PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo gunlocks

sarabellum
08-29-2011, 9:38 PM
Ughghg, the gunlocks. Where can I buy cheapo Cal. DOJ approved gun locks? The Big 5 reminded me that:
"sir, do you have approved gun locks? If not, behind curtain no. 2 we just happen to have gunlocks for $10 each."

Me: "what's behind curtain number 1?"
Big 5: "we can scratch the sale."

I don't want to get hosed on locks that will get used once.

CC Gunsmithing
08-29-2011, 9:42 PM
I think your local police station should have cheap (read free) crappy gun locks for you, go by and pick one up

sarabellum
08-29-2011, 9:44 PM
That's a good suggestion.

WDE91
08-29-2011, 9:53 PM
ask the Brady Campaign to buy you one FTW

hd_mechanic
08-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Walmart has trigger and cable locks pretty cheap, 3-6 bucks, they are winchester brand and are CA DOJ approved

Anchors
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Write yourself a receipt for one you already have (Sell it to friend, buy it back). Did it today actually. 100% legal.

taperxz
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Write yourself a receipt for one you already have (Sell it to friend, buy it back). Did it today actually. 100% legal.

Probably won't fly at Big 5;)

Pinto
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Where are you located? I'll gift you an approved lock - and a receipt. When you leave the store with your goods, you can gift the lock back to me.

Or do the RyanAnchors thing - you can find yourself a purdy one from the interwebz.

WDE91
08-29-2011, 10:10 PM

LOL EPIC :D
I wonder if you could sell it to your dog or imaginary friend :43:

I imagine a dog has voted in Chicago so it should fly:rolleyes:

stix213
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I wonder if a "sell you your own lock" online website would be worthwhile to create. You sell your lock to the website, then you buy it back and get a receipt that you print out.

Decoligny
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
I wonder if a "sell you your own lock" online website would be worthwhile to create. You sell your lock to the website, then you buy it back and get a receipt that you print out.

There is a website called customreceipts.com where you can create your own receipts. I am pretty sure you can print them out, but can't be sure as I have only looked at it on my Iphone.

HKMadness
08-30-2011, 1:07 AM
Turdners told me it had to be in sealed packaging bout 5 yrs ago. Walmart for $4 cant be beat. Or...ask the brady campaign! Lol bjkearns.

Anchors
08-30-2011, 1:19 AM
Probably won't fly at Big 5;)

Big 5 only sells long guns and a safe affidavit is enough for long guns ;)

By the way, "safe" includes any DOJ approved locking cabinet. Some of which are pretty cheap and keep the honest folks out at least if you can't afford a heavy duty safe.

oni.dori
08-30-2011, 2:12 AM
Ughghg, the gunlocks. Where can I buy cheapo Cal. DOJ approved gun locks? The Big 5 reminded me that:
"sir, do you have approved gun locks? If not, behind curtain no. 2 we just happen to have gunlocks for $10 each."

Me: "what's behind curtain number 1?"
Big 5: "we can scratch the sale."

I don't want to get hosed on locks that will get used once.

Buy one from Big 5. Walk out, put the firearm in the locked container in your vehicle. Walk back in to Big 5, return said lock. 100% legit.

Alternative: Buy lock from somewhere else (like aforementioned Wal-Mart sales). Return gun lock unused and unopened within the 30-day return window after firearm has been taken possesion of.

Case solves itself.

Either that, or I have plenty of extras I could sell you.

edgerly779
08-30-2011, 5:10 AM
Most ffls won't accept leo gunlocks must be purchased within 30 days and cops give you no receipt. Martin Retting refused to accept lapd lock. This only applies to handguns

Havoc70
08-30-2011, 5:46 AM
Cable locks only apply to handguns sales and by law must be included (purchased) with the handgun purchase which is why you now get cable locks in your pistol's case. Long arms don't require such things, screw Big 5.

