PDA

View Full Version : CMMG .22lr Upper (sierra) RANGE REPORT!!!

nrakid88
08-29-2011, 8:13 PM
FINALLY! After months of waiting to get my gear, ammo, and the perfect day... I got out to test my CMMG.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03263.jpg

I was shooting at 50 yards, with a 1-4x Millet DMS. I wanted to find which bulk ammo would print the tightest groups.

The following target is my first of the day, after zeroing the scope on rocks in the back stop, to see where I am on paper with Federal Blue Box 525 round brick. 50 yards, 10 rounds.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03260.jpg

I was pretty happy for my zeroing and the accuracy. So I moved on to comparing the different bulk packs.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03261.jpg

Top left- Fed Blue Box 525
Top Right- Win 555
Center- Rem 550 Golden Bullet
Bottom Left- Fed Auto Match 325
Bottom Right- CCI Mini Mag 100 pack

I was shooting using the millet 1-4x, using a grip pod, and a rear sand bag. It became obvious that A)my gun likes remington golden bullets, and B) I was shooting low and to the left.

I then printed the next group, adjusted my scope, and printed three more, using the Remington golden bullets. Once again, at 50 yards, using a grip pod, and rear bag, with the millet scope. 10 round groups

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03262.jpg

I was pretty happy with the groups... Except I learned that my relation ship with Golden bullets is a love/hate one. Once my gun started getting dirty (which happened fast with the golden bullet), it started jamming frequently. Then, as I was holding my gun sideways, face pointing towards the chamber, and pulled the trigger, I got a case blowout since the bolt was 1/16th of an inch open.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03266.jpg

THANK GOD I was wearing eye protection. I felt it on my face, and the glasses saved my eyes. ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION. The fact that I often had a bolt left barely open, and that I like this accuracy, means I am going to upgrade to the forward assist .22 parts for my cmmg.

Now that I had some fun with the scope at 400 yards trying to nail a pig, which I did a few times. I wanted to see how she did with irons at 50 yards.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/nrakid88/DSC03259.jpg

The top and bottom right targets show my results with 27 round magazines : ) Not too shabby for someone who needs some glasses. (Small note, I took off the shoot n see dot I was aiming at from the lower .22 group, and just put a pen circle to show POA)

The other holes in the target are from my 5.56 bcm, a group at fifty and zeroing at 100 on the lower right, and a 5 shot group at 100 with irons on the lower left.

If your thinking about a CMMG .22 upper, stop, and just buy the damn thing. You will love it.

nrakid88
08-29-2011, 8:15 PM
Oh yeah, and that brass blow out was LOUD! Immediately I thought I had a squib that I shot into or something else that was horrible. Thankfully my gun is A-OKAY

pennys dad
08-29-2011, 8:25 PM
nice upper!

nrakid88
08-29-2011, 8:36 PM
nice upper!

Thank you sir, I am in love with it.

shadow65
08-30-2011, 6:53 AM
I'm suprised it would cycle the Remingtons being new. The bullet profile is just enough different to cause feed problems. And yes, it's extremely dirty.

Your groups will tighten up the more you shoot it.
1.28 with Winchester 555
My M4 LE will shoot 1.2" at 50 yards with CCI Mini Mags.
.807 with Eley EPS

nrakid88
08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm suprised it would cycle the Remingtons being new. The bullet profile is just enough different to cause feed problems. And yes, it's extremely dirty.

Your groups will tighten up the more you shoot it.
1.28 with Winchester 555
My M4 LE will shoot 1.2" at 50 yards with CCI Mini Mags.
.807 with Eley EPS

It isn't exactly new (not in my understanding of the term). I have at least 500 through the bore. I hope it will get more accurate, I guess the rifling can be smoothed out or something like that?

Shadow65, do you know if I can order the Forward assist parts from CMMG, didn't see them seperately available on the site.

And I am sure if I had a better scope, and a less windy day, I could have done better. I was trying to shoot only when the wind slowed down.

shadow65
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
The forward assist is not an add on. The rail is machined for it.
I try to get guys to order it when they order the upper. They almost always want it later.
Dave N

nrakid88
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Eh. No big deal, I am still on the fence so I am not sad to not get it. I kind of don't want to get into the habbit of shoving rounds that don't chamber in, when I have read that its recommended for the 5.56 to just charge the weapon and get a fresh round (since there may be a reason the bolt didn't want to close).

It seems I can run Golden Bullets trouble free for the first hundred or so rounds, which is fine for hunting.

