PDA

View Full Version : Duck

jfcosgrove3
01-24-2007, 3:08 PM
Anybody know any locations for duck hunting in San Diego County? Anybody had any luck?

anotherone
01-24-2007, 4:23 PM
Anybody know any locations for duck hunting in San Diego County? Anybody had any luck?

Go to your local Department of Fish and Game office and ask them about wildlife refuges near San Diego. At least up north all the waterfowl hunting on public land happens on wildlife refuges. Unfortunately there is less than 5 days left to kill ducks this season, but it's never too early to find out where to go next season.

Here are a couple of ducks I killed on public land last weekend:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/kphga1977/P1010066.jpg

jfcosgrove3
01-24-2007, 6:59 PM
I had pretty good luck at Salton Sea last week but I'm tired of making that drive. Thanks for the heads up.

anotherone
01-25-2007, 6:26 PM
I had pretty good luck at Salton Sea last week but I'm tired of making that drive. Thanks for the heads up.

See any Bufflehead out there?

taloft
01-25-2007, 7:10 PM
Lake Barrett and Sutherland Reservoir both have Duck hunting. I don't know if you can hunt Otay this season or not.

For information on the City Lakes waterfowl program, call 619-668-2060.

According to Turner's outdoor news: 38 hunters took 113 ducks and 10 coots. including 8 limits, for a 3.24 average. The duck bag was made up of 30 ruddies, 24 shovelers, 15 ringnecks, 12 gadwall, 10 bufflehead, seven mallards, three canvasback, three pintail, two scaup, two wigeon, two greenwings, two redheads, and one goldeneye.

No shooters were at Sutherland either day.

Reservations are sold out for Barrett but, remain open for Sutherland. Good luck!

anotherone
01-25-2007, 8:26 PM
The duck bag was made up of 30 ruddies, 24 shovelers, 15 ringnecks, 12 gadwall, 10 bufflehead, seven mallards, three canvasback, three pintail, two scaup, two wigeon, two greenwings, two redheads, and one goldeneye.

Ruddies!!!!

There's this one spot I go to where the water is about 4 feet deep where literally thousands of Ruddy ducks congregate. I've gone there a few times with just a couple of inflatable decoys and I set them up near a clump of Tule in the middle of the water. The Ruddys swim over to check it out and I swear it only takes me 3 or 4 shots to completely limit out on them. They're like little bulldogs with their huge thick necks and bodies and they are greasy as heck when you cook 'em up.