PDA

View Full Version : Need Picatinny Rail Advice For A Ruger MK II

emgee00
09-01-2011, 4:26 PM
Hello my fellow Calgunners!

I have a Ruger Mark II Stainless Bull Barrel (5.5" I believe) model that has a full length weaver rail on it. The gun is not drilled for a Picatinny Rail and the current weaver rail bolts into the factory site locations. Does anyone know of a comparable rail that would not require any modifications (gunsmithing)?

Can I easily, or un-easily, convert my weaver rail into a picatinny setup?

Thanks in advance for any direction you may be able to provide

:confused::confused::confused:

BSlacker
09-01-2011, 4:38 PM
Weaver and Picattiny are very close so they interchange for the most part. If you want to go away from your current rail mount that is anchored in the dovetail for the rear sight then your receiver needs to be drilled and tapped. There are claw like mounts that clamp on the receiver but I have heard hit or miss with keeping them tight. :)

emgee00
09-01-2011, 7:40 PM
Weaver and Picattiny are very close so they interchange for the most part. If you want to go away from your current rail mount that is anchored in the dovetail for the rear sight then your receiver needs to be drilled and tapped. There are claw like mounts that clamp on the receiver but I have heard hit or miss with keeping them tight. :)

The only real difference I can see is the width of the grooves. Picatinny being slightly larger. I am having trouble finding a comparable one so I am considering taking the one I have and having it machined a little to fit the Picatinny width :confused: