PDA

View Full Version : A[[leseed Event - SF Bay Area?

wjc
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Any plans for an Appleseed Event around the SF Bay Area?

I saw a flyer at Los Altos Rod & Gun Club and was hoping something might be done there or closer to the SF Bay Area.

ironpete
08-31-2011, 1:33 AM
Castro Valley has shoots every other month. The next one is Oct 15-16, 2011.

Sacramento has regular shoots also with the next one on Sept 17-18.

For the full list of California events you can go to:
http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=CA&statename=California (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=CA&statename=California)

-Peter

wjc
08-31-2011, 4:26 PM
Castro Valley would be closest. I look into that.

Thanks ironpete!

Eljay
08-31-2011, 4:34 PM
Note that the Castro Valley shoots have been selling out well in advance of the event, and there's only a dozen slots left right now (down from 50 I think). I'd book sooner rather than later. (In fact, I did - well, my wife did - she'll be there in October.)

wjc
09-02-2011, 5:01 PM
Note that the Castro Valley shoots have been selling out well in advance of the event, and there's only a dozen slots left right now (down from 50 I think). I'd book sooner rather than later. (In fact, I did - well, my wife did - she'll be there in October.)

I was looking into the December shoot. i still have to zero the sights on my rifle.

Eljay
09-02-2011, 6:07 PM
I was looking into the December shoot. i still have to zero the sights on my rifle.

Speaking of which, you just need a semi-decent zero. Once they're far enough along in instruction that most of the students groups start to look like actual groups they go over how to figure out how many clicks you need, etc.

wjc
09-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Speaking of which, you just need a semi-decent zero. Once they're far enough along in instruction that most of the students groups start to look like actual groups they go over how to figure out how many clicks you need, etc.

I still need to learn the process. This is iron sights on an M1A. But I do know what MOA is and how to figure it out at different ranges! :D

I'm not sure about buying the canvas sling. I learned to shoot with the M1907 leather sling.

Eljay
09-03-2011, 8:05 AM
Either sling is fine, but if you don't already have a leather sling I'd just get a cotton one. They're cheap and they're easy to get on and off and it seems to me like the leather ones are kind of stiff until you've had a chance to wear them in some...

I know squat about M1A sights so can't help you there (I don't suppose they're the same as the M1 Garand? Should be about 10 clicks up on one of those.)

ironpete
09-03-2011, 9:42 AM
I always tell my daughter to try everything...it might be the best thing in the world but you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Bottom line is we'll run what you brung but while you're there try everything available to you. If you have an 1907 take it with you...but also ask the Shoot Boss if you can use a loaner sling web sling. While you're there at the shoot try both!

Just like zeroing your rifle there is no "magic" or mystique to equipment. Try everything and figure out what is right for you.

-Peter

wjc
09-05-2011, 5:13 PM
Either sling is fine, but if you don't already have a leather sling I'd just get a cotton one. They're cheap and they're easy to get on and off and it seems to me like the leather ones are kind of stiff until you've had a chance to wear them in some...

I know squat about M1A sights so can't help you there (I don't suppose they're the same as the M1 Garand? Should be about 10 clicks up on one of those.)

I've been using the sling so it's worn in enough. Standard M1A sights are pretty much the same as Garand. National Match sights are a little different.

My elevation zero is 12 clicks. :)

Eljay
09-05-2011, 8:06 PM
Sounds like everything's well under control. :-)