Librarian
08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Cable locks only apply to handguns sales and by law must be included (purchased) with the handgun purchase which is why you now get cable locks in your pistol's case. Long arms don't require such things, screw Big 5.

Unfortunately, not accurate.

CA law requires a 'firearms safety device' must accompany any firearm before it can be delivered to the buyer/transferee. For long guns, one may provide the safe affidavit in lieu of buying a lock.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws

Z28
08-30-2011, 1:06 PM
Like others said, just buy one at Walmart and then return it.

taperxz
08-30-2011, 3:09 PM
Big 5 only sells long guns and a safe affidavit is enough for long guns ;)

By the way, "safe" includes any DOJ approved locking cabinet. Some of which are pretty cheap and keep the honest folks out at least if you can't afford a heavy duty safe.

AGREED> AGREED AGREED! Look what the OP says, Long rifle and required lock at Big 5 because OP has no safe. Big 5 wants to sell a lock not see a self made receipt. Like i said, probably wont fly at Big 5.

Your also telling him to buy a cheap safe and at the same token the OP is complaining about having to buy a $10 lock. LOL

taperxz
08-30-2011, 3:13 PM
OP! Buy yourself the lock and keep it! Those cable locks that go through the action are great for when you have a gun case in the back seat and you are going into a restaurant to eat. Lock the case and use the cable lock to lock it to the base of the seat in case someone wants to do a smash and grab. Personally i can never have enough locks for whatever reason.

Scarecrow Repair
08-30-2011, 8:40 PM
OP! Buy yourself the lock and keep it! Those cable locks that go through the action are great for when you have a gun case in the back seat and you are going into a restaurant to eat. Lock the case and use the cable lock to lock it to the base of the seat in case someone wants to do a smash and grab. Personally i can never have enough locks for whatever reason.

Someone else mentioned this -- the requirement, by law as far as I know, is to have a lock purchased within 30 days. That's why the free police locks are no good for this, and why so many posters recommend buying a lock from WalMart, with a gift receipt, and returning it after pickup. You can certainly make your own receipts and skirt the law, but criminy, locks are so cheap compared to guns that why sweat it?

guntntteacher
08-30-2011, 9:49 PM
Unfortunately, not accurate.

CA law requires a 'firearms safety device' must accompany any firearm before it can be delivered to the buyer/transferee. For long guns, one may provide the safe affidavit in lieu of buying a lock.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws

This is what I had to do. No biggie.

sarabellum
08-31-2011, 10:24 AM
You will find this interesting. Yesterday, I went to the Albany Police Dpt. which gave me 2 locks. Upon going back to Big 5, the manager demanded, "Do you have receipts for these locks showing purchase within the last 30 days? If you don't, the only way you can buy these rifles today is if you buy our locks." When I asked her for a law requiring that I purchase Big 5's gun locks, she had no answer.

On both occasions the Big 5 staff pressed me to buy their $10 locks.

Today, I spoke with the Cal. DOJ. Their staff person informed that I should get a receipt from the Albany Police Dpt. showing that they provided me with the locks, and that "the Big 5 has been in the business long enough and knows police departments give out locks."

Catalyst
08-31-2011, 7:49 PM

Just attempted something like this today at a gun shop. They told me that they only accept receipts from vendors :censored:

Do they have to accept a receipt that meets all of the Section 12088.1 requirements?
(e)The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if all of the following apply:

(1)The purchaser or transferee purchases an approved safety device no more than 30 days prior to the day the purchaser or transferee takes possession of the firearm.

(2)The purchaser or transferee presents the approved safety device to the firearms dealer when picking up the firearm.

(3)The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt to the firearms dealer which shows the date of purchase, the name, and the model number of the safety device.

(4)The firearms dealer verifies that the requirements in (1) to (3), inclusive, have been satisfied.

(5)The firearms dealer maintains a copy of the receipt along with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.

BajaJames83
08-31-2011, 7:51 PM
Don't you have a safe.....

Catalyst
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't you have a safe.....

It was a handgun.