PDA

View Full Version : Imperial County

Glock21sfsd
08-30-2011, 3:15 PM
So I am going to be moving to El Centro/Brawley area and was wondering if I have any better chance of getting a CCW there than in San Diego. I am thinking not after reading the info available for imperial county requiring 3 character ref. letters and psych testing. I though both of those requirements were illegal.

Paladin
08-30-2011, 3:32 PM
Probably best to post your Q at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352754

MAVERICK
08-30-2011, 3:51 PM
Why would anyone move to IV?

Glock21sfsd
08-30-2011, 3:56 PM
Why would anyone move to IV?

Job! Its a promotion for me

stitchnicklas
08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
well i have worked down there repeatedly over the past 5 yrs...

and imperial valley is way more pro-2A then riverside/san d....

for indoor shooting--->http://www.bordertactical.com/

outdoor long range--->http://ivrpa.net/

and for a good time--->YUMA BABY!!!

NorCal Mtn Flyer
08-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I lived in El Centro for about 4 months while working for a division of a family business... what a social vacuum!
And the women... they are so ugly, even the town prostitute is still a virgin! ;)

All kidding aside- the IV makes Death Valley seem air conditioned!

Thank goodness San Diego and Yuma aren't too far away!

stitchnicklas
08-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I . what a social vacuum!

All kidding aside- the IV makes Death Valley seem air conditioned!

Thank goodness San Diego and Yuma aren't too far away!

W-T-H???

ONE WORD-------------> GLAMIS<--------------

Rossi357
08-30-2011, 11:46 PM
El Centro is the armpit of the world. 120 degrees in the shade in the summer. Cockroaches big enough to carry off small children. If it rains, don't get off the pavement or you will need a tow truck. Other than that, it's a great place to live.

J.D.Allen
08-31-2011, 9:47 AM
Welcome to death, California. And seriously, you will NOT be getting a LTC here any time soon unless MAYBE if you have to carry large amounts of cash for work. Even then it would be hard. Loera just doesn't believe in giving them out. When I applied I had a personal interview with him and he told me he was afraid of the liability if someone he grants a LTC to shoots someone.

Just a side note, as someone already mentioned the only good thing about the IV is that it's close to Yuma. If you're going to be working in El Centro I would suggest moving to Yuma. I make the commute every day and it's not bad at all. It's only 45 minutes and Yuma is a lot nicer, AND cheaper than the Imperial Valley. More stuff to do, lower prices on everything, nicer parks, it's on the Colorado river, and...oh yeah...cash and carry guns, no AW bans (no stupid bullet buttons or any other such nonsense) and they actually let you carry a gun :eek:.

Just a thought...

Oh and BTW, the weather is only bad for three, maybe four months out of the year. The rest of the time it's quite nice.

1BigPea
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Welcome to death, California. And seriously, you will NOT be getting a LTC here any time soon unless MAYBE if you have to carry large amounts of cash for work. Even then it would be hard. Loera just doesn't believe in giving them out. When I applied I had a personal interview with him and he told me he was afraid of the liability if someone he grants a LTC to shoots someone.

Just a side note, as someone already mentioned the only good thing about the IV is that it's close to Yuma. If you're going to be working in El Centro I would suggest moving to Yuma. I make the commute every day and it's not bad at all. It's only 45 minutes and Yuma is a lot nicer, AND cheaper than the Imperial Valley. More stuff to do, lower prices on everything, nicer parks, it's on the Colorado river, and...oh yeah...cash and carry guns, no AW bans (no stupid bullet buttons or any other such nonsense) and they actually let you carry a gun :eek:.

Just a thought...

Oh and BTW, the weather is only bad for three, maybe four months out of the year. The rest of the time it's quite nice.

^
Good advice right here...

The Shadow
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Just a thought...

Compelling argument, but 95 degrees at night with a 95% humidity from June to October isn't my idea of a great place to live. That's just miserable.

WDE91
08-31-2011, 1:10 PM
multiple posters above have described Imperial County very well

Glock21sfsd
09-06-2011, 8:47 AM
Well thanks for all the info. I work for Calfifornia department of Corrections (Non Custody) and am going to apply. I have several peace officer friends who will right me the character ref. letters.

J.D.Allen
09-06-2011, 8:56 AM
Well thanks for all the info. I work for Calfifornia department of Corrections (Non Custody) and am going to apply. I have several peace officer friends who will right me the character ref. letters.

I doubt he'll grant it but you should certainly apply. Remember that the officer that writes your character reference (which is an illegal requirement to begin with, but I digress) must be a sworn state, local, or county peace officer. No feds (BP, customs) or dept. of corrections officers will suffice. Has to be either a Sheriff's deputy, muni PD officer, CHP, or state parks officer to count, and they have to LIVE and WORK in Imperial county.

If you're going to be at Centinela or Calipat then living in Yuma would be a bit far...crying shame.

a1c
09-06-2011, 9:20 AM
Random trivia: Imperial County DAs are the lowest paid in the entire state.

NorCal Mtn Flyer
09-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Random trivia: Imperial County DAs are the lowest paid in the entire state.

Maybe so... but I bet their bribe ratio is far higher than in most counties! :rolleyes:

dominic
09-06-2011, 9:45 AM
Imperial requires three letters of reference from LEO. That's right three letters of reference from law enforcement officers as part of the application process for LTC. and Corrections or border patrol do not count as LEO either.

Gruber51
10-06-2011, 8:37 PM
Compelling argument, but 95 degrees at night with a 95% humidity from June to October isn't my idea of a great place to live. That's just miserable.

It's a dry heat in June and July. Summer monsoons coming out of the south cause the high humidity in august and early September. Cools way down by October. With glamis, the Colorado, lots of off road space and great upland game, it's an outdoorsmen paradise, but guess it's a little rough for the city slickers.

The Shadow
10-06-2011, 10:05 PM
It's a dry heat in June and July. Summer monsoons coming out of the south cause the high humidity in august and early September. Cools way down by October. With glamis, the Colorado, lots of off road space and great upland game, it's an outdoorsmen paradise, but guess it's a little rough for the city slickers.

I remember Alabama and Korea in the Summer time. Imperial Valley sounds just like that. I hate feeling like a wet rag that needs to be wrung out, and I just can't sleep in that kind of weather. My hats off to anyone that can live in what amounts to the next worst thing to hell.

Rossi357
10-06-2011, 10:50 PM
And you will be closer to Heber, Ca.

J.D.Allen
10-07-2011, 1:24 PM
And you will be closer to Heber, Ca.

That's not exactly a compelling argument for moving here. Heber is not exactly what you would call a nice place.