PDA

View Full Version : Tin Foil hat time... ACAV, LCAV and Brady people...

sfpcservice
08-29-2011, 4:18 PM
So the ACAV has been around for a couple of days and already has over 300 members who I'm sure have all "liked" the page. This seems to outweigh the likes on the LCAV page... Something doesn't add up. They have been around for far longer and we've surpassed their numbers in days. How is it that our state got so anti-gun if we have a clear majority?

Who is really pulling the strings in this state and why is it so hard for a majority to get it back?

wash
08-29-2011, 4:26 PM
If you get invited to a poker game and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.

I really like using that quote.

But the real reason is that most people are stupid and gun owners are a minority that the liberal democrats can step on without being called racist or class discrimination. The "republicans" see us as a vote that they can't lose no matter how bad they are on guns.

The answer is to be single issue voters for a couple election cycles and become more politically active.

The problem is that it will only work if everyone does it.

G60
08-29-2011, 4:30 PM
I think the link to acav was posted at several national forums.

Also, brady campaign has over 15,000 likes (still a drop in the bucket compared to NRA and other pro gun pages)

There are also a few very very wealthy individuals funding the anti-rights groups. Which gives me other ideas, but I'm at work so I gotta go.

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 4:30 PM
A guy walks into a bar and asks, "any drinkers here?"

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 4:32 PM
I am constantly amazed that anti gun bills dont just sweep the state year after year. It kinda seems like they can do whatever they want up there. The NRA has full time lobbyists in CA (and no where else) and the CRPA and others do what they can, but it seems like when bills dont pass, its because of dem infighting or just that guns are not at the top of the list. If we werent having a budget crisis, I think we be get hit a lot harder.

HowardW56
08-29-2011, 4:38 PM
I am constantly amazed that anti gun bills dont just sweep the state year after year. It kinda seems like they can do whatever they want up there. The NRA has full time lobbyists in CA (and no where else) and the CRPA and others do what they can, but it seems like when bills dont pass, its because of dem infighting or just that guns are not at the top of the list. If we werent having a budget crisis, I think we be get hit a lot harder.

It takes a constant effort to persuade the California legislators...

That and money

Luieburger
08-29-2011, 4:44 PM
How many people are really anti-gun? I would suspect that true anti-gunners are very far and few between. The problem is that they've managed to convince the middle ground that guns are bad. My fiancÚ and the greater majority of her friends would probably have told you that guns should be banned outright if you had asked them a year ago. Not because they are really anti-gun, but because they've been swayed ever so slightly towards the anti-gunner side. If you asked them today (now that I've taken many of them to the range) if they would ban all guns, they would say no.

Hearts and minds folks. Hearts and minds.

ElvenSoul
08-29-2011, 4:45 PM
Record number of Gun Sales the last few years.

sfpcservice
08-29-2011, 5:14 PM
A guy walks into a bar and asks, "any drinkers here?"

A guy walks into a bar and says ouch?

dotalchemy
08-29-2011, 5:16 PM

Dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

sfpcservice
08-29-2011, 6:28 PM

Poor guy!

dantodd
08-29-2011, 7:02 PM

bust have been an Oaklander party.

dantodd
08-29-2011, 7:02 PM
and yes, the typo was intentional.

monk
08-29-2011, 7:04 PM
Many people see gun control as the lesser of two evils, the over evil being guns for everyone. The task at hand is to convince those fence holders to pop on over to the pro-gun side.

mdimeo
08-29-2011, 7:12 PM
How many people are really anti-gun? I would suspect that true anti-gunners are very far and few between.

Lots, maybe even most are "anti-gun" in California. But in terms of activists, single-issue voters, or people who call their congressmen, all evidence suggests that there are very, very few (at least compared to our side).

Steyr_223
08-30-2011, 7:20 AM
Even in uber liberal San Francisco..Remember Prop H in 2005. It was a lot closer then the pundits predicted.

57.79% Yes
42.21% No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Proposition_H_%282005%29

The main sponsors

The measure was placed on the ballot with supporting signatures from Supervisors Tom Ammiano, Chris Daly, Bevan Dufty and Matt Gonzalez.[1]

Supervisor Michela Alioto-Pier initially supported the ordinance but formally withdrew her sponsorship on February 23, 2005.

