View Full Version : bringing pistols back into cali

01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
My best friend is about to ETS from Ft Stewart and he's wondering what he needs to do to bring his pistols back into California. Can he just drive home then stop off at a gunstore and register them or does he have to have his FFL send them to an FFL out here to register him, or what?

01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
They're his property already so no need for an FFL xfer. This is what he needs to do from the DoJ's website:

Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

* Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.

Mark in Eureka
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
If he purchased them in California and he is just bringing them back home after a extended stay out of state, he needs to do nothing. They are already registered here.

Otherwise, he needs to submit the importation form with payment to DOJ. He already owns the weapons and no FFL interaction is needed. Just remember no AW's, and no High Cap Mags.

01-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I realize zenthemighty's got it covered, but the ag website is critical
# I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. PDF logo [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
One minor note. If he owned the large-capacity magazines in California legally before 2000, he can bring them back.