View Full Version : NFA trust newbie w/ questions...

08-30-2011, 9:48 PM
just got my NFA trust, just have a few questions looking for input on - hopefully you'll be able to help.

How do I transfer ownership of non-NFA items into the trust? (standard handguns, etc)? I realize that since long guns aren't "registered" they are likely a matter of just "saying" that I gave ownership to the trust, but what about handguns? Vol reg form and $19?
Is there legally anything against having your LTC handgun owned by your trust? what possible ramifications are there?

Ultimately (besides the ability to purchase NFA items) the goal behind getting the trust is/was establishing survivability of my guns to my son, regardless of what laws might be put into place between now and then.

thanks all!

08-31-2011, 5:30 AM
A trust is a legal person.

Firearms would be transfered via CA FFL dealer from a person to the trust.

Some issuing authorities want the handguns that you want on your CA LTC permit to be registered to the permit holder. So, talk to your issuing authority.

08-31-2011, 5:46 AM
You just list them on your trust. You are still the "registered owner", but they belong to the trust.
It's similar to owning a vehicle that is "technically" owned by the bank (financed). The bank is the legal owner (until you pay it off) but you are the listed, registered owner (bearing all of the legal responsibility ).

Jagertroop is NOT a lawyer. For definitive answers, consult your lawyer. You paid a lawyer to draft your trust (presumably ). He should be able to answer these questions.

08-31-2011, 7:45 PM