PDA

View Full Version : Why is CPRA supporting AB610 License to CCW ?

Saym14
09-04-2011, 1:01 PM
it allows anystatewide elected official to qualify for a CCW, but not the rest of us commoners? whats up with that ? Is this like Chicago?

Purple K
09-04-2011, 1:04 PM
It's all part of our diabolical plan...

HowardW56
09-04-2011, 1:05 PM
it allows anystatewide elected official to qualify for a CCW, but not the rest of us commoners? whats up with that ? Is this like Chicago?

statewide elected official, is not LEO....

statewide elected official = Ordinary citizen, who happens to hold elected office....

Can you see where that could lead?

me109g4
09-04-2011, 1:05 PM
No, its a step for a legal challenge i would suspect, allowing "some" to have a ccw gives a legal precedent for "all',,,

FastFinger
09-04-2011, 1:14 PM
Mommy! Why does Jeff get to stay up and play Xbox - but I have to go to bed?

watsonville
09-04-2011, 1:20 PM
cause you keep playing with your fast finger

in all seriousness california sucks to be a gun owner just cause there was some idiot gun owners in the past so now we have to suffer for there mistakes and lack of responsibility we need to get out there and change laws instead of typing on the key board b.';,/ng about what we need to do maybe thats why they get over on us cause were to lazy to do anything about it thats my two cents i hope sb610 passes though another step closer

and jeff stays up to play xbox because he eats his vegetables

Uxi
09-04-2011, 1:25 PM
As noted, they're going for equal protection. Well intentioned and even reasonable but remember that similar pragmatic thinking is what got us stuck with the income tax since a majority opposed it but got tangled up in their own web of maneuvers.

Kharn
09-04-2011, 1:26 PM
But if you eat your veggies too, you can sue for equal protection claims...

CitaDeL
09-04-2011, 1:28 PM

Have you read the amended bill?

Librarian
09-04-2011, 1:30 PM
Read the current bill's introduction (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0601-0650/sb_610_bill_20110830_amended_asm_v95.html):
This bill would provide that the applicant would not be required to pay for any training courses prior to a determination of good cause being made, as specified.

The bill would clarify that the application fee for a new license includes the costs of required notices. The bill would also provide that no applicant would be required to obtain liability insurance as a condition of the license.

The bill would require the licensing authority to provide written notification of the determination of good cause to the applicant, as specified.

Existing law requires the licensing authority to give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license is approved or denied within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.

This bill would also require that the notice provide which requirement was not satisfied if the license is denied.

Special treatment for legislators was amended out of the bill in February.

Andy Taylor
09-04-2011, 1:35 PM
Wouldn't being a politician automatically disqualify a person on "Good Moral Character" grounds?

paul0660
09-04-2011, 1:38 PM
"whichever is later" can mean never. Otherwise, sounds good.

watsonville
09-04-2011, 1:50 PM
so is this any closer to shall issue or can they just say hey your moral character sucks in their "written letter" i work in a bad part of town has been two murders this year close by also many criminal deviants its a family owned business we get stolen from and property damaged would this qualify for good cause or because im only 21 i have no good moral character

HowardW56
09-04-2011, 2:23 PM
Read the current bill's introduction (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0601-0650/sb_610_bill_20110830_amended_asm_v95.html):

That makes for a cleaner bill.......

Fjold
09-04-2011, 2:29 PM
so is this any closer to shall issue or can they just say hey your moral character sucks in their "written letter" i work in a bad part of town has been two murders this year close by also many criminal deviants its a family owned business we get stolen from and property damaged would this qualify for good cause or because im only 21 i have no good moral character

You'd probably get denied for your lack of punctuation and capitalization.

Robidouxs
09-04-2011, 2:34 PM

Do you live in Paso Robles or further out in the country?

watsonville
09-04-2011, 2:39 PM
i live in watsonville uptown

Tarn_Helm
09-04-2011, 2:49 PM
Wouldn't being a politician automatically disqualify a person on "Good Moral Character" grounds?

Yes.

So this bill actually prevents elected state officials from obtaining LTC.
:smilielol5:

wildhawker
09-04-2011, 3:56 PM

Librarian is correct. Still a good bill, but far less useful to us than it was.

