PDA

View Full Version : GRSC 1-4x and 1-6x, what do you know about them?

santacruzstefan
08-30-2011, 6:51 PM
I've been looking at these a lot the past week, particularly the 1-6x. I know a Californian, this guy Ed, is the designer of the reticle, and apparently they have been getting good reviews over on ARFCOM for a while. Just recently the 1-6x was released, supposedly by the same manufacturer that produces a lot of the high- end Japanese glass for other companies. That one comes in at $1025, while the 1-4x, made by a So. Korean company, is remarkably well- priced at $325.

So, what experience do you guys have with them? I like Calgunners more than the folks at ARFCOM, so your input is welcome, especially as it pertains to comparing the value of the 1-6x to similarly powered scopes at the same price point (though I know 1-6x isn't quite as common as 1-4x).

SuperSet
08-30-2011, 7:02 PM
I've used the 1-4X version and it's a very well thought-out scope and priced very competitively. However, this was 6 months - 1 year ago so now you have an intense amount of competition in the 1-4X market in that price range. The Vortex PST, Burris TAC-30/MTAC, and Leatherwood CMR all come to mind.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Do you need a ranging reticule? One thing the GRSC has that other scopes don't have is a ranging reticule. So, you could use those ovals to estimate the range to a target.

2. Do you need a daylight-visible reticule? The GRSC reticule is not visible in bright daylight so I usually have to zoom in to 1.5X to see it in daylight.

santacruzstefan
08-30-2011, 7:49 PM
I've used the 1-4X version and it's a very well thought-out scope and priced very competitively. However, this was 6 months - 1 year ago so now you have an intense amount of competition in the 1-4X market in that price range. The Vortex PST, Burris TAC-30/MTAC, and Leatherwood CMR all come to mind.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Do you need a ranging reticule? One thing the GRSC has that other scopes don't have is a ranging reticule. So, you could use those ovals to estimate the range to a target.

2. Do you need a daylight-visible reticule? The GRSC reticule is not visible in bright daylight so I usually have to zoom in to 1.5X to see it in daylight.

I don't need it daylight visible; while it would be nice, it isn't a deal breaker for me. And the reticle was what really turned me on to these in the first place. Seems very well-designed, and I like the minimal amount of math needed (each circle equating to 10" at a given distance, or something like that). Also doesn't look too "busy" like some of the other ranging reticles I've seen. But since its smaller production, it lacks the unquestionable warranty of, say, one of the Viper PSTs.

Really, it was the fact that the new one's go out to 6x that caught my eye. Ideally I'd like one of those 1-8x scopes, but they are a bit too pricey right now. But even with the 4x, at $325 it comes in a bit less than something like the PST, though not sure about the Burris or Leatherwood you mentioned. At that price, I could easily afford one of the Bobro mounts Ed also sells. With the 1-6x, my budget is a bit more constrained. I suppose its really about figuring how valuable that extra 2x is to me.

SuperSet
08-30-2011, 8:34 PM
If you get a chance to talk to him at one of the gunshows, I'd encourage you to do that. He's a wealth of information about his scope and scope designs, in general, and all-around good guy. One thing you'll notice is that he designed the reticule for combat, particularly since it can be hard to accurately range a target. This may not translate into your particular application, be it a plinker, HD or competition.