PDA

View Full Version : something in the water...LA City Atty Carmen Trutanich has moved to the dark side...

bwiese
08-28-2011, 9:52 PM
Y'all might remember Carmen Trutanich, who was NRA/CRPA attorney Chuck Michel's old law partner....

Trutanich ran for, and won, 2009 LA City Attorney election - against the odious and notorious antigunner Jack Weiss. The law firm after his departure changed its name from Trutanich-Michel to today's Michel & Associates.

While Trutanich himself didn't handle gunrights litigation, when gunnies heard the news he was running for election, we were all hopeful that his past exposure to gunrights issues and litigation in Chuck's office would make the Nuch at least someone that any gun rights litigator could talk to rationally -- something precious in the antigun LA political environment of today.

Unfortunately there must be something in the LA water supply - as time has progressed since 2009, "Nuch" as LA City attorney has gone off the deep end on gun matters - beginning with past support of AB962 drama and onwards. Seems he's becoming buddy-buddy with Kevin deLeon etc. and may want eventual higher office - and Nuch thinks jumping from what was regarded as somewhat neutral to full anti will somehow serve him.

We should now regard Carmen Trutanich as completely and firmly antigun, regardless of past work environment. If you're getting strings pulled by de Leon, it's pretty hard to say you're the tiniest bit pro-gun.

[Note that Kevin deLeon likes his guns - he's actually a trap/skeet shooter and has a fairly nice shotgun or two...]

The best that can be said for the situation is that Trutanich can't be any worse than Jack Weiss.

rkt88edmo
08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
sad

HK4113
08-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bob7122
08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
sad

yep:(

Maestro Pistolero
08-28-2011, 10:10 PM
No one who truly 'gets' the importance of 2A rights could ever be 'converted'. If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, he's a never-was, wanna-be, impostor.

Disgusting.

radioburning
08-28-2011, 10:11 PM
bummer:confused:

G60
08-28-2011, 10:15 PM
[Note that Kevin deLeon likes his guns -]

indeed.

GW
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
That's just disappointing

mag360
08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
has anyone asked chuck what he thinks?

AndrewMendez
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Sad sad sad. Kevin De Leon is in a very well protected Democratic area.

wildhawker
08-28-2011, 10:59 PM

rkt88edmo
08-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I think it is more likely just "go along to get along" all politics.

monk
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
I work in hospitals with ties to the Catholic church. Nuns founded the organization that owns the hospitals. You think everyone who works for the hospitals are Catholic? Unless someone can prove that this man was pro-gun before he got elected, you can't really expect anything else.

wash
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
This does not surprise me, Nuch was the lead defense attorney for USC "student athletes" when they inevitably screw up.

You can't wade in slime for that long without it rubbing off on you.

I was always troubled with Chuck's association with Nuch.

bubbagump
08-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Politics man...f***ing politics...

huntercf
08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a MOLE. I don't understand de Leon, he owns guns but is one of the biggest anti's in sac right now. I think there should be a law that if any politician says they are introducing/supporting a law that infringes/bans our 2A rights in the name of public safety then they immediately give up any protection they are currently entitled to, it just makes sense because they get on their soap box and say these laws will protect us.

stitchnicklas
08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
proof of my family's ban on entering L.A. or spending any money with business' there.

i hate l.a. i would sooner spray paint my guns bright yellow then step a foot in that city..

Monte
08-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, that's a helluva disappointment.

jdberger
08-29-2011, 12:30 AM
I agree with this. Maybe, I wonder, we got sold down the river of the NRA good ol' boy network.

-Brandon

Perhaps. NRA folks weren't going to vote for Jack Weiss anyway. Maybe they (we) were projecting, assuming that since Trutanich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_P%C3%A9tain) had the close association with the NRA's attorney in California he'd at least have been exposed to the light of the civil rights movement.

I'm just as likely to assume that Carmen Trutanich's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold)exposure to big money electoral politics has awakened a long suppressed avarice for power - and he sees de Leon as his vehicle to achieve that.

