PDA

View Full Version : Printable cards to help you remember your rights when arrested/puled over

barbasol
09-01-2011, 3:44 PM
I found these downloadable and printable cards on another forum. I thought they might be useful for calgunners.

http://toasterdog.com/files/KnowYourRightsCards_TheLaw.pdf

Kid Stanislaus
09-01-2011, 4:12 PM
The first card sez you have to tell the police your name and address if asked in CA. Is that true?

HowardW56
09-01-2011, 4:15 PM
If you are pulled over while driving, yes you have to provide your drivers license...

G-forceJunkie
09-01-2011, 7:08 PM
Yes if you are opperating a motor vehicle, or being arrested. Just walking down the street, or being detained by the police, no.The first card sez you have to tell the police your name and address if asked in CA. Is that true?

Danz la Nuit
09-01-2011, 9:59 PM
those cards kinda suck tbh...

BlueVue
09-02-2011, 3:34 AM
They also state that you can refuse a Breathalyzer. Which, technically, you can (and SHOULD), with the giant caveat that, in CA, you must submit to either a blood or urine test.

You should always take the blood option. It's by far the most accurate (since what you're trying to measure is Blood Alcohol Content, why would you want to use any sort of proxy?) Since they have to take you in, and have the blood drawn by a medical technician, it also takes the longest to obtain, which means, if you're dumb enough/unlucky enough to actually be just over the line, you will probably be sober enough by the time they take it...

TripleT
09-02-2011, 8:05 AM
They also state that you can refuse a Breathalyzer. Which, technically, you can (and SHOULD), with the giant caveat that, in CA, you must submit to either a blood or urine test.

You should always take the blood option. It's by far the most accurate (since what you're trying to measure is Blood Alcohol Content, why would you want to use any sort of proxy?) Since they have to take you in, and have the blood drawn by a medical technician, it also takes the longest to obtain, which means, if you're dumb enough/unlucky enough to actually be just over the line, you will probably be sober enough by the time they take it...

The time they take the blood doesn't matter as they have very good charts and data that will help them extrapolate the blood alcohol level at time you were stopped. The result is based on weight, age etc. The profile of your blood alcohol level can be used to help your defense or it can also convict. Good DUI defense attorneys know how to find holes in the blood profile process. Don't count on a delay in testing helping you to beat a DUI.

Pat Riot
09-02-2011, 8:21 AM
Yes, this card is mostly inaccurate, but....

If this is true, it is outrageous. Please provide a citation/reference for this requirement. If this is the case, then I would like to research why CA thinks I do not have the right to retain my own blood.

joefrank64k
09-02-2011, 8:51 AM
Yes, this card is mostly inaccurate, but....

If this is true, it is outrageous. Please provide a citation/reference for this requirement. If this is the case, then I would like to research why CA thinks I do not have the right to retain my own blood.

You don't HAVE to submit to breath, blood, or urine....but if you refuse, then your license is suspended for a year (3 years if within 10 years of another DUI conviction).

23612. (a) (1) (A) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood or breath for the purpose of determining the alcoholic content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153...

(D) The person shall be told that his or her failure to submit to, or the failure to complete, the required chemical testing will result in a fine, mandatory imprisonment if the person is convicted of a violation of Section 23152 or 23153, and (i) the suspension of the personís privilege to operate a motor vehicle for a period of one year...

Sort of like security screening at the airport...you are not required to go through, but then you can't get on the plane.

G-forceJunkie
09-02-2011, 12:47 PM
23612. (a) (1) (A) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood or breath for the purpose of determining the alcoholic content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153...

Note the bolded part. You don't have to submit untill they arrest you.

haodoken
09-02-2011, 1:17 PM
Best thing to do is NOT drive after drinking. Find a good friend who does not drink and have them drive. Of course, get them a good meal and lots of non-alcoholic drinks. Then when ur Sh*tfaced they can carry you to the car and take you home! ;) Problem solved!

hasserl
09-02-2011, 2:59 PM
They can actually take your blood sample against your will. I don't have the cite right now, but this came up in another thread and the code that provides for this was posted.