PDA

View Full Version : bore sight

negolien
09-04-2011, 4:21 PM
Any thoughts on http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Kryptonyte-Laser-Sighting-System/dp/B001BWZ29K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315178598&sr=8-1

negolien
09-05-2011, 2:42 PM
No one uses bore sights?

Ak707
09-05-2011, 3:59 PM
id get somthin cheaper.....i don't remember how much i payed for my bore sighter but it was pretty cheap...all you need it for is to get you on paper the 1st shot then adjust from there.

negolien
09-05-2011, 5:27 PM
gotya tried one from bushnell but damn thing was like inflatable arbor that almost got stuck in my weapon so I went with a $25 cartridge style one from discount shooters supply in Roseville but that one doesn't work 90% of the time. I've spent more on new batteries for it than I did on the bore sight thinking it's the batteries.

Iskra
09-05-2011, 8:13 PM
I have the one with different tips for putting in the muzzle. I got it cheap (yes from Amazon) and its never put me on paper. You get what you pay for. Tried it on M70 .270 Win, 30-40 Krag, .22LR, and 16" AR. All shot high, had to bring scopes down 30 clicks or more at 50 yards just to see what I was hitting.

I might trust the cartridge kind, but you're better off pulling the bolt and looking through the bbl at something in your backyard for initial zero. With bolt rifles, its a no-brainer. Even with an AR, pull the upper, pull the BCG, clamp or sandbag the upper & optics still and pick a point as far away as you can see through the barrel. Zero onto that and you'll be on paper without a doubt.

thomashoward
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnellboresighterbanner.html
i have used one like this for over 20 years. The only drawback is it won't bore-sight .17
Learn how to use it.
When you put the spuds in the bore twist the stem to expand the spud
you must turn to loosen it when you take it out

negolien
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
The thing will probably be a pos we'll see I guess lol I will for sure post on it.

surfNshoot
09-06-2011, 8:38 AM
Why use a bore sight? Support the rifle. Pull the bolt out. Look through the barrel and put the barrel on target. Now look through the scope and move the crosshairs to where the barrel is pointed. Done. Gets me on paper EVERY time within 4-6 inches. Don't waste your money on that.

negolien
09-06-2011, 9:46 AM
Ya I got an AR and tried that before didn't really do much for me. I was low on ammo last weekend or I'da tried that again. I tried it with a Bushnell and it didn't work but the scope might have been busted although I saw no cracks or any bound knobs i couldn't get that thing on paper for sh*t.

My Eotech was chin to sternum at 100 yards with 10 rounds of 1 sec fire which for me is OK. 1st time used it and my vision isn't the greatest. I started the Eotech at 50 yards and was left about 3 inches with 5 shots. I made an adjustment and was hitting a little low with the next 3 in a quarter size group so kept for it there for a 300 zero and went out to 100 yards. Kinda a long zero so might check into going for shorter poa but really if I' am engaging someone 25 feet shouldn't matter anyway with the 65 moa on their chest right?

ejhc11
09-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I had the cheapy Bushnell one for $40 it didn't work too well. I barely got my shots on paper at 50yds. Had to move the target to 25 yds and it was way off from center even though I lined it up with the Bushnell at 20yds at home. Now I just shoot at 25yds then rough zero it then move it out ot 50yds and fine tune the red dot or scopes.

LBDamned
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Why use a bore sight? Support the rifle. Pull the bolt out. Look through the barrel and put the barrel on target. Now look through the scope and move the crosshairs to where the barrel is pointed. Done. Gets me on paper EVERY time within 4-6 inches. Don't waste your money on that.

can't do that with all guns (pistol, AK, etc)...

negolien
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the cheapy Bushnell one for $40 it didn't work too well. I barely got my shots on paper at 50yds. Had to move the target to 25 yds and it was way off from center even though I lined it up with the Bushnell at 20yds at home. Now I just shoot at 25yds then rough zero it then move it out ot 50yds and fine tune the red dot or scopes.

Probably best move. Like I said I'll post a report after I get it. I do like the multi caliber part I was thinking about getting Crimson traces so I can use this to line em up I assume. I also don't use a mount or sled so wondering if that matters much didn't think it would.

ejhc11
09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I just sandbag mine - in the front. Just enough to help me stabilize the AR. Of course not resting on the barrel. Sleds/fixed mounts do help for sighting-in but if you can shoot decently you won't need one.

negolien
09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
LOL funny you should mention that....