View Full Version : 1919A6 a no-no?

08-31-2011, 4:24 PM
I just called the DOJ to see what I needed to do to sell the 1919A6 I built. It's not serial numbered yet, and I didn't know the procedures in order to serial number it so it can be transferred. Anyway, he verifies that I said "A6" as I'm talking and not "A4" and then proceeds to tell me that you can't sell it as an A6; that's a no-no. I was under the impression that an A6 was okay, but such things as cone flashhider on it may not be. I asked them about that before as well, and it was "unclear." I've seen MG34's shipped from TNW to CA with cones on them, so...(?)

08-31-2011, 4:39 PM
ATF says that if you sell a homebuilt firearm that you have to engrave your name, city, state, and a serial number on it. You don't have to register that info with CADOJ or ATF.

Once that is done, you should be able to sell it in CA like any other legal rifle. So, it needs to be featureless with no flashhider. Whether or not it has an "evil feature" PG is questionable, but based on existing CADOJ letters about the same grip on a 1919a4, you should be fine.

08-31-2011, 5:01 PM
An A6 is fine. It's a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine.

As long as it has NO evil features (like a flash hider), it's perfectly legal. Remember, the CA ban is not like the old Fed ban that relied on TWO evil features (the pistol grip was usually the freebie). You can't have ANY of the SB23 listed features.

So even though the pistol grip doesn't count as a feature, the flash hider sure would. So would a grenade launcher or a collapsible stock :)

08-31-2011, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured as much. The last time I spoke with a DOJ rep it was about the buffer with cone flash hider I have for the .308 conversion for it. He said the A6 was fine. The pistol grip does not protrude from the bottom of the receiver, etc. You guys have heard it all. Funny thing, I was shooting it in front of a bunch of SWAT guys down in Avenal, and nobody said a thing. That should have been a sign right there. I shall carry on.