PDA

View Full Version : Oregon CCW resident ?

bradt@or
09-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I am a Oregon CCW holder and a Washington concealed pistol permit holder.
now i understand that these permits have no standing in the state of California
i am taking a road trip to AZ via CA and NV but i come is down 1-5 to CA 89 then start heading for NV. first I called a NV COUNTY sheriffs office and talked with them about what they consider concealed then they asked if i was going thru CA i said yes and she told me to take apart my gun (easy) and put it in a lockbox without the ammo for CA then i contacted a CA county sheriff and they sounded like that was okey. but now i am hearing something different so what i am wondering is do i need to have a seperate lockbox for my ammo or is keeping it in the original box somewhere else in the vehicle ok.

this will also be my first trip thru CA with a weapon

Librarian
09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Locked container, no ammo in the gun. Ammo may be in magazines, and ammo and magazines may be in the same locked container.

Container may be anywhere in the car you like.

Luieburger
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Locked container, no ammo in the gun. Ammo may be in magazines, and ammo and magazines may be in the same locked container.

Container may be anywhere in the car you like.

Yep. Also, watch out for the fruit Nazis at the border. Just drive up and say "no" and they won't bother you (most likely).

bradt@or
09-02-2011, 12:23 AM
never had a problem with the fruit people it amazing how far into CA on I-5 till you see them (that its not before the first town) and it seems like coming back from nevada they dont even care i have been just waved on coming back everytime.

Purple K
09-02-2011, 1:07 AM
Along with what Librarian said, the firearm does not need to be disassembled. Functionally correct, yet unloaded. One locked container for weapon, magazines and ammo. is acceptable if they'll all fit. If the magazines hold more than ten rounds they are illegal in California. The FOPA offers you some protection since you are just transiting California. However, it may be prudent to disassemble the magazines while in California.