Governor de Leon?
AG Trutanich? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Iscariot)
Politics is a game where you're always looking at the horizon. I'd be suprised if he hasn't considered it.

Anchors
08-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Way to go Benedict Arnold.

He probably made enough money off gun rights cases (albeit indirectly).
I wonder if his constituents know or care about that.

Whatever, he's on the dbag list in my book.

ETA (to JDBerger):
Dude with that AG and governor combo, we might as well give up.

Connor P Price
08-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Don't bother wasting your energy spitting on the ground he walks on. Trutanich has shown his colors, he doesn't care about you, your safety, or the safety of your family and friends. He'd rather see you victimized without the means to defend yourself than see his political career suffer even the slightest hiccup. Place his name in the same file as De Leon, Portantino, Boxer, Pelosi, McCarthy, Obama, Holder, etc.

stix213
08-29-2011, 12:53 AM
To some people personal gain is more important than the well being, or even lives, of others. You see that with Gadhafi in Libya, and to a lesser extent here.

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 12:55 AM

2Bear
08-29-2011, 1:02 AM
I think it is more likely just "go along to get along" all politics.

I suspect it's future campaign dollars.

Matt C
08-29-2011, 1:14 AM
What exactly has he done? Other than defending things he has an obligation to defend like them or not? What exactly does it mean that "he's becoming buddy-buddy with Kevin deLeon"? I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon without something more than rumor and vague innuendo.

Sutcliffe
08-29-2011, 6:28 AM
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It will make you do things you know are offensive to achieve your goals.

SanPedroShooter
08-29-2011, 6:30 AM
Perhaps. NRA folks weren't going to vote for Jack Weiss anyway. Maybe they (we) were projecting, assuming that since Trutanich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_P%C3%A9tain) had the close association with the NRA's attorney in California he'd at least have been exposed to the light of the civil rights movement.

I'm just as likely to assume that Carmen Trutanich's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold)exposure to big money electoral politics has awakened a long suppressed avarice for power - and he sees de Leon as his vehicle to achieve that.

Governor de Leon?
AG Trutanich? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Iscariot)
Politics is a game where you're always looking at the horizon. I'd be suprised if he hasn't considered it.

I voted (and my wife, and anyone else I convinced) for him strictly on his association with Chuck Michel and the word from the top that this was the right thing to do.

He has an office about a block from my house here in Pedro, and a bunch of family and business concerns all over town. You want I should egg his windows?

hawk1
08-29-2011, 7:25 AM
I agree with this. Maybe, I wonder, we got sold down the river of the NRA good ol' boy network.

-Brandon

And bweise and YOU didn't see it either. Why put his change, if there is one, off on the NRA? :confused:

I'm sure he has. And [especially] because of that, I'm doubly disappointed that the legislative/political "gurus" at NRA didn't see it also, especially considering he was partner at their retained law firm for years.

-Brandon

For example, I and many others saw what BC did with Gpal. Using your thought process, should we NOW question CGF and their "good ol boy network"...:rolleyes:

You and your thinking is completely out of line...

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 7:34 AM

hawk1
08-29-2011, 7:53 AM
As a matter of necessity, sometimes you have to trust what those closer to the issues say. To the extent that others relied on me for a temperature of Trutanich, I'm absolutely sorry for it.

Yet you find no problem dumping on the NRA?

For example, I and many others saw what BC did with Gpal. Using your thought process, should we NOW question CGF and their "good ol boy network"...

Firstly, this isn't even a cogent thought, let alone an argument.

That was an example, not an argument, it's the same as what you accuse the NRA of doing above.

Secondly, I don't expect anyone to trust me or others without question or reservation. In fact, I encourage you to seek other sources of information. Sometimes there won't be any, and sometimes we'll be wrong.

Finally, those who follow my posts, or have engaged me offline, know very well my own position with respect to Cannon and GPal. If you think it's out of line, then please take it up with me in a more appropriate venue (vs. threadjacking this discussion).