I just need to get some more trigger time with her.

nrakid88
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
And how many rounds should I expect to fire before accuracy stops improving?

nrakid88
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah, and whats the link to the BDM BHOA modification page? I am tired of not being able to slam on my bolt release to charge the gun.

NorCalDustin
08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Eh. No big deal, I am still on the fence so I am not sad to not get it. I kind of don't want to get into the habbit of shoving rounds that don't chamber in, when I have read that its recommended for the 5.56 to just charge the weapon and get a fresh round (since there may be a reason the bolt didn't want to close).

It seems I can run Golden Bullets trouble free for the first hundred or so rounds, which is fine for hunting.

I just need to get some more trigger time with her.
It's more for when you've shot 500+ rounds with the upper and once in awhile rounds dont want to slip in because she needs some cleaning... But, I get you.

shadow65
08-31-2011, 5:24 AM
Never slam or force a .22 round in the chamber. I've used mine when shooting Aguila SSS which had a slight difficulty feeding because of the length. But it didn't have to force it. Just helped it along. It's also for hunters that may want to load quietly.
But truthfully, these were originally designed for L.E. and Military trainers and needed to have the same function as a 5.56. They just caught on with the public quickly.

For the BDM mod, I didn't have much luck. Just wasn't worth it.
The new CMMG 10 round mags are supposed to be released in 1-2 weeks.
Dave N

nrakid88
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Hopefully CMMG will change it's wack policy on sending rebuild kits. I got some old cieners that would love to be reborn into BHOA CMMG mags.

NorCalDustin
08-31-2011, 6:49 PM
Hopefully CMMG will change it's wack policy on sending rebuild kits. I got some old cieners that would love to be reborn into BHOA CMMG mags.You can purchase followers and springs all day long...

Also, Its my understanding that the 2nd Gen mags will be shipped as "Rebuild Kits" Aka "All taken apart".... No matter what state you live in.

nrakid88
08-31-2011, 9:14 PM
You can purchase followers and springs all day long...

Also, Its my understanding that the 2nd Gen mags will be shipped as "Rebuild Kits" Aka "All taken apart".... No matter what state you live in.

Really? That was not the drift I got through emails a generation of magazines ago.

shadow65
09-01-2011, 8:58 AM
We did discuss it but I can't answer what CMMG will do in this regard.
Dave N

NorCalDustin
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/25-Round-22-Evolution-Long-Skin-Mag-1752

If you look it says, "Shipped Unassembled"... So, I dont see why you couldn't...

Anyway... IMHO all .22LR magazines should be shipped as rebuild kits...Mistakes have been made in the past by different companys.

shadow65
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Looks like a plan. We did discuss shipping unassembled for CA.
I explained by CA law in was legal to ship an unassembled mag as a rebuild kit. So maybe the idea is to ship them all unassembled. No violations.
I pushed to get these 10 round mags to the CA guys. Not many options available and these are some really nice mags. I don't know how they kept cost down but when you handle them, you can see and feel the quality.

Dave N

nrakid88
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Note on Magazine Capacity:
Magazines with over 10 round capacity cannot be shipped to residents of CA, HI, MA and NY.
Magazines with over 15 round capacity cannot be shipped to residents of NJ.
Magazines with over 20 round capacity cannot be shipped to residents of MD.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=17

I would love to get these in Cali though. Hopefully they don't have to go third party... they are already about three times as much as a black dog magazine... if I have to pay shipping to third party, service fee, and shipping to me... That will really suck...

NorCalDustin
09-01-2011, 3:26 PM
Looks like a plan. We did discuss shipping unassembled for CA.
I explained by CA law in was legal to ship an unassembled mag as a rebuild kit. So maybe the idea is to ship them all unassembled. No violations.
I pushed to get these 10 round mags to the CA guys. Not many options available and these are some really nice mags. I don't know how they kept cost down but when you handle them, you can see and feel the quality.

Dave N
Yeah... Plus, I think that many people will take them apart right away anyway to put them in the specific config they want... Might as well save the man hours on the cost of assembly & make it a little more convenient for users.

BTW: We do appreciate how hard you've worked to get CMMG products in our hands.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=17

I would love to get these in Cali though. Hopefully they don't have to go third party... they are already about three times as much as a black dog magazine... if I have to pay shipping to third party, service fee, and shipping to me... That will really suck...
Well they aren't really mags if they are unassembled :P ----I do know what you are saying though... But, I dont think it will be an issue getting them.