Groups in opposition

San Francisco Chronicle
San Francisco Examiner
Asian Week
Frontlines
The Argonaut
San Francisco Deputy Sheriff's Association
San Francisco Police Officer's Association
San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association
BART Police Officers SEIU Local 1008
California Association of Highway Patrolmen
Fraternal Order of Police (California State Lodge)
Chinese American Democratic Club
Coalition For SF Neighborhoods
The Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council
Mexican American Political Association
Outer Mission Residents Association
Richmond District Democratic Club
San Francisco Housing Rights Association
San Francisco Pink Pistols

Wherryj
08-30-2011, 8:32 AM
If you get invited to a poker game and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.

I really like using that quote.

But the real reason is that most people are stupid and gun owners are a minority that the liberal democrats can step on without being called racist or class discrimination. The "republicans" see us as a vote that they can't lose no matter how bad they are on guns.

The answer is to be single issue voters for a couple election cycles and become more politically active.

The problem is that it will only work if everyone does it.

I'm not certain that it is even that simple. The issue as I see it is that the politicians who seem to be able to say what the people want to hear (I'll give you free stuff, I love abortion, etc.) tend to also be anti-gun.

The ones that don't seem to say what the majority of voters in the state want to hear (I'll let you keep your own stuff, I hate choice) are the ones that tend to be pro-2A.

Perhaps the party in the state that keeps getting destroyed in elections needs to rethink its platform? At least they might back off on the "choice" thing?

Wherryj
08-30-2011, 8:33 AM

A nun, a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar. The bar tender says, "What is this, some kind of joke?"

socal2310
08-30-2011, 9:40 AM
A nun, a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar. The bar tender says, "What is this, some kind of joke?"

Yawn. I recommend the Joke Thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262367) in OT. Yours has been posted no less than three times (and I'm only on page 14).

Ryan

stix213
08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Loving something is more motivational than hate. The number of vocal individuals on each side active on the internet is not indicative of the overall percentage of supporters/haters statewide.

Mute
08-30-2011, 4:39 PM
The problem is we're outnumbered by people who don't care about guns one way or the other but love supporting politicians who throw them table scraps pulled out of their hard earn tax dollars. That along with the fact that the Republican party in CA is absolutely worthless and we have a state dominated by demagogues and would be dictators.

greasemonkey
08-30-2011, 4:55 PM
So the ACAV has been around for a couple of days and already has over 300 members who I'm sure have all "liked" the page. This seems to outweigh the likes on the LCAV page... Something doesn't add up. They have been around for far longer and we've surpassed their numbers in days. How is it that our state got so anti-gun if we have a clear majority?

Who is really pulling the strings in this state and why is it so hard for a majority to get it back?

Gunnies are a minority in CA, of the people who do own firearms, an alarming number of 'us' have proven to be statist idiots who don't understand that the 'moral regulations' imposed on other areas of life come back to bite all of us in the *** on firearms rights and civil rights in general, there is also an alarming number of "pro gun" voters who really do believe the State/Fed should be able to arbitrarily decide who gets to carry, how and where.

Keep in mind that Calguns is only ~80,000 members, maybe 15,000 of whom are actually active online and of those, not even but a couple hundred of us actually pull away from the keyboard to go volunteer for something going on in our own community that is A. fun and B. restores our rights.

There's not really a mystical 'man behind the curtain' making all of these terrible gun laws, it's more due to the fact that most of us in the firearms community don't get involved.

oni.dori
08-30-2011, 5:26 PM
Poor guy!

Or just maybe the luckiest guy in the room...

wjc
08-30-2011, 9:51 PM
Gunnies are a minority in CA, of the people who do own firearms, an alarming number of 'us' have proven to be statist idiots who don't understand that the 'moral regulations' imposed on other areas of life come back to bite all of us in the *** on firearms rights and civil rights in general, there is also an alarming number of "pro gun" voters who really do believe the State/Fed should be able to arbitrarily decide who gets to carry, how and where.

Keep in mind that Calguns is only ~80,000 members, maybe 15,000 of whom are actually active online and of those, not even but a couple hundred of us actually pull away from the keyboard to go volunteer for something going on in our own community that is A. fun and B. restores our rights.

There's not really a mystical 'man behind the curtain' making all of these terrible gun laws, it's more due to the fact that most of us in the firearms community don't get involved.

yeah, I agree with this and was guilty of it in the past.

No more.

mag360
08-31-2011, 6:01 AM
you know... 1 facebook account called acav and a person who sends an email on it's behalf to some type of anti or pro gun intitiative/council meeting/etc is doing no less than what these joyce spinoffs do. They are so few in numbers compared to us. Good job, I'll keep spreading the word. Just signed up another friend with the NRA :)