PDA

View Full Version : best ammo for appleseed?

hairtumor
09-03-2011, 6:48 PM
I know you should shoot what ever your rifle likes best but what I want to know is which ammo is the most accurate and will give me the best chance for a marksman patch.

G-forceJunkie
09-03-2011, 7:26 PM
Wolf Match Target if your gun will cycle it. It prints groups half the size of any non-match ammo in all my .22's.

Eljay
09-03-2011, 7:40 PM
You don't need any kind of hyper accurate ammo - any decent brand like the CCI Mini Mags are fine. But if you really want to go down that path, you need to already be able to shoot a very tight group and you would go to a place like http://www.championshooters.com/ and get a half dozen or a dozen types and do lots of testing for your particular rifle.

Alternatively you could just get some CCI Mini Mags and some Wolf Match and some Eley Sport and if you can't tell the difference go with the cheapest...

ccandgc
09-04-2011, 9:05 AM
I shot rifleman twice with my bolt action Mossberg using CCI Mini Mags. Good stuff. My daughters 10/22 seems to only really like these too, I have some Wolf Match Target on order and am going to see how that works.
Also, it is a combination of the marksman, the rifle, ammo and most importantly how you apply the skills they teach you. NPOA, sling use, firing position, etc.

hairtumor
09-04-2011, 9:18 AM
I shot rifleman twice with my bolt action Mossberg using CCI Mini Mags. Good stuff. My daughters 10/22 seems to only really like these too, I have some Wolf Match Target on order and am going to see how that works.
Also, it is a combination of the marksman, the rifle, ammo and most importantly how you apply the skills they teach you. NPOA, sling use, firing position, etc.

I am looking forward to learning new skills and passing them on to my family and friends, or whoever wants to learn. :)

polygunner
09-04-2011, 9:29 AM
If the shooter, rifle and ammo can get 4 minutes of angle, 1" at 25 meters, you are good to go.

Have fun!

pg

ccandgc
09-04-2011, 9:54 AM
The ammo does really make a difference. Although I wish I had learned a lot of these skills a long time ago, it totally changed the way I shoot.

BrianRodela
09-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm with GForce, Wolf Match Target seems to give the best groups for the price. With a decent barrel, you should be making 1 ragged hole at 25 yards.

as_rocketman
09-04-2011, 4:09 PM
The ammo does make a difference but only with respect to time. You want the ammunition that cycles most reliably in your rifle. You will be the limiting factor on accuracy, not the ammo, not the rifle, not the sights (unless something is loose or broken).

Every rifle is a little bit different. My little Marlin likes Winchester, CCI, and Armscor. It dislikes Federal and Remington, meaning it stovepipes more often with these brands. However I've seen rifles on the line that prefer the exact opposite.

Appleseed is not an equipment race. Practically any rifle can shoot a Rifleman score if you do your part. If you're really worried about ammunition, bring two different types and switch if one starts giving you problems. Also be sure to bring your rifle clean, lightly but effectively lubricated, and reasonably zeroed. All of that is far more important than trying to squeeze out a slight edge in accuracy.

PurplePeople
09-06-2011, 8:14 PM
+1 on cleaning your rifle thoroughly before a 'seed. Since the common 22LR semi-autos use an open bolt, it's inevitable that gunk gets into the action, and the 4-500 rounds typical in two day AS can turn your sweet runner into a malfing monster if it starts out already dirty.

If you've got the time and inclination, I'd encourage doing ammo tests, not just for the AS shoot. Why not feed your rifle what will make it and you the most happy?

Since I used to run Mini-mags in my 10/22T and switched to Wolf MT, a couple of notes on that: At least my rifle seems to like the lighter load of Wolf as far as accuracy goes, but it does make the action more sensitive to gunk since there's less energy to cycle it. Also Wolf is a lubed round. At least in my case, it seems to take 5-10 shots on a clean barrel before it steadies down. The lube can also leave some residue in your mags.

The one thing I'd steer clear of is the el cheapo Remington 525 boxes. A couple of guys had them at a shoot I ran last weekend - lots of misfires and frustration. Something's gone wrong in quality control there.

AragornElessar86
09-06-2011, 8:21 PM
I'll second the warning against Remington bulk stuff. The last few boxes I've tried have not functioned reliably.

sevensix2x51
09-06-2011, 9:38 PM
<imho>

I'll cast my vote for the "Indian, not the arrow." I shot my 236 with Federal bulk HP's from Wal-Mart. Reliability and the shooter's form trump ammo precision at Appleseed.

Strict adherence to the six steps and a good rifleman's cadence will result in success.

</imho>

I gotta get out to another Appleseed. It really is a good time, and I recommend it to anyone who would like to improve their skillset and learn about what made America the most awesome country ever, that almost wasn't. :)

G-forceJunkie
09-06-2011, 9:58 PM
Since the common 22LR semi-autos use an open bolt,

Not sure what you mean here. They do not fire from an open bolt. They are no different than any other rifle firing from a closed bolt. They are blow back opperated, and .22lr is a dirty cartrage hence fowling of the action.

PurplePeople
09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Not sure what you mean here. They do not fire from an open bolt. They are no different than any other rifle firing from a closed bolt. They are blow back opperated, and .22lr is a dirty cartrage hence fowling of the action.

Just another way of saying the same thing - the action doesn't stay locked for a bit as with op-rod type semis (for instance), so more gunk gets blown back around the bolt by the pressure that's doing the job of cycling the action. It's 'open' in the sense that it's a spring plus inertia doing the job of initially confining the pressure before the blow-back cycles it, rather than locking lugs of some sort.

AragornElessar86
09-07-2011, 7:35 AM
Just another way of saying the same thing - the action doesn't stay locked for a bit as with op-rod type semis (for instance), so more gunk gets blown back around the bolt by the pressure that's doing the job of cycling the action. It's 'open' in the sense that it's a spring plus inertia doing the job of initially confining the pressure before the blow-back cycles it, rather than locking lugs of some sort.

Your terminology is off here. Search Wikipedia for open bolt and you'll find the difference.

goofcat
09-07-2011, 5:26 PM
I too believe it is more about the shooter and not the ammo. I shot rifleman with Federal bulk from Walmart. I came close using Mini-mags, which cost twice as much, at the previous AS I attended.

Target-Ed
09-09-2011, 4:57 PM
Try a box of Federal AutoMatch especially if you are shooting a semi, it feeds well in my old savage 6, Umarex AR-15 and everything else I own.

Ed