PDA

View Full Version : 2AF Gottlieb vs BC Daniel Vice on SCPR

ADH
08-31-2011, 1:49 PM
There is a button to listen at the top of the article.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2011/08/31/20503/nra-rights/

Guests:

Daniel Vice, Senior Attorney at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and co-author of their recent report, Hollow Victory

Alan Gottlieb, Founder of the Second Amendment Foundation

ckprax
08-31-2011, 2:13 PM
The ignorance of most of the comments is astounding. I also see that the author alludes that the Heller decision confirms the 2A as an individual right but limits it to one's home! So frustrating, can't people read?

ADH
08-31-2011, 2:14 PM
...and after listening to the piece in it's entirety I have to say that it sounds like Mr. Vice opposes not only Second Amendment Rights but the very idea of divided government itself. He complains multiple times that the "gun rights" community is pursuing action through the Judiciary at all. I'm more appalled at Brady than usual over this. They really need a civics lesson.

Maestro Pistolero
08-31-2011, 2:38 PM
The vulnerability of the Brady's position on whether 2A rights extend outside the home depicted in this photo:

http://www.christopherjhoffman.com/images/headinthesand.jpg

yellowfin
08-31-2011, 2:54 PM
Vice's opening line: "Three years ago, when the Supreme Court created this new right..."

There's a big part of the problem right there.

Crom
08-31-2011, 3:00 PM
I'm so grateful for the work Alan Gottlieb does. Makes me feel good when I send SAF money. :)

Window_Seat
08-31-2011, 3:12 PM
The Brady Attorney talks about how it's too dangerous for people to carry outside the home, then he does an about face by saying that those who are allowed to carry inside of bars in VA should have the training that is necessary to shoot the firearm properly.

Erik.

Blackhawk556
08-31-2011, 3:20 PM
How many states are shall issue? 39? How many shootouts do we have every single day???

Maestro Pistolero
08-31-2011, 3:40 PM
Nowhere, EVER, do they weigh the risk of NOT being armed when you really need to be.

ckprax
08-31-2011, 4:43 PM
Nowhere, EVER, do they weigh the risk of NOT being armed when you really need to be.

This always alludes the antis because there is no legitimate argument. It is always, what are the chances? Or you are better off just doing what they say. You probably aren't skilled enough to use a gun...

socal2310
08-31-2011, 5:34 PM
How many states are shall issue? 39? How many shootouts do we have every single day???

Actually, 40 thanks to Wisconsin:D.

Ryan

Dreaded Claymore
08-31-2011, 9:40 PM
The comments make me sick.

Apocalypsenerd
08-31-2011, 10:36 PM
After that debate, it is pretty clear the BC has extremely weak, factual arguments. They are running on fumes.

If he had more legitimate claims, wouldn't Mr. Vice have used them, rather than continuously spout language that is dishonest and designed to inflame?

This leads me to believe that if we continue our push, their arguments will wash away faster and faster.

Maestro Pistolero
08-31-2011, 10:47 PM
What ever will these people do once every lawful person that wants to can carry a gun? What's left to argue at that point?

ADH
08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
After that debate, it is pretty clear the BC has extremely weak, factual arguments. They are running on fumes.

You want to know the ironic part? I found that link on THE BRADY CAMPAIGN'S OWN FACEBOOK PAGE. I can't believe they saw fit to propagate that embarrassing defense of their positions even further out into the public. "In for a penny, in for a pound" I suppose.

Apocalypsenerd
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Perhaps in the vacuum of verifiable studies, once upon a time, their emotional rhetoric worked quite well. Now with evidence that refutes most of the anti-gun hyperbole, they have not changed gears.

They are like the captains of industry in the 70's who failed to adapt to the realities of the 90's. Their business model needs updating, but they don't see it.

oni.dori
09-01-2011, 3:25 AM
They just had to throw "assault clips" in there (as well as a few of their other currently favored buzzwords IIRC). Not to mention they had nothing but their tride-and-true contribed arguments that have no basis in fact or reality; and the few "facts" they tried to use once again were either false, made up, or taken out of context/misrepresented. I said it already, and I'll say it again, one trick pony 'til the end.