View Full Version : Remington 597

Mail Clerk
09-03-2011, 8:54 AM
Happy Holidays to everyone,

Any Remington 597 shooters here????

Mail Clerk

Coyotegunner
09-03-2011, 9:44 AM
I would be,if it I did not have problems with it all the time.Fails to properly load.Trigger fails to reset.

BayouBullets
09-03-2011, 6:14 PM
3 people I hunt with have had them. Two have disposed of them since. My impression is you either get a good one or a dud. The one guy in the group who still has his has never had any trouble at all, but the other two couldn't keep theirs running at all.

Mail Clerk
09-03-2011, 7:14 PM
Hi guys,

I'm sorry people have had issues with their 597's Most of the issues can be solved by replacing the magazine with a more current version. The early one were junk and who made them for Remington who knows.

I like mine cuz the bolt can be removed easilt and cleaned well with a good oil cleaner like Rem oil.

I beelive if you work with it a little the rifle can be an excellent plinker. It's only drawback is that you can't mount a sling if your in the field but then again neither can the Rugers as well. My other snit was the barrel. It was claimed by Remington to be the most accurate rimfire of all. What a joke it was on that! I replaced my barrel with an after market and it's groups have much improved but at a high cost. Along with a nice stock it's now a bench rest shooter.

For those of you that are having issues with your Remington I say keep working with it and tackle one issue at a time. My standard trigger has lightened up allot and feels like it has a trigger job done on it by a smith. All I did was put a little moly grease on the sear and it continued each range secession to get lighter. Put on a new barrel andyou got one heck of a rifle.

Have a good holiday everyone.

Mail Clerk

the_t0ny
09-05-2011, 6:46 AM
yea the stock black plastic mags would always jam and ftf/double feed a lot, but once i bought a few of the grey ones it works flawlessly. i haven't experienced any other problems with it.

where did you get an aftermarket barrel and nice stock for it? i haven't been able to find a lot of aftermarket parts for it.

Mail Clerk
09-05-2011, 7:22 AM
yea the stock black plastic mags would always jam and ftf/double feed a lot, but once i bought a few of the grey ones it works flawlessly. i haven't experienced any other problems with it.

where did you get an aftermarket barrel and nice stock for it? i haven't been able to find a lot of aftermarket parts for it.

the_t0ny,

I bought my stuff from Brownells. The Barrel is from Voltquartsen and the stock I can't remember. The barrel cost almost more than the rifle but it was worth it. This rifle shoots groups that impresses me just fine. I admit I haven't shot it for a good long time cuz right now I'm more into AR's but this rifle is now designed for bench rest shooting.

Good luck for your 597...

Mail Clerk

the_t0ny
09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm going through the same phase as you are, I've been shooting my ar more and I shoot my gsg instead of my 597 whenever I go shoot a 22.

I'll have to check out that barrel, thanks!

CamW
09-06-2011, 1:11 PM
I have one in 17 HMR, it came with a laminated stock and a medium weight barrel, no iron sights. It shoots just over 1" at 100 yards with Remington ammo,feeds very well with the metal magazines. Factory trigger was a little heavy, I installed the Volquartsen sear, now it's not too bad.I switched to the Boyd's Tacticool stock,this was probably the biggest improvement on the rifle. The reach on the trigger is much better than the factory stock and I can get a solid cheek weld.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/966/rem597tc.jpg

Mail Clerk
09-06-2011, 7:09 PM
I have one in 17 HMR, it came with a laminated stock and a medium weight barrel, no iron sights. It shoots just over 1" at 100 yards with Remington ammo,feeds very well with the metal magazines. Factory trigger was a little heavy, I installed the Volquartsen sear, now it's not too bad.I switched to the Boyd's Tacticool stock,this was probably the biggest improvement on the rifle. The reach on the trigger is much better than the factory stock and I can get a solid cheek weld.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/966/rem597tc.jpg

CamW,

In my experience the more you shoot the rifle the lighter the trigger pull becomes. All one needs is to put a dab of moly grease on the sear (standard trigger mechanism) and just keep shootings. Currently my trigger is the way I like mine so no new parts are needed.

My biggest improvement was the barrel and stock both from Volquartsen if memory serves me correctly for the stock. Both were extremely expensive and the total cost could practically buy me another rifle. Despite the money spent my Remingto 597 is a fantastic bench rest shooter now and am glad the money was well spent. If I take my time and pull the trigger right I can get an easy 1/2" @50 yards for me due to my ageing eyes. I think I was using CCI "Green Tag" or CCI "Standard" ammo.

It's been about 7 years since I worked on this rifle and am wrapped up in shooting AR's while I can before something bad happens again. Shooting 22LR's just for measuring groups gets kinda hard cuz my favorite range has been closed for an easy 4 years and driving the distance isn't worth it unless I take along something more substancial. Now Angeles is my main range and am trying to get my guys at work to buy there own so we can get together and all shoot together.

Good luck with your 597 and let us know if you decide to replace that stock barrel with a better one. It's good talking to you buddy;)

Mail Clerk

ERdept
09-06-2011, 7:13 PM
I was going to get one, but after research and hearing issues with accuracy and just not working, it got an Anschutz 64 MPR.

Very, very happy with it.

Mail Clerk
09-07-2011, 6:23 PM
I was going to get one, but after research and hearing issues with accuracy and just not working, it got an Anschutz 64 MPR.

Very, very happy with it.

ERdept,

I know from the past Remington made allot of bold statements especially in the accuracy department but as far as function is concern most if not all the issues were contributed to the lousey plastic magazines that came with it. I can tel you most of the magazine problem could have been solved if they used a stronger heavier spring BUT who they contracted to produce them who knows. After about 3-4 generations of improvements they are pretty good now but still expensive in my opinion. Now that I replaced the barrel and stock my rifle rocks and it's accuracy has much improved but again as stated earlier at a cost of almost twice the price of the rifle alone.

Your Anschultz 64 is obviously the hands down winner in all catagories but it's engineered so well they have taken all the fun out of solving/improving a cheaper rifles accuracy.

I must admit.... My Remington was a headache but then again it was fun to race up and save a lame rifle.

Mail Clerk