PDA

View Full Version : Legally Registered AW's and high capacity magazines

Alta
09-01-2011, 5:57 PM
I used to think I was clear on this, but with all the "off list" and "bullet button", and magazine capacity discussion, I'm getting a little confused.

So with the disclaimer that this isn't legal advice, here's my question:

Can I still put high capacity magazines in my legally registered (prior to the end of 2000) AWs or is it now that they can be detachable but have to be 10 rounds or less (or whatever the definition is of "low capacity").

As I said I used to feel clear on this but all the "off list" and "california compliant" discussion has muddied it for me. Since I don't go to public ranges it hasn't been much of an issue, but if I do, I want to do it legally. :confused:

Thanks

Ron-Solo
09-01-2011, 6:00 PM
If you legally possessed 11+ round magazines prior to 1/1/2000 and have a legally registered "Assault Weapon" per California law, you may used them is such a weapon.

Some ranges may have issues with it, but it is legal.

Beelzy
09-01-2011, 6:02 PM
You can stuff any capacity mag in your RAW's.

The crap (sorry but that's what it is), you mentioned is for Post Ban Rifles.

Alta
09-01-2011, 6:06 PM
I guess that's part of the crap that cunfused me. We now have pre-ban, post-ban, legally registered, and off list hence post-post-ban. Not that I am opposed to off list fun.... :43:

Uxi
09-01-2011, 6:17 PM
A registered banned semi-auto means it's almost like you're in a Free State. ;)

WTF wasn't there a bigger fight to them ever putting a deadline on it? The only deadline that makes sense is one that has an entire law sunset to be renewed/reconsidered.

Alta
09-01-2011, 6:37 PM
There was a deadline and I think it was actually in late Jan 2001 - IIRC I ran it to within a couple days of the deadline while I deliberated on it all.

Uxi
09-01-2011, 6:50 PM
Right, I mean the fight should have been over mandating continued registration instead of a sunset period that makes it a de facto ban. The lack of ability to transfer/inherit is also a severe threat to basic property rights.

Librarian
09-01-2011, 7:20 PM
Can I still put high capacity magazines in my legally registered (prior to the end of 2000) AWs

Yes. (ETA fixed the silly 'yes' to a disjunctive 'or' - by removing the false option.)

The issue with more than 10 rounds applies to OLLs with magazine locks - if you use those two together, you illegally manufacture an 'assault weapon'.

But you already have an 'assault weapon', and I bet you don't have a magazine lock on it.

So, use whatever magazines you like.

dantodd
09-01-2011, 7:56 PM
Also, owning a registered AW doesn't mean you can buy new "large capacity" magazines, you are free to use any that you already own and you can rebuild them with newer, better parts.

bwiese
09-02-2011, 7:18 AM
Can I still put high capacity magazines in my legally registered (prior to the end of 2000) AWs or is it now that they can be detachable but have to be 10 rounds or less (or whatever the definition is of "low capacity").

You are indeed free to use mags that hold over 10 rounds with semiauto centerfire rifles or semiauto pistols that have detachable magazines providing they were properly registered (Roberti-Roos/SB23) at right time with DOJ.

The other rifles we commonly call 'off-list' or 'California-compliant' are not defined by 12276/12276.1PC-prohibited configurations and are not specially registered/registerable (for now). As such, a maglock'd semauto centerfire rifle CANNOT be used with an over-10-round magazine.

CHS
09-02-2011, 7:57 AM
I guess that's part of the crap that cunfused me. We now have pre-ban, post-ban, legally registered, and off list hence post-post-ban. Not that I am opposed to off list fun.... :43:

Not really.

In California "Pre-ban" and "post-ban" don't exist. Those were terms referring to the Federal AWB. They still have it in a few states like NJ and NY, but not in CA.

Ignore all pre/post ban terms.

In CA you either have AW's or compliant guns. If they're an AW, they should be registered otherwise they are generally illegal. And you can still use large-capacity magazines even in regular compliant guns, as long as they do not have a magazine lock/bullet button or any SB23 features.

I can go to Turners and buy a Mini-14 TODAY and 10 days from now lawfully stuff some of my 30rd'ers in it.