View Full Version : sbr tax stamp with a home built rifle

08-30-2011, 7:27 PM

lets say jim bob in nevada is planning on building a krink,

what would be the procedure to legally build a sbr at home ?

08-30-2011, 7:31 PM
from shotgun world- a short barrel shotgun falls under the same process rules as an SBR I believe- (vs an AOW)

So, here we go..

First and foremost, you must ensure that SBS's are lawful in your state of residence. After that, and assuming SBS's are lawful in your state, you must:

- Complete and sign 2 copies of ATF Form 5320.1 (Form 1 - Application to Make and Register a Firearm)
- Attach 1 passport-style photos to each Form 1 (2 photos total)
- Obtain the original signature (certification) of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in your area on each Form 1. The CLEO may be the Chief of Police of your town, the Sheriff of your county or a District Attorney, among others. Depending on where you live and who you know this may be easy to obtain, or it may be virtually impossible.
- Complete and sign 1 copy of ATF Form 5330.20 "Certificate of Compliance"
- Include 2 sets of your fingerprints on ATF FD-258 fingerprint cards.
- Send all forms (with attached photos) and fingerprint cards, along with a $200 check (or money order) for payment of the Making Tax, to the address on the form. I recommend Registered Mail for this.
- Wait
- Wait
- Wait some more (Actually it's not forever ... it just feels that way when it's your first time)
- In approximately 30-180 days, ATF will return 1 original approved Form to you. ***update** ATF seems to be doing better on time now, most I have heard about have been less than 30 days now.

After ATF returns the approved form you may lawfully assemble or "make" your SBS. Please note that you cannot lawfully make the SBS until after ATF has approved your application, neither should you possess the parts to complete the SBS until you have received the approved form. AS soon as you get the form back, make several GOOD copies of it, and put the original one up in a safe place like a fire safe, lock box or even better, a safe deposit box. The ATF WILL NOT replace it if you lose it, they will send you a crappy photo copy. REMEMBER, This form keeps your butt out of jail.

Once you get the forms back you will need a short barrel. You can buy one or cut one down yourself. I have done both. If you want to buy one, you can sometimes find them on e-bay believe it or not, or other firearm sites. They will run you about $100 to $200 depending on what you are looking for. You can also get one from most "Class 3" dealers. The easiest thing to do is just cut it off yourself or take your barrel AND a COPY of your approved ATF form to your gunsmith of choice. He should be able to cut it down, touch up the finish, drill and tap and install a sight

You will also need to mark the frame, receiver, or barrel with the following info by engraving or stamping. (This information
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. and plainly visible, not hidden under the fore-end)
- your name
- City, state

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422 ... 79.102.htm

I do the barrel, that way you can return to a standard 18in barrel if you ever decide you don't want a SBS any longer without destroying the value of the shotgun by having your name on the receiver.

"But were do I get these forms?" you ask.

very simple grasshopper. you can down load all of them but the fingerprint cards. The Police dept can furnish the finger print cards or you can order them from the ATF here http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

The form 1 and "Certificate of Compliance" can be down loaded from these sites.




If you don't want to down load the forms, you can go to this ATF site and order as many of the forms you want. Same site as the Finger print cards. http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

ALWAYS keep a copy of the approved form with the gun. You can travel anywhere with in your state without notifying anyone, (the same has a normal firearm) If you want to take it to another state, you MUST FIRST, notify the ATF with a form 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This is tax free, and you can do it by FAX.. you can download from the same website as the others or use this direct link.


Is it worth all of this just to have a shotgun with a short barrel? To me it is, but you will have to make that decision

- So now grass hopper,go forth and shoot your new toy!!

***edit updated BATFE web links***

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=80131#ixzz1WZd97621

Table Rock Arms
08-30-2011, 8:40 PM
Fill out Form 1, get signed off by sheriff, get your finger prints on the Specific finger print cards needed, get passport photos, and send it all to ATF with a $200 check. Then you just wait.

You can avoid the sheriff signature and fingerprint card by getting a trust.

08-31-2011, 5:27 AM
Current wait time is about 3-4 months.
But, can be from 2 weeks to 6 months.

08-31-2011, 5:33 AM
Current wait time is about 3-4 months.
But, can be from 2 weeks to 6 months.

I was just in a store in NV and the dealer said he has heard of time double that. 7-8 months.

08-31-2011, 5:45 AM
Go with the trust, cuts out the BS.

I just SBR'd another rifle, took 11 weeks and 1 day door to door.

08-31-2011, 9:18 AM
so you would do all this stuff before the rifle was built . ??

what about serial numbers and registration ?

08-31-2011, 9:30 AM
I was just in a store in NV and the dealer said he has heard of time double that. 7-8 months.

With what is currently going on internally at AFT&E, I would not be surprised. But, I hear that they are still giving overnight approvals for SBRs if one promises to smuggle them south of the boarder.;)

08-31-2011, 9:32 AM
You can build the krink but you have to attach an extended fake suppressor to it until you get the stamp

08-31-2011, 9:40 AM
I was just in a store in NV and the dealer said he has heard of time double that. 7-8 months.
could be. the NFA branch just recently reorganized how applications are assigned to the examiners so much of this is in flux right now. Hopefully once they get all the old apps processes from before the realignment, it will stabilze out. But until they hire more people (hiring freeze), with more and more people getting into NFA stuff, the workload will just keep increasing.

so you would do all this stuff before the rifle was built . ??

what about serial numbers and registration ?it needs to be done before it it make into a Title 2 firearm. You could build it now as a Title 1 rifle, with a 16" barrel and 26" OAL to make sure it runs right, or as a Title 1 pistol (no shoulder stock). Then, submit your paperwork so that you can SBR it. Once that comes back approved, then you can SBR it.

Before you actually create the SBR, you would need to engrave your name (or your trust's name if done via a trust), city, state and a serial number on it.