PDA

View Full Version : Bulge in Colt M4 Barrel

SuMoSam
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I was stripping down my Colt M4 tonight and noticed a bulge in the barrel. It doesn't look right and wanted to know if you guys have seen the same thing with your barrels.

uxo2
08-31-2011, 5:54 AM
is that a 22 barrel??

killathrilla
08-31-2011, 6:14 AM
Call Colt!

shadow65
08-31-2011, 6:20 AM
Did you have a squib round?

SuMoSam
08-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Did you have a squib round?

No squib load as far as I'm concern.

SuMoSam
08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
I take it that this is not normal and unsafe, so does anyone know if there is an aftermarket barrel made for the Colt M4?

L4D
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I take it that this is not normal and unsafe, so does anyone know if there is an aftermarket barrel made for the Colt M4?

Colt wont do squat. you need to call Umarex.

BSlacker
08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
I was curious about the shiny ring around the bulged looking spot. Is it there or just an artifact of the picture? What does a look down the bore show? :)

Peter W Bush
08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
That doesn't look like a Colt M4 at all

SuMoSam
08-31-2011, 1:07 PM
Colt wont do squat. you need to call Umarex.

I called Umarex this morning and it seems they only have a 1 year parts warranty. A replacement barrel is going to cost $117, so I want to see if there are any upgraded barrels on the market.

I was curious about the shiny ring around the bulged looking spot. Is it there or just an artifact of the picture? What does a look down the bore show? :)

The shiny ring is located right in the middle of the bulge. I believe it is the result of stretching in the metal around that location. I don't recall what i saw when I looked inside the barrel last night.

That doesn't look like a Colt M4 at all

The barrel on the Colt M4 is hidden inside an outershell which replicates a real M4 barrel.

L4D
08-31-2011, 1:16 PM
I called Umarex this morning and it seems they only have a 1 year parts warranty. A replacement barrel is going to cost $117, so I want to see if there are any upgraded barrels on the market.

Nope. No one is going to be making any aftermarket internals for this feebly designed rifle.

Send them the picture and ask them if that's normal. Ill see if I can take a look at mine later today.

BSlacker
08-31-2011, 1:28 PM
I don't recall what i saw when I looked inside the barrel last night.

Take a look. The bulge looks to well made. The 22 bulges I have seen have a different shape. Some barrels have an OD like that for function. I ask about the ring because it could be wear where the bigger OD barrel section is supported and it rubs. I would like to see another one. :)

L4D
08-31-2011, 1:34 PM
Hard to tell but I don't see any bulges in these pics.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=222049&highlight=umarex+colt

BSlacker
08-31-2011, 1:51 PM
I got a look at one there are no bulges. The OP needs a new barrel. Can you relate it to a brand and lot number of ammo? :)

nrakid88
08-31-2011, 2:36 PM
Wow. Is that barrel made of pot steel? I can't imagine a .22lr squib doing that much expanding. Jesus.

The guys who test to destruction many firearms on the gun channel, did a squib load with a 357 smith and wesson
and like 5 squibs, then went to a hot load to blow them out... that barrel didn't look nearly as expanded as this one.

If I was you buddy... I would take this as a bad omen from Umarex... get your self a reall .22, not one made by an airsoft company.

bwiese
08-31-2011, 2:51 PM
For a minute I thought someone was talking about real M4s..

G-forceJunkie
08-31-2011, 7:26 PM
This is in the rimfire section... :)For a minute I thought someone was talking about real M4s..

OP: That looks bad, do not fire that barrel. Somehow, you had a squib. Or some sort of barrel obstruction (left a tight patch in there?) Ever had a ruptured case that blew smoke out the action? Those can leave a bullet stuck in the bore.

smle-man
08-31-2011, 9:18 PM
When you run a patch through the bore you will be able to feel the bulged area when the patch hits it. You had a round get stuck and another pushed it out. Unfortunately this happens with .22s, more so with the bargain .22 ammo.

MrExel17
09-01-2011, 1:06 AM
Man learn something everyday, did know it can do that to a barrel!

tonelar
09-01-2011, 1:16 AM
No squib load as far as I'm concern admitting to.

Fixed it for you.

Is the barrel outer sleeve bulged as well?

Peter W Bush
09-01-2011, 3:42 PM
Wow. Is that barrel made of pot steel? I can't imagine a .22lr squib doing that much expanding. Jesus.

The guys who test to destruction many firearms on the gun channel, did a squib load with a 357 smith and wesson
and like 5 squibs, then went to a hot load to blow them out... that barrel didn't look nearly as expanded as this one.

If I was you buddy... I would take this as a bad omen from Umarex... get your self a reall .22, not one made by an airsoft company.

They fired a hot .357 magnum load out of a barrel that was obstructed with 5 bullets and the barrel didn't blow up? Sorry, that is hard to believe. Almost impossible to believe.

ADAM
09-01-2011, 4:02 PM
For a minute I thought someone was talking about real M4s..

same here