PDA

View Full Version : legal to carry rifle in trunk?

maxit
08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
hi, I first searched the threads to no avail, so here's my ?

I bought my first ever rifle. I need to transport it. What do I do?
lock? case? put in trunk with action open?

much obliged,

Max
in So. Cal

joefreas
08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Unloaded. It is legal to transport it inside the car or trunk so long as it is unloaded. My advise would be to put it in the trunk.

Untamed1972
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
The best option all around to cover you for all legalities is unloaded and in a locked case.

The locked case isnt required in certain circumstances but in others it might be.

So if it's always in a locked case during transport it eliminates the need to have worry or research all other possible issues, exceptions and techincalities.

Plus locked cases are great for keeping prying LEO eyes and hands out too!

notme92069
08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
At the next gun show stop by the Calguns booth and buy some gun case tags that tell the authorities that the case is locked and you do not consent to a search. I put them on all my gun and ammo cases.

maxit
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Joe, and friends,
Thanks, unloaded in truck. Finished!
If I run across a rifle case that locks I will add that to my collection. But dont count on it as I am gearing up for the Project Appleseed and have already had to buy 1,000 rounds, a gun sling or two, three mags for one gun and maybe more for the other. Yet to pay range fees, lunch, yata.
Anyway,
Much obliged,

Max

lgm118icbm
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Remember not to drive on or through a college campus. Many of them are big and have university owned roads that run through them.

Untamed1972
08-29-2011, 1:07 PM
Joe, and friends,
Thanks, unloaded in truck. Finished!
If I run across a rifle case that locks I will add that to my collection. But dont count on it as I am gearing up for the Project Appleseed and have already had to buy 1,000 rounds, a gun sling or two, three mags for one gun and maybe more for the other. Yet to pay range fees, lunch, yata.
Anyway,
Much obliged,

Max

A soft-sided case with zipper-pulls you can lock together with a luggage lock counts as a locked container. You can pick up soft-sided cases for $20-25, and a cheap luggage lock for $2-3 at Walmart, or even the 99cent store.

American Insurgent
08-29-2011, 1:07 PM
At the next gun show stop by the Calguns booth and buy some gun case tags that tell the authorities that the case is locked and you do not consent to a search. I put them on all my gun and ammo cases.
I've always wanted some of those. Anyway I can buy them online???

stix213
08-29-2011, 1:22 PM
Locked case is required when passing within 1000' of a K-12 school property line, per the federal gun free school zone ridiculousness. The state version of the law (the more likely one to be enforced locally) only stipulates handguns.

You can also be full of awesome and get a locking gun rack, which satisfies the federal gun free school zone law.

Also, don't bring your rifle onto post office property, including the parking lot.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-29-2011, 1:53 PM
As long as you don't drive through school zones, you can have it sitting next to you in the front seat, with cartridges rolling around on the floorboard, if you want to. :D Not always the brightest course of action, but still legal. Just tossing it in the trunk is fine though, as that counts as a locked container. Just make sure that it is unloaded.

-Mb

chuckdc
08-29-2011, 2:03 PM
I'd case it before putting it in the trunk, but not for legal reasons. I'd do it to keep the rifle from getting all beat up by bouncing around in the trunk. Not to mention keeping trunk dirt and carpet fuzz, etc from getting in the barrel, action and other parts.

Ubermcoupe
08-29-2011, 3:35 PM
I've always wanted some of those. Anyway I can buy them online???

Here: :D
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=430892

strangerdude
08-29-2011, 3:42 PM
Since it's related to the op's question I will ask my own. Can I carry a loaded pistol in a portable biometric safe in my car? Preferably under the drivers seat.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 3:53 PM
Since it's related to the op's question I will ask my own. Can I carry a loaded pistol in a portable biometric safe in my car? Preferably under the drivers seat.

If your going to conceal, it must be unloaded and locked (unless you have a permit). Open carry, still unloaded.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

Here's a big source of FUD cleared up for free:

So long as the handgun is itself unloaded, ammunition in the same container does not make the handgun loaded.

Some gun owners may be more comfortable transporting ammunition in a separate container, or a separate compartment of the locked container, but this is not required by current law.

-From Calguns Wiki

strangerdude
08-29-2011, 3:58 PM
Looks like I need to go get me mini gun vault, thank you sir.

Shoot-it
08-29-2011, 4:00 PM
Long rifle in the front seat going down I5 to our hunting grounds perfectly legal.I always put mine under the back seat in my truck.

Kid Stanislaus
08-29-2011, 4:03 PM
As long as you don't drive through school zones, you can have it sitting next to you in the front seat, with cartridges rolling around on the floorboard, if you want to. -Mb

Its ALMOST impossible to not drive through a school zone in CA, even out in the country there are those little country schools.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 4:03 PM
I have the same plan. G19 in vault underseat/ loaded mag adjacent...

Might even bolt the damn thing down. Of course you hear people making arguments that if you bolt it down, it becomes a "utility compartment" which is specifically prohibited... At least I think that is the argument. Thats an "acceptable personal risk" call. Check out threads on LUCC, "Locked Unloaded Conealed Carry."

Kid Stanislaus
08-29-2011, 4:04 PM

Not w/out an LTC.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 4:05 PM
Isnt their an exemption to the school zone if you are transporting? Long guns dont apply to CA school zone laws anyway, only Federal. Has anyone ever been prosacuted under the Federal law?

strangerdude
08-29-2011, 4:08 PM
Okay thanks. I only have one handgun that was given to me by my dad and I don't want to risk it being stolen so when I get my glock17 that what will be in my car. How about a cable lock that secures the safe? I don't think that would be considered a utility compartment.

Kid Stanislaus
Isnt their an exemption to the school zone if you are transporting? Long guns dont apply to CA school zone laws anyway, only Federal. Has anyone ever been prosacuted under the Federal law?

Chances are if there is a prohibitary law on the books then somebody, somewhere has been charged with its violation. ;)

strangerdude
Ltc???????

BajaJames83
08-29-2011, 4:10 PM
Unloaded in the trunk would be fine, locked case wouldn't hurt

awall919
08-29-2011, 4:11 PM
I believe that a vehicles trunk, so long as the firearm is unloaded is applicable as a locked container under PC12026.1:

12026.1(1) The firearm is within a motoe vehicle and it is locked in the vehicles trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the glove compartment.
(c): as used in this section a "locked container" means a secure container container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combo or similar locking device.

As long as its unloaded your good to go.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 4:11 PM
CCW, now known as LTC. There's a reason for this, I dont know what it is yet. There's a thread out there somewhere.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 4:15 PM
Okay thanks. I only have one handgun that was given to me by my dad and I don't want to risk it being stolen so when I get my glock17 that what will be in my car. How about a cable lock that secures the safe? I don't think that would be considered a utility compartment.

If I had unattended gun in a car, which most people warn against in the first place, I think more guns are stolen out of cars than anywhere else, or maybe that's LE guns, I dont remember, my cousin told me that when he came back from FBI basic training or whatever they call it, ahem...

anyway, if its not secured, I would secure it. It seems like common sense, but never count on doing the right thing being legal in CA and no good deed goes unpunished.

I am sure someone who knows better will chime in.