PDA

View Full Version : Mount for Vortex Viper 1-4 PST

synthetik
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Hello all. First post. I've been a member for awhile but mostly lurking. I've been shooting for years but bought my first AR via a PPT from a very friendly member of calguns. It is an SPR build (specs below) and I have added (among other things) a Vortex Viper 1-4 PST optic to it. Its currently mounted with cheap ring mounts to hold me over however they do not give me enough clearance over the rail to keep my rear magpul MBUS mounted and I'm ready to upgrade.

I would love some general advice on mounting optics on an AR platform (proper height from rail vs cheek weld, eye relief, not obstructing charging handle) as well as specific suggestions of mounts that would allow me to keep my BUS mounted. I am told it is best to also be able to co-witness the iron with the optic (an explanation as to the benefits of this would also be very helpful). I'm looking for something that wont break the bank but am open to all options.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I had been considering the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD but did not know if it would give me enough clearance with the Viper and the Magpul rear MBUS.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

Complete LMT Lower:

LMT Defender 2000 .223/5.56 Lower Receiver
LMT Lower Parts Kit
LMT 2-Stage Trigger
LMT 6-Position Mil-Spec Stock (changed to MAGPUL CTR)
LMT/Ergo Suregrip
Bullet Button (changed to Radlock)

Complete Sabre Defense 18" SPR Upper:

1/7 Twist 18" Chrome Moly, Mid-Weight Barrel - fluted in front and
behind the gas block
Mil-Spec A3 Flat Top Receiver with M4 Feed Ramps
5.56 Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Mid-length Gas System
Rock River Arms Bolt Carrier Group
Rock River Arms Forged Charging Handle
Daniel Defense 12 Inch LiteRail
Daniel Defense Lo-Pro Gas Block
(added Harris bipod)

CSTactical
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I recommend the AD-RECON or SCOUT 30mm Cantilever (American Defense MFG) are great mounts and would be my #1 chose for this setup. If you are looking for a good mount for the price the Burris AR-PEPR SCOPE MNT 30MM W/PICATINNY RAIL.

We have them in stock.

Mike @ CST

synthetik
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I've looked at both of those. Do you know if they will have enough vertical clearance with the Viper to clear the rear BUS when folded down?

IPSICK
08-30-2011, 2:40 PM
I didn't think BUIS could co-witness with a variable scope unless the Vortex is a true 1x. I'd like to hear others opinions as well. Currently I have a Burris 1-4 that is close enough to true 1x for objects 5 yards and out but my fold down front BUIS is too close to co-witness.

santacruzstefan
08-30-2011, 3:03 PM
I don't know about co-witnessing with a variable power, perhaps not so important. I thought you already bought the burris mount? If not, check out CS Tactical, they good people; gave me a little monocular in some contest.

synthetik
08-30-2011, 3:32 PM
Lol Stefan.. great avatar. The Viper is a true 1x but thats a very valid point, the objective is so small and it would have to be so far forward it would be pointless with the amount of eye relief it has. . I guess what Im looking for is simply a solid mount that will give me enough space between the rail and optic to allow me to keep the BUS mounted. I have not picked anything up yet, I wanted to order the Burris but would not want to order it and find that I still cant clear my BUS with it, if someone is using this combination of optic / mount / BUS some advice would be greatly appreciated.

MTG Firearms
08-30-2011, 5:49 PM
I recommend the AD-RECON or SCOUT 30mm Cantilever (American Defense MFG) are great mounts and would be my #1 chose for this setup. If you are looking for a good mount for the price the Burris AR-PEPR SCOPE MNT 30MM W/PICATINNY RAIL.

We have them in stock.

Mike @ CST

I second this recommendation. I highly recommend buying from Mike as well. He's a great guy with a ton of knowledge.

Droppin Deuces
08-30-2011, 7:10 PM
LaRue mounts are also top notch if you're looking for other options.

CSTactical
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
I second this recommendation. I highly recommend buying from Mike as well. He's a great guy with a ton of knowledge.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike @ CST

CSTactical
08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks, I've looked at both of those. Do you know if they will have enough vertical clearance with the Viper to clear the rear BUS when folded down?

It depends on the BUIS but for the most part if it a low profile BUIS Yes it will.

Mike @ CST

MTG Firearms
08-31-2011, 4:50 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike @ CST

You're welcome.

badduggy
08-31-2011, 7:02 AM
i have a pst 1-4x and just changed from a adm recon h (it was too high) down to a adm recon x and it's perfect. it will even cowitness with troy buis.

uscbigdawg
08-31-2011, 7:33 AM

We have them in stock.

Mike @ CST

I've got the AD-Scout on my Vortex PST 1-4x and LOVE IT! On two other rifles, I've got Larue SPR-E mounts and will say that the ADM's are better.

Rich

synthetik
08-31-2011, 8:48 AM
Thank you for all of the feedback everyone, very helpful.

i have a pst 1-4x and just changed from a adm recon h (it was too high) down to a adm recon x and it's perfect. it will even cowitness with troy buis.

From what I've seen the Troy sites are considerably smaller when folded down than the gen1 Magpul sites which I currently have. I havent measured but they appear to be a little more than a half inch above the rail and the rear portion of the optic with the eye cup is about 1.6" across. Why did you feel the Recon H was too high for you? It likely has a better chance of fitting my current setup, or I may have to also swap out the Magpul MBUS for some Troys but trying to keep my cost down... I need to buy a pistol soon :D

SuperSet
08-31-2011, 9:25 AM
I have the ADM Recon H mount and prefer it to anything lower. It sits at 3.15" height over bore (1.93" high mount) so it sits closer to the 3" height over bore that you see for 1/3 lower cowitness red dot setups. But, it depends on your physical makeup as well. I'm a bigger guy so it's perfect for me.

HK Dave
08-31-2011, 9:46 AM
BOBRO