-Brandon

I used BC and that situation as an example. I neither want nor care about your position with him and HIS company.
You really shouldn't be so quick to throw them (the NRA) under the bus. Is Chuck Michel next? After all he worked in the same practice...:confused:

CavTrooper
08-29-2011, 8:14 AM
IMO this shows how little weight the "pro 2A" crowd holds in LoCal politics. That Mr. T can so easily dismiss a block of almost guaranteed votes is very telling about where we stand in the grand scheme of things

Steyr_223
08-29-2011, 8:16 AM
hmmm..Noted..

scarville
08-29-2011, 8:33 AM
You want I should egg his windows?
The Window War (http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2009/02/back-by-semi-popular-demand-window-war.html) :eek:

Is anyone really surprised at a politician acting like a politician? http://fc06.deviantart.net/images/i/2003/45/1/6/Backstab_emoticon.gif

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 8:34 AM

bwiese
08-29-2011, 8:44 AM
I'm sure he has. And [especially] because of that, I'm doubly disappointed that the legislative/political "gurus" at NRA didn't see it also, especially considering he was partner at their retained law firm for years.

This was already understood that he was "not a gunnie".

Understand he worked on the non-gun side of that law firm and there was money flow from that side (you make more on enviro law, etc. than you do on gun law and gun law firms in CA have thriving non-gun practices that help boost the gun law side).

Nevertheless it was indeed thought that some future mere rationality by Nuch - i.e, able to be across table from him and discuss an issue without handwaving - would at least offer an element of usefulness.

bwiese
08-29-2011, 8:49 AM
And bweise and YOU didn't see it either. Why put his change, if there is one, off on the NRA? :confused:

Please, breathe deeply....

1. None of my posts above indicate this was an NRA fault or fault with Chuck Michel. I don't at all see how this could be remotely
be inferrable. My post(s) were an attack on Trutanich going to the dark side after apparent neutrality. How someone changes
after you have no control over them is somewhat random.

2. I didn't see it either. I actually have spoken to him back in 2009. Seemed nice enough and rational enough at the time, and
someone that could be talked with about gun issues with some measure of practical dispassion.

We all knew he wasn't a gunnie, but again the hope was that having a rational person that had worked alongside a gun lawyer
would at least subtract out a lot of the hysterics from the issue and he was gonna be mounds better than the odious Jack Weiss.

OleCuss
08-29-2011, 8:49 AM
I don't really see this as a reflection on the NRA. We got rid of a known anti-liberty person and got a person whose real position really wasn't known.

And do understand that DeLeon really isn't being two-faced. He seems to view a firearm as a luxury sporting item rather than as something which we all should be able to have for defense of our person and of our community and state.

I'm kind of the opposite of DeLeon - I find that I really don't like firearms or shooting all that much. But I firmly believe that we all have a right and duty to defend ourselves and those around us and thus oppose just about everything DeLeon does. I believe it enough to have a carry license and a number of firearms - and membership in a gun club.

hawk1
08-29-2011, 8:50 AM
I have perfectly valid and supportable points of contention with NRA. That's as far as I'm willing to speak to them at this time.

I'm not sure why you say I'm "quick to throw them (the NRA) under the bus"; you assume (wrongly) that this thread encompasses all of the data I use to form my opinion and beliefs. Maybe you're being a bit quick to "throw [me] under the bus"?

-Brandon

Then a suggestion would be to hold your remarks until you can back them up. We have way too many uninformed NRA members jumping ship for things as asinine as "too much junk mail" or "legislative scare tactics" to overcome. To add your unsubstantiated claims doesn't help nor is needed.
Besides, IF his 'anti' agenda is now true, then I would say that speaks more to his future aspirations than his past.

bwiese
08-29-2011, 8:54 AM
Besides, IF his 'anti' agenda is now true, then I would say that speaks more to his future aspirations than his past.

Absolutely!
His past when working at the law firm did not involve any antigun work.

There also could be him thinking he somehow has to 'atone for his past' to move further in LA-driven politics.

I don't really see this as a reflection on the NRA. We got rid of a known anti-liberty person and got a person whose
real position really wasn't known.

