PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Police Department pats itself on the back re: LTC issuance

Maestro Pistolero
08-29-2011, 5:42 PM
http://www.sdpoa.org/absolutenm/articlefiles/428-August%202011.pdf

(scroll to page 22)

Excerpts:
The sheriff and police chiefs of San Diego County unanimously agreed years ago on a definition of good cause: “...a set of cir- cumstances that distinguish the applicant from the mainstream and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way. Simply fearing for one’s personal safety alone is not considered good cause.”
The committee looked at how other jurisdictions define good cause. Some have lengthy definitions, while others say very little. We did not find any definition that was superior to the one that has been in operation here in San Diego. Also, in our review of actual applications over the past decade, it ap- peared that the definition was applied consistently to all applicants. There was no evidence of favoritism.

As a result of our months of research, we were able to reach some conclusions. First, we determined the sheriff’s depart- ment has a fair and lawful CCW permit process, which follow the law as outlined in the Penal Code. We found that the li- censing staff was trained, knowledgeable, and conscientious about following department procedures and the law.

We recommended that the department clarify any misperception with respect to the status of members of the Honorary Deputy Sheriff’s Association. HDSA membership is irrelevant to the process.

safewaysecurity
08-29-2011, 5:53 PM
Lol. Complete BS.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 6:08 PM
Wait, you mean the police and sherrif examined their own policys and decided that they were satisfied? Awesome! It remains to be seen weather the courts agree... Although they seem to. We need a SCOTUS decsion on this one.

Didnt Heller/Mcdonald lose all the way up to SCOTUS?

safewaysecurity
08-29-2011, 6:13 PM
Don't forget the recent decision out of Puerto Rico which said that a fear for one's personal safety is good cause.

2009_gunner
08-29-2011, 6:18 PM
Summer 2012 can't come soon enough.

Can't wait for them to learn that authority doesn't come from 12050, but is clarified in a slightly more authoritative document.

bcj128
08-29-2011, 6:41 PM
As a 20 year police veteran, I don't have anything to fear from a legally armed civilian. Our system does not prevent crime, it just caters to the fear of those who fear guns...

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 6:51 PM
I am not worried about guns for their own sake, I am worried about who is holding them.

HowardW56
08-29-2011, 6:54 PM
Why don't they just issue a press release that says "WE'RE GOOD, SEE!!!"

voiceofreason
08-29-2011, 7:17 PM
This is as laughable as Arnold opening an investigation into himself on the groping incident while running for governor.

See how well that turned out for the victim?

taperxz
08-29-2011, 7:21 PM
I am sure someone from CGF is copying that article right now. In there own words they basically say, LTC is not a right in San Diego county. Richards will be dynamic in how all this changes what was written in this article. Perhaps after the big win we could send this article back to the Sheriff and editor for review.

Dreaded Claymore
08-29-2011, 7:48 PM
Perhaps after the big win we could send this article back to the Sheriff and editor for review.

With "LOL COPS" scrawled on it with a marker.

Rossi357
08-29-2011, 7:59 PM
I hope they didn't twist their arm too much patting themselves on the back.

The Shadow
08-29-2011, 8:18 PM
Big fracking deal, so they think their policies are constitutional. Why am I not surprised ?

The language in PC Section 12050(a)(1)(A) specifies that California
is a “may issue” state. This means the issuing authority (in San Diego County that is the sheriff) may, based upon his good judgment, grant or deny a CCW permit application. It has long been the policy of the San Diego Sheriff’s Department to approve applications for candidates who meet the statutory
requirements.
The law provides that candidates meet the following criteria to obtain a CCW permit:
• Proof of good moral character
• Proof that good cause exists
• Proof of residency
• Proof of completion of required training

What this means is that even if a person is squeaky clean, they will not get passed the good cause barrier because we can define it anyway we like to keep from issuing a permit to civilians.

First, applicants are interviewed at our Licensing Division. At the interview, the applicant explains why he or she is seeking a CCW permit. Based upon the interview, our staff will provide feedback to the applicant, explaining the process but also letting the applicant know, based upon the information provided, whether it is likely that the applicant’s reasons constitute “good cause.” This feedback is based upon the experience and training of our licensing staff and designed to save the applicant time, effort, and the cost of the application fee, if it appears that the reasons for the application do not constitute good cause.

I love this paragraph. In reality it says, before we hand civilians an application, we discourage them from applying for a CCW, because quite frankly, we don't want them to have one. And if they are stubborn enough to apply anyway, we'll take their money and deny them the CCW anyway.

Finally, if an applicant has been denied a permit, there’s a procedure for an appeal. Appeal hearings are not mandated by law; however, the Sheriff’s Department hears appeals as a matter of good service and transparency. Appeals are heard by assigned command staff personnel.

And if that doesn't discourage them, we will appear compassionate and allow them to appeal their denial to us, and deny it again just so they get the point that we don't care if they really want one, we don't want a mere civilian to have a CCW.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.