PDA

View Full Version : Bush State of the Union - Civilian Reserve

SmokinGun
01-23-2007, 6:10 PM
I just listened to the State of the Union address. I heard Bush mention increasing the military by 92K over the next five years. He also spoke of a "civilian reserve with special skills". He siad it would be in addition to the enlisted reserve troops.

Did anyone else hear this? This sounds interesting...armed militia perhaps?

dondo
01-23-2007, 6:16 PM
I would think...no.

Matt C
01-23-2007, 6:25 PM
It means that the IRR is now the Active Reserve. Old news.

DedEye
01-24-2007, 1:04 AM
Reminded me of the California Military Reserve previously discussed on the forum.

Sounds like a replacement for the National Guard so that the National Guard can be deployed more :rolleyes:.

DesertShooter
01-24-2007, 5:14 AM
It will be interesting to find out exactly what he has planned. Shortly after 9-11-01, I was very optimistic about a "home guard" program, as was the case in WW-II Great Britain, but my optimism faded when they established the "Homeland Security Branch". My optimism vanished when they sent UNARMED National Guard troops to the border!

Of course, we could always have a slingshot war with the Tijuana Police!

Aluisious
01-24-2007, 6:46 AM
I just listened to the State of the Union address. I heard Bush mention increasing the military by 92K over the next five years. He also spoke of a "civilian reserve with special skills". He siad it would be in addition to the enlisted reserve troops.

It means no matter what you sign up for when you enlist, you're signing up for 8 years if the President feels like it, more than that even if he still feels like it.

The IRR is fun, I only found about it the day they swore me in.

edwardm
01-24-2007, 6:46 AM
Sounds more like an "inform on your neighbor" program. I'll have none of that, thank you.

Forestboy
01-24-2007, 6:56 AM

Not armed militia. More of a group of people that can come in when the area is secure and rebuild. Carpenters, Electricians, Masons, Engineers, Iron workers, Doctors, Nurses, Etc. They rebuild/repair what we(Marines) destroy. At least thats how I took it.

rod
01-24-2007, 8:08 AM
I think it's different than the active reserves and inactive reserves. The civilian reserves would be something like government contractors. If you know how to cook, you might go overseas and cook in a mess tent so that an extra soldier can go out on patrol. I'm hoping they can use an old navigator to drive a boat somewhere.

AJAX22
01-24-2007, 8:29 AM
I agree that it probably refers to civilian contractors asuming rolls previously held by military forces.

Two years ago (before my motorcycle accident) I was in line for a job guarding a radar instilation at Ft. Hunter Ligget (sp?) near camp roberts, Three days a week, 12 hour shifts bonus for working nights and weekends + overtime and full government health benifits. AND they issue you a 9mm a 12 gauge and they certify you to handle the M16. oh and they provide a 4x4 for patrol.

The job used to be a military position, but they hired out to civilians so that they could free up more troops to deploy overseas. Its an end run around admiting that they are requiring more personell to fight than they currently have.

You guys can check out other jobs like it, just do a search for 'Civilian Personel Online' they give preference to ex military when hiring. and they have jobs all over the state.

gn3hz3ku1*
01-24-2007, 9:46 AM
i would volunteer to do something for this country, i know i have special skills that can help.... just want the opportunity to quit when ever i feel like it! IE no reserves- 2 weeks a year ha!

1911_sfca
01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Not armed militia. More of a group of people that can come in when the area is secure and rebuild. Carpenters, Electricians, Masons, Engineers, Iron workers, Doctors, Nurses, Etc. They rebuild/repair what we(Marines) destroy. At least thats how I took it.

That sounds good. Maybe we can evacuate some of our dilapidated cities, you guys can bomb the hell out of them, and then these guys can come in and build something nice.

Oh, wait. I guess we have to spend another couple trillion bucks to go do that to middle eastern countries instead. Never mind.

brando
01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I suspect this would look like a bunch of Joes on the first day of BRM.

jfcosgrove3
01-24-2007, 3:53 PM
The civillians may consist of law enforcement officers with certain amount of experience.

SmokinGun
01-24-2007, 6:15 PM
It means that the IRR is now the Active Reserve. Old news.

Blackwater is probably correct in reading the info on "Individual Ready Reserve", (IRR) it sounds very much like what Bush was talking about.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/usar-irr.htm

Crap...I thought they were going to hand out M16's to qualified civilians, so we could hold down the fort (and the border) while the reservists are deployed abroad. Oh well...it was a nice thought!:rolleyes:

otalps
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I wonder if he'll vote against it again:rolleyes:

11Z50
01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
..."just want the opportunity to quit when ever i feel like it!"

Well, boy-o, FYI that's part of serving your country. You don't get to quit when you feel like it. You serve your country, and sacrifice for the greater good. That's why you get VA benefits if you survive. If you were allowed to quit when you feel like it, there would never have been a flag raised on Iwo Jima.

Cheers,
11Z