Absolutely.

hawk1
08-29-2011, 8:59 AM
Please, breathe deeply....

1. None of my posts above indicate this was an NRA fault or fault with Chuck Michel. I don't at all see how this could be remotely
be inferrable. My post(s) were an attack on Trutanich going to the dark side after apparent neutrality. How someone changes
after you have no control over them is somewhat random.

2. I didn't see it either. I actually have spoken to him back in 2009. Seemed nice enough and rational enough.

We all knew he wasn't a gunnie, but again the hope was that having a rational person that had worked alongside a gun lawyer
would at least subtract out a lot of the hysterics from the issue and he was gonna be mounds better than the odious Jack Weiss.

My bad for including you in this as I did. Having read your follow up posts I now see his past work at that firm wasn't in "gun" areas.
My :confused: still stands as to why Brandon tossed the NRA overboard so quickly for his actions now?

tenpercentfirearms
08-29-2011, 9:01 AM
has anyone asked chuck what he thinks?

Chuck isn't going to openly talk about his ex-partner online. However, that doesn't mean that Chuck's opinion isn't being made known in this thread.

I think the moral of the story is Trutanich is no longer our ally. If you hear his name and think he is legit because of his PAST relationship with Chuck Michel, no loner assume that. Evaluate Truratnich on the same standards you would evaluate any other elected official. What is he getting done and how is his track record.

He isn't my elected official so I am not paying a ton of attention to him. However, if you live in his area, you might want to keep a close eye on him and report back if there is something the Calguns community needs to know about. Again, do not assume he is one of us. Many CRPA board members are warning you about this. FYI.

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 9:10 AM

G60
08-29-2011, 9:16 AM
My :confused: still stands as to why Brandon tossed the NRA overboard so quickly for his actions now?
I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just junk mail, and probably a lot is going on behind the scenes. If Brandon feels discontent towards the organization, I trust there's a very good reason.

Norsemen308
08-29-2011, 9:39 AM
there's nothing bad in the water, its all about money... sad that a good person sold his soul for a seat in a government building

Maestro Pistolero
08-29-2011, 9:42 AM
What exactly has he done? Other than defending things he has an obligation to defend like them or not? What exactly does it mean that "he's becoming buddy-buddy with Kevin deLeon"? I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon without something more than rumor and vague innuendo.

I would like to know this as well.

mag360
08-29-2011, 9:50 AM
Chuck isn't going to openly talk about his ex-partner online. However, that doesn't mean that Chuck's opinion isn't being made known in this thread.

I think the moral of the story is Trutanich is no longer our ally. If you hear his name and think he is legit because of his PAST relationship with Chuck Michel, no loner assume that. Evaluate Truratnich on the same standards you would evaluate any other elected official. What is he getting done and how is his track record.

He isn't my elected official so I am not paying a ton of attention to him. However, if you live in his area, you might want to keep a close eye on him and report back if there is something the Calguns community needs to know about. Again, do not assume he is one of us. Many CRPA board members are warning you about this. FYI.

I catch your drift.

CalBear
08-29-2011, 9:58 AM
The problem is for some reason the Dems in this state seem to care more about gun control that the ones in other states. It's probably that they've been in control of the legislature for so long now. With a few notable exceptions (eg Rod Wright), the D's in this state are not friendly, and I suspect many fall into line to not ruffle feathers in their party and among their constituents.

Scarecrow Repair
08-29-2011, 10:13 AM

And why are YOU so quick to toss Brandon overboard?

yellowfin
08-29-2011, 10:13 AM
This is a prime example of why I don't give money to people running to public office: once they take your money and get in, they don't need you anymore. It's like rock stars with groupies and frat boys with sorority chicks --say what needs to be heard to get the clothes off, then the next day they don't know you. They keep doing it because it keeps working.

Uxi
08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Either he has no principles at all and is just collecting a check for whoever will pay or he's been anti-gun all along

eltee
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Even though he did not work directly on any of the 2A / firearms cases