-Brandon

Ford8N
09-04-2011, 4:10 PM
As noted, they're going for equal protection. Well intentioned and even reasonable but remember that similar pragmatic thinking is what got us stuck with the income tax since a majority opposed it but got tangled up in their own web of maneuvers.

Equal protection will not work. There is no difference between me and a LEO. I can't be trusted with a firearm that looks scary and a cop can. It's a California thing, end of story.

huntercf
09-04-2011, 5:23 PM
:rofl2:Wouldn't being a politician automatically disqualify a person on "Good Moral Character" grounds?

:rofl2:

monk
09-04-2011, 5:44 PM
statewide elected official, is not LEO....

statewide elected official = Ordinary citizen, who happens to hold elected office....

Can you see where that could lead?

Couldn't they argue that because elected officials make laws that many people hate, they should have more reason then the average citizen to have an LTC?

Kid Stanislaus
09-04-2011, 9:23 PM
Read the current bill's introduction (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0601-0650/sb_610_bill_20110830_amended_asm_v95.html): Special treatment for legislators was amended out of the bill in February.

Well in THAT case its chances of becoming law dropped to zero!:rolleyes:

wildhawker
09-04-2011, 9:45 PM
Well in THAT case its chances of becoming law dropped to zero!:rolleyes:

Actually, it's a pretty good bet it's law in January.

Saym14
09-04-2011, 10:09 PM

good to know - was just reading my recent CPRA newsletter and it was not up to date.

I akso wondered if that was like a foot in the door ?

wildhawker
09-04-2011, 11:22 PM
good to know - was just reading my recent CPRA newsletter and it was not up to date.

I akso wondered if that was like a foot in the door ?

Yeah, I pointed that error out last issue. Still not fixed?

I'll make it a point to reach out to our staff on Tuesday.

-Brandon

tiki
09-05-2011, 6:30 AM
You'd probably get denied for your lack of punctuation and capitalization.
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that read that and thought "what???"

markm
09-05-2011, 7:09 AM
Equal protection will not work. There is no difference between me and a LEO. I can't be trusted with a firearm that looks scary and a cop can. It's a California thing, end of story.

Hello Ford8N,

I liked your post.

However, you are different than LEO. LEO can lie to you, while you can't lie to LEO. LEO can use the power and resources of government to ensare you into a legal morass that will cost you thousands of dollars. LEO likes to fight crime by spending their time hassling law abiding citizens. After all, law-abiding citizens won't fight back and won't harm our precious LEOs.

Fighting real crime takes guts.

And yes, I am bitter. I am upset that our government crimilizes non-criminal activity that, in some cases, are related to enumerated and creator granted rights.

I don't think equal protection will work on this issue.

markm

taperxz
09-05-2011, 8:06 AM
Hello Ford8N,

I liked your post.

However, you are different than LEO. LEO can lie to you, while you can't lie to LEO. LEO can use the power and resources of government to ensare you into a legal morass that will cost you thousands of dollars. LEO likes to fight crime by spending their time hassling law abiding citizens. After all, law-abiding citizens won't fight back and won't harm our precious LEOs.

And yes, I am bitter. I am upset that our government crimilizes non-criminal activity that, in some cases, are related to enumerated and creator granted rights.

You can certainly lie to LEO or refuse to talk to LEO!

markm

You can certainly lie to LEO or refuse to talk to LEO!

You also have the resources to ensnare LEO into problems using the same government resources.

Any citizen can fight crime

Your are bitter and don't know why you are bitter. Equal protection is thee reason that CGN takes the actions it does on LTC!!

donw
09-05-2011, 8:21 AM

:rofl2:

donw
09-05-2011, 8:32 AM
Hello Ford8N,

I liked your post.

markm

tell us how you REALLY feel markm...

i thought i was the only one that feels that way sometimes...:confused::facepalm::cool:

Sgt Raven
09-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Couldn't they argue that because elected officials make laws that many people hate, they should have more reason then the average citizen to have an LTC?

Isn't that the Perata defense? :rolleyes:

Pixs
09-05-2011, 11:23 AM
tell us how you REALLY feel markm...

i thought i was the only one that feels that way sometimes...:confused::facepalm::cool:

You are not alone.

Mulay El Raisuli
09-05-2011, 11:41 AM

In a perfect world, yes.

Actually, it's a pretty good bet it's law in January.

So, what's the practical effect of this on the rest of us?

The Raisuli