PDA

View Full Version : Confusing!!!

Bruce
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I was looking at a copy of the California Penal Code, 2011 Lexis Nexis edition, and next to the listings for "Control of Deadly Weapons" it says "(Repealed January 1, 2012). What gives with that?

mrdd
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
The laws are being reorganized and moved to a different section of the code. Look down to Part 6 and you will see the new language.

unusedusername
08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
<tinfoil hat voice>

They are keeping all the same laws, but changing the PC reference numbers so that we can't cite it from memory...

<end tinfoil hat voice>

Edit to add: the new way actually makes more sense if you squint at it and tilt your head sideways.

Librarian
08-31-2011, 1:45 PM
<tinfoil hat voice>

They are keeping all the same laws, but changing the PC reference numbers so that we can't cite it from memory...

<end tinfoil hat voice>

Edit to add: the new way actually makes more sense if you squint at it and tilt your head sideways.

Bah! I'll tell you it's driving me crazy.... :willy_nilly:

monk
08-31-2011, 3:09 PM
So how do LEO's do it? Must be a pain remembering all these PCs.

MasterYong
08-31-2011, 3:17 PM

They don't.

Especially for firearms-related offenses.

My buddy went through POST a few months ago, and they were only encouraged to memorize the PCs they were most likely going to need to enforce. They spent less than an hour on firearms law because they never really need to enforce it (if that's not a case against gun control, I don't know what is: "Our cops don't even study the firearms-related PCs cuz so few people are ever caught breaking those laws..."). He only knows the firearms-related PCs as they pertain to the sort of gang-banger-type criminal: concealed weapons, possession in commission of a felony, etc. He was actually convinced until I cited PC to prove otherwise that you couldn't lend someone a firearm for any reason.

Attiic
08-31-2011, 3:21 PM

Have you ever met one who does actually remember them all?

BigDogatPlay
08-31-2011, 3:33 PM

Speaking from experience, you can't remember them all. No one could. And certainly not verbatim. You retain the ones you use every day, and the actual elements of sections became my memory triggers. I carried Qwik-Codes in my pinch book for both PC and VC, and soft bound full copies of both in my bag. If I didn't know it I was never afraid to look it up.

CHP guys though..... they can't leave the academy until they can recite entire chapters of the VC.

j/k ;)