PDA

View Full Version : batfe says carry license holders exempt from NICS

mag360
09-03-2011, 6:29 AM
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=7048

at least in Nevada! Kamala needs a copy of this. There is really no reason why a carry license holder can't have the ability to bring a gun home the same day of purchase as well.

the force is strong this year.

The War Wagon
09-03-2011, 6:38 AM
Good deal! Only 15 years behind TX, but hey - improvement is improvement! :43:

Oceanbob
09-03-2011, 6:40 AM
Good news...!....Every little thing helps. I like it when the FEDS help out once in a while. :)

-hanko
09-03-2011, 7:19 AM
That's the way it woks in both TX and Idaho :)

Maybe other states also.

-hanko

morrcarr67
09-03-2011, 7:22 AM
I'm guessing AZ is the same way. Last time I was in J & G buying a gun the first thing they asked me for was my carry licence.

rero360
09-03-2011, 7:27 AM
NY as well, although most FFLs will still make the call, pure CYA.

dustoff31
09-03-2011, 7:47 AM
About half the states have an exemption for the NICS check. Even CA has one. But only for Enterainment Firearms Permit holders.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

proclone1
09-03-2011, 9:06 AM
I'm guessing AZ is the same way. Last time I was in J & G buying a gun the first thing they asked me for was my carry licence.

That's awesome :)

BannedinBritain
09-03-2011, 9:43 AM

at least in Nevada! Kamala needs a copy of this. There is really no reason why a carry license holder can't have the ability to bring a gun home the same day of purchase as well.

the force is strong this year.

Not to be the wet towel...but I wouldn't plan on EVER having an exemption from a waiting period in this State for a CCW holder. What makes a CCW holder any more "trustworthy" than any other person who already owns handguns? The fact we have to renew every year? So what?

I'm perfectly fine waiting the ten days until EVERYBODY can walk out same-day with their firearm.

dustoff31
09-03-2011, 9:49 AM
Not to be the wet towel...but I wouldn't plan on EVER having an exemption from a waiting period in this State for a CCW holder.

I wouldn't plan on that either, but for a very different reason. The state has to request the exemption from BATFE. It isn't automatic.

It's interesting that CA asked for the exemption for one class of permit holders but not for others. Some animals are more equal than others I suppose.

skyscraper
09-03-2011, 9:51 AM
Not to be the wet towel...but I wouldn't plan on EVER having an exemption from a waiting period in this State for a CCW holder. What makes a CCW holder any more "trustworthy" than any other person who already owns handguns? The fact we have to renew every year? So what?

I'm perfectly fine waiting the ten days until EVERYBODY can walk out same-day with their firearm.

Why do you think its about trust? The lawmakers are ridiculous to think making someone wait "10 days" will prevent them from committing a crime with it. We already carry a CW, why do we need to wait 10 days for a "cooling off period"?

dantodd
09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't plan on that either, but for a very different reason. The state has to request the exemption from BATFE. It isn't automatic.

It's interesting that CA asked for the exemption for one class of permit holders but not for others. Some animals are more equal than others I suppose.

The 10 day wait is completely disconnected from BATF, it is strictly a "California thing." it is the NICS check that BATF has control over but I don't think those ever take 10 days so it doesn't slow down CA transfers.

jaymz
09-03-2011, 10:14 AM
"About half the states have an exemption for the NICS check. Even CA has one. But only for Enterainment Firearms Permit holders."

Sounds like an Equal Protection lawsuit to me!

dustoff31
09-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The 10 day wait is completely disconnected from BATF, it is strictly a "California thing." it is the NICS check that BATF has control over but I don't think those ever take 10 days so it doesn't slow down CA transfers.

I understand that. It simply reinforces my point. CA has absolutely no interest in making things easier for gun owners. Or should I say the vast majority of gun owners?

CavTrooper
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Georgia is the same. No call if you have your permit.

mag360
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
"entertainment firearms permit holders" hahahaha the old hollywood and purse strings exemption. Of course!

ZirconJohn
09-03-2011, 10:50 AM

"...batfe says carry license holders exempt from NICS"

OMG... who would'a ever thunk of'a thing...! :sarcasm:

i.e. that's what we (me, you, emmebody) been saying all along... 'bout time da gubbamint catch-on... eezus...! :laugh:

mrdd
09-03-2011, 11:29 AM

NICS: National Instant Check System.

Maestro Pistolero
09-03-2011, 12:36 PM
What makes a CCW holder any more "trustworthy" than any other person who already owns handguns? The FBI and DOJ background check, the LTC course, the live fire test, and the fact that you've been carrying in public with a valid license without incident.

BannedinBritain
09-03-2011, 1:07 PM
The FBI and DOJ background check, the LTC course, the live fire test, and the fact that you've been carrying in public with a valid license without incident.

IMHO, none of that makes you or me any more trustworthy than a "common" gun owner. And none of it explains why we should get our gun now...rather than waiting like everyone else. I don't see CCW holders as a "special class", so I'd like to see ALL people who already own a firearm able to walk same-day with their new firearm.

paul0660
09-03-2011, 1:15 PM
I wouldn't complain about a NCIS check for everyone, because there are no doubt people walking around with LTC paper that has been revoked. However, the 10 day cooling off period for a person who obviously already owns a gun is ridiculous.

Maestro Pistolero
09-03-2011, 1:46 PM
IMHO, none of that makes you or me any more trustworthy than a "common" gun owner. And none of it explains why we should get our gun now...rather than waiting like everyone else. I don't see CCW holders as a "special class", so I'd like to see ALL people who already own a firearm able to walk same-day with their new firearm.

Well, LTC holders ARE statistically more law abiding than the general population, presumably because of the screening. But I wouldn't question the trustworthiness of any individual or group of individuals who are denied access to a carry license.

But license holders are a special class, legally speaking. They are exempt from laws against carrying concealed. They are exempt from GFSZs.

That everyone cannot yet avail themselves of this right does not justify making license holders wait for a gun in order to prevent a crime of passion that could be committed as easily with the weapon(s) they already possess and carry.

That's not justice either. Don't lose sight of the fact that the injustice is that LTCs are not shall-issue.

In the interest of equality, if a country were starving, would you not feed anyone until the entire country could be fed?

Exempting LTC holders is not unfair.What's unfair is that any law-abiding person can't qualify for an LTC.

so I'd like to see ALL people who already own a firearm able to walk same-day with their new firearm.
Agreed. That's the way it is here in Nevada, even without a carry license: only one's first gun is subject to a three day waiting period.

Maestro Pistolero
09-03-2011, 1:52 PM
I wouldn't complain about a NCIS check for everyone, because there are no doubt people walking around with LTC paper that has been revoked. However, the 10 day cooling off period for a person who obviously already owns a gun is ridiculous.

Right. And when the time comes, that law won't even pass a rational basis test. I don't think too many LTCs have been revoked for cause. I vaguely remember seeing some numbers that were microscopically low.

J.D.Allen
09-03-2011, 2:23 PM

Yup. Takes me literally five minutes to buy a gun.

Cokebottle
09-03-2011, 2:31 PM

Some of us are 10-day exempt for all C&R purchases even without an LTC.

BannedinBritain
09-03-2011, 2:46 PM
Some of us are 10-day exempt for all C&R purchases even without an LTC.

Which just adds to the ridiculous nature of it all...because everyone knows C&Rs are not as deadly as a new firearm. :rolleyes:

MrClamperSir
09-03-2011, 2:46 PM
Awesome. We need this in CA! The 10 day wait makes no sense for someone who already owns firearms.

DrTop
09-11-2011, 2:29 PM
Having "escaped" the repressive state of California to the free state of Arizona, I can attest there is no NICs for CCW holders. Pay for your pistol and take it home. Very nice.

curtisfong
09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
But only for Enterainment Firearms Permit holders

CA's royalty is above the law? No! Unpossible!

tenpercentfirearms
09-12-2011, 6:39 AM
Don't forget CFD holders and LEO with letterhead are also exempt in CA. I just took home a Benelli M2 and a Lone Wolf G9 lower yesterday without doing DROS. :TFH:

morrcarr67
09-12-2011, 7:47 AM
Yup. Takes me literally five minutes to buy a gun.

Nice. It takes us 5 mins to decide what gun we want and 10 days to take it home. :(