousands of them. I started reloading back during the great Obama/AB962 component drought and they were all that were available. I have occasionally used some of the "name" brands and in my experience CCI, Federal, Winchester, ect. are definitely not twice as good as Wolf. ($30+ for 1k vs $15 for 1k) Looks like I'll try Tula and see how they do.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
09-04-2011, 7:19 PM
if it looks like a wolf, goes bang like a wolf, and is dirty like a wolf, it must be a wolf.....:D:clown:

09-04-2011, 7:25 PM
Good to know the differences and what is covered and not covered between the Ruskie ammo.

09-04-2011, 9:35 PM
Having joined the Navy back during the cold war, I gotta admit that there's a tiny sense of satisfaction every time a Russian primer goes bang in my 1911! :D I like being armed by my former enemy.

09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Just a little info. >>>> http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/01/powder-valley-renews-tulammo-primers-special/

09-05-2011, 8:24 AM
Reading between the lines, I'd guess that Wolf switched manufacturing sites....

"The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf” brands of ammunition."

09-05-2011, 9:58 AM
Wolf makes no ammo, they repackaged other manufacturers ammo, usually Ulyanovsk, Tula or Prvi Partizan

not the best reputation in the ammo world, probably why they were dumped

Cowboy T
09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Those primers, be they Wolf or Tulammo, are made in the same factory in Murom, Russia. It's only a difference in the importer. The Wolf brand got a bad reputation due to a bad batch a few years ago, but I've tried a few thousand Wolf primers, and all of them have gone bang very nicely. Same for the Tulammo-branded ones.

The primer cups are a bit harder than, say, Winchester, and definitely harder than Federals. They're about like CCI's. Simple answer: they work. If you have a lightened hammer strike, then you might be better off with a lighter primer cup (e. g. Federal). Race guns used in USPSA competitions sometimes have this issue. But stock hammer springs should have no trouble with them at all--mine sure don't.

Matter of fact, if you have a semi-auto rifle with a free-floating firing pin, the Wolf/Tulammo primers are actually a good idea because of the somewhat harder primer cup. Helps to avoid slam-fires.

So go ahead and try a thousand. At the price, it's virtually impossible to beat 'em.