PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 shoots consistently high?

iron330
09-01-2011, 8:07 AM
Point of aim with brass bead centered just a hair below centerline of black square; factory sights. Seated and benched. Bore was cleaned (patches with cable from breech to muzzle) before this outing, but had 40 shots downrange on another target prior to this one shown here. Total shots through rifle before this is 180 rounds. Similar results then too. I'd say its all me, but I'm a bit disappointed either way. The ones that hit bullseye are flyers, LOL.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--aSSbtJa-xI/Tl-cNIG-pRI/AAAAAAAAAhM/ibHLWGQgkc8/s800/1022bench.jpg

nbkvig2
09-01-2011, 8:13 AM
Mine shoots high too....I have to aim 2 inches below the target @ 35-50yards. But the rear sights are adjustable?? I haven't had time to fumble with it yet but it shoots accurately (seems to be so in your case as well), so I have no gripes.

kmca
09-01-2011, 8:19 AM
First, if that's at 35 feet, I'd try different brand of ammunition. It should be grouping better than that. I've had very good luck with the Remington Golden Bullets. My 10/22's are the only guns that I have that can run Remington consistently. After that, we'll work on the sight adjustment :)

robcoe
09-01-2011, 8:19 AM
Not sure about your rifle, but on my 10/22 the sights are adjustable.

IIRC the sights are zeroed at the factory at either 25 yards(75 feet) or 50 yards(150 feet), that might be why your a bit high at 11 yards.

iron330
09-01-2011, 9:01 AM
IIRC the sights are zeroed at the factory at either 25 yards(75 feet) or 50 yards(150 feet), that might be why your a bit high at 11 yards.

Yep, after looking at the manual closely, I also realize Ruger's suggested sight picture is different than what I'm doing. Also, the rear sight slide can be adjusted, so I think this is fairly easy to fix. I don't think ammo is the issue, I'm using CCI mini mags– HP and ball. Before I bought the 10/22 a month ago, I hadn't shot a rifle in 25 years, LOL. So patience is the order of the day ;-)

kmca
09-01-2011, 4:02 PM
Practice will definitely help :)

Don't discount different brands of ammunition. I try 10 to 12 different brands in each 22 I get. So far, my 10/22's (fortunately for me) like the Remington. The other brand it likes is about $12/50. I give up about 1/4" in groups with the Remington, but I can live with that.

jyo
09-01-2011, 6:13 PM
You really have to put the brass bead into the notch of the rear sight---otherwise you are making the gun shoot high. Also, there are little screws that allow a great deal of elevation adjustment---moving the notch up will make the gun shoot higher, moving it down, lower. I would suggest bench resting the rifle at 25 yards (75 feet) as a good place to zero it. And yes, different ammo with shoot to different points of aim. Oh, and try to shoot slowly and deliberately---take your time.

iron330
09-01-2011, 9:29 PM
Good adviceľ thanks to all.

roushstage2
09-03-2011, 2:40 AM
You really have to put the brass bead into the notch of the rear sight---otherwise you are making the gun shoot high.
I was going to suggest the same thing. When I first started shooting my 10/22, I was going a bit high. I put the bead right into the notch, and bam! Haven't missed a target since.

ejhc11
09-03-2011, 8:18 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing. When I first started shooting my 10/22, I was going a bit high. I put the bead right into the notch, and bam! Haven't missed a target since.

Same here, I really have to face plant my cheek into the stock to get that front bead under that tiny rear notch. Too low for me so I mounted a red dot, now its really easy to shoot, and a lot quicker acquisition.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/P1080726sm.jpg

Mail Clerk
09-03-2011, 9:38 AM
Looks like you shot your rifle using two different brands of ammo. What I usuallt do is test for groups first trying as many different brands as possible. THEN when I'm finished dial my rifle in for that particular brand.

Mail Clerk

roushstage2
09-03-2011, 2:14 PM
Same here, I really have to face plant my cheek into the stock to get that front bead under that tiny rear notch. Too low for me so I mounted a red dot, now its really easy to shoot, and a lot quicker acquisition.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/P1080726sm.jpg
Yeah, lol. I do have to get my face down onto (almost into!) the stock as well. Been considering a red dot instead of mounting the extra 4x scope I've got. What do you have on yours exactly? It seems you like it...yeah?

BayouBullets
09-03-2011, 6:26 PM
Sorry guy, but no 10/22 shoots a group that large, that close to the target. Mount and trigger technique. Back up to 25 yards. Use a rest. Focus on proper technique on each shot. Make sure you are really planting the bead at the bottom of the notch too. (I noticed several others also mentioned that). When your groups get down to a nice tight size, decide if you need to adjust your sights. Otherwise, sight adjustment is a waste of time.