PDA

View Full Version : Scope and Rings for Tikka T3 Lite

jmcf22
08-30-2011, 6:45 PM
I am purchasing my first rifle and decided to go with a lefty Tikka T3 Lite SS in either the .308 or 30-06. I'd like to have everything planned out before I pull the trigger so my next step is scoping it out. I'm looking to spend a grand on the whole setup so my price range is about $200-$300. I can go over budget if its a huge of difference in quality.

The scopes I've been looking at are the Viper Diamondback 4-12x40, Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40, Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 and the Burris FF II 3-9x40. I really can't decide on which one I want. If there is another scope that someone prefers for the price I'm all ears. I'll mainly be using it for paper punching and sometime in the future be hunting whitetail. I live in Florida so I need something that will be able to stand up to the high humidity and potential rain.

Also, I assume the next step would be to purchase some rings for the scope. I'm not entirely sure what to look for on this issue. I know you have to choose between low, medium or high mount. Since I can't really look at the rifle and the scope at the same time I'm going to have to resort to an expert opinion on this. I've been looking at DNZ Products (DNZ Products Tikka T3 1 Inch Scope Tube FREE S&H 14550, 14550s, 16550, 16550s, 20550, 20550s. DNZ Products Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.) if this helps.

Thanks in advance.
J.J.

ADAM
08-30-2011, 8:39 PM
it is more then your budget but worth every penny, zeiss conquest 3x9x40 warne maxima low rings as good as it gets.

sk8804
08-30-2011, 8:54 PM
I am purchasing my first rifle and decided to go with a lefty Tikka T3 Lite SS in either the .308 or 30-06. I'd like to have everything planned out before I pull the trigger so my next step is scoping it out. I'm looking to spend a grand on the whole setup so my price range is about $200-$300. I can go over budget if its a huge of difference in quality.

The scopes I've been looking at are the Viper Diamondback 4-12x40, Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40, Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 and the Burris FF II 3-9x40. I really can't decide on which one I want. If there is another scope that someone prefers for the price I'm all ears. I'll mainly be using it for paper punching and sometime in the future be hunting whitetail. I live in Florida so I need something that will be able to stand up to the high humidity and potential rain.

Also, I assume the next step would be to purchase some rings for the scope. I'm not entirely sure what to look for on this issue. I know you have to choose between low, medium or high mount. Since I can't really look at the rifle and the scope at the same time I'm going to have to resort to an expert opinion on this. I've been looking at DNZ Products (DNZ Products Tikka T3 1 Inch Scope Tube FREE S&H 14550, 14550s, 16550, 16550s, 20550, 20550s. DNZ Products Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.) if this helps.

Thanks in advance.
J.J.
I have a dnz mount holding a nikon 4.5-14x40 and its a medium height. Worked out perfect cause with butler creek caps they just barely clear.

Divernhunter
08-30-2011, 9:45 PM
The Tikka will come with rings. Use them. They are good. Buy a scope with a 40mm not a 50mm bell and mount it with the factory rings low to the barrel. If "I" were doing it "I" would put a Leupold 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 Non-AO scope on it and no caps. But that would be a gun I could hunt with and not worry about the scope or missing a shot due to screwing around with scope caps. I also do much target shootingwith my rifles when not hunting. IF "I" were to stricky be target shooting in fair weather then I might get a different brad and a higher power scope but still a 40mm bell.

jmcf22
08-31-2011, 6:00 AM
Thanks for the replies, they really help.

But that would be a gun I could hunt with and not worry about the scope or missing a shot due to screwing around with scope caps.

I haven't looked into scope caps. Are you saying that if I had them that the scope may become misaligned? Due to taking them off and on.

sk8804
08-31-2011, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, they really help.

I haven't looked into scope caps. Are you saying that if I had them that the scope may become misaligned? Due to taking them off and on.

on the scope caps, the lids spring up with a flick of your thumb, but in the heat of the moment, brainfarts happen and you forget to flip them and look into a black cap. lol

bubbapug1
08-31-2011, 9:51 PM
The Tikka is easily capable of 0.5" groups at 100 yards. I'd go with at least 24x magnification to allow you to take advantage of the tremendous accuracy of the rifle.

jmcf22
08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
on the scope caps, the lids spring up with a flick of your thumb, but in the heat of the moment, brainfarts happen and you forget to flip them and look into a black cap. lol

Ohhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks

jmcf22
09-04-2011, 6:38 PM
The Tikka is easily capable of 0.5" groups at 100 yards. I'd go with at least 24x magnification to allow you to take advantage of the tremendous accuracy of the rifle.

What kind of scope did you have in mind for that?

I've also been looking at scopes with the BDC reticle. I haven't been able to find a thread on the pro's and con's of it. Is it worth getting as far as practicality and cost goes? It seems like it'd be fun to be able to get shots out to the 400-500 yard range. But then it seems like there's a lot of work that goes into it as far as matching the reticle to the caliber and grain.

RugerNo1
09-04-2011, 7:17 PM
Warne also makes a decent set of direct mount rings for Tikka rifles. I have them set up on my Tikka 595 MS until I can decide to keep it scoped or return to irons. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=847575

And I second the comment on the Zeiss 3-9x40 with the plain Plex reticule. For me, the BDC reticules have no value because they rarely match your ballistics well. Also, for hunting I would recommend staying around 10-14 at the utmost maximum magnification because you will most likely be wanting for lower magnification and a wider field of view. The high mag scopes are good for varmints and non/slow-moving targets.

Check Ebay and other sites to find some very good deals on scope if you can not swing buying new.

Check here to see if anything suits you: http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Zeiss