PDA

View Full Version : Delayed question for attornies or LE

flyingtexan
08-30-2011, 7:16 PM
I want to know if this holds true in California; specifically the part about being able to pick up a firearm 72 hours after a delay was issued.

28 C.F.R. § 25.2 Definitions.
Title 28 - Judicial Administration

Delayed means that more research is
required prior to a NICS ‘‘Proceed’’ or
‘‘Denied’’ response. A ‘‘Delayed’’
response to the FFL indicates that it
would be unlawful to transfer the
firearm until receipt of a follow-up
‘‘Proceed’’ response from the NICS or
the expiration of three business days,
whichever occurs first.
Denied means denial

flyingtexan
08-30-2011, 7:19 PM
does the following hold true in CA? Specifcally the abilty to release a weapon 72 hours after a delay.

28 C.F.R. § 25.2 Definitions.
Title 28 - Judicial Administration

Delayed means that more research is
required prior to a NICS ‘‘Proceed’’ or
‘‘Denied’’ response. A ‘‘Delayed’’
response to the FFL indicates that it
would be unlawful to transfer the
firearm until receipt of a follow-up
‘‘Proceed’’ response from the NICS or
the expiration of three business days,
whichever occurs first.
Denied means denial

PolishMike
08-30-2011, 7:21 PM
Dros system supersedes

CSACANNONEER
08-30-2011, 7:25 PM
Your premise is flawed. There is nothing about "72 hours" in there. "Three bussiness days" does not equal "72 hours". It could mean over a week if, the delay is started after the end of that bussiness day and a four day holiday (like Thanksgiving weekend) falls before the third "bussiness day".

flyingtexan
08-30-2011, 7:29 PM
so after 3 days can the firearm be released?

dantodd
08-30-2011, 7:35 PM
I'd be happy to answer for you but I am not an attorney or police officer.

flyingtexan
08-30-2011, 7:43 PM
I will take an answer from anyone who knows:facepalm:

CSACANNONEER
08-30-2011, 7:51 PM
Again, 3 bussiness days does not equal "72 hours". I've already explained to you how "3 bussiness days" could equate to over a week. Also, a FFL already told you that Ca's DROS system is the controlling factor in Ca. FFLs have to wait until the DROS sysytem allows the firearm to be released.

flyingtexan
08-30-2011, 7:57 PM
:cool2:

Librarian
08-30-2011, 8:20 PM
so after 3 days can the firearm be released?

For a CA transaction, not unless the CA background check also comes up clean. CA has 10 days, and can cancel a transaction later than that if information becomes available later.

Ron-Solo
08-30-2011, 8:27 PM
CSA, It's kind of like dealing with your kids. The old, "If dad says no, ask mom"

Some people will keep asking til they get the answer they want. :D

CSACANNONEER
08-30-2011, 8:51 PM
CSA, It's kind of like dealing with your kids. The old, "If dad says no, ask mom"

Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

Librarian
08-30-2011, 8:53 PM

But we CAN collect all the answers in one thread. :D

ETD1010
08-30-2011, 9:27 PM
I had a customer wait over FOUR MONTHS for a DROS to clear due to the DOJ examining the background of the firearm in question.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is what DROS says when you get delayed.

DELAY DELIVERY
DO NOT RELEASE THE FIREARM
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FROM DOJ
Dear Firearms Dealer:

The Department of Justice is required, pursuant to California law, to notify the dealer when a potential purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a firearm, or if the firearm involved in the sale/transfer has been reported stolen. We are unable to determine one of the aforementioned issues at this time. Therefore, we cannot authorize release of the firearm(s) to the purchaser.

We regret any inconvenience to you and the purchaser resulting from this delay. You will be notified as soon as the information pertaining to this sale/transfer has been confirmed.

If you have any questions, please contact Firearms Purchaser Clearance Section at (916) 227-3752. I don't care what anyone else says, I am not releasing your firearm until the DOJ says release or deny.

Citizen 14
08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Here is what DROS says when you get delayed.

I don't care what anyone else says, I am not releasing your firearm until the DOJ says release or deny.

Lol, I love how the DOJ says "Dear Firearms Dealer", like they are sending you a thank you note after a lovely first date. It's just so sweet. :p

Anchors
08-31-2011, 1:01 AM
Lol, I love how the DOJ says "Dear Firearms Dealer", like they are sending you a thank you note after a lovely first date. It's just so sweet. :p

:rofl2::rofl2:
Hahahahahaha that made me laugh too.
Sigline material.

I'm assuming it is them buttering you up right before they....well you know the rest.

"My dearest, sweet firearms dealer....sweet sweet dealer that you are, please don't be upset when I tell you that this transaction is on the back burner. We still love you and those other firearms dealers don't have a real connection like we do. We promise not to delay your transaction, but sometimes stuff happens baby girl. Don't call us, we'll call you soon. Promise. Much love, your's truly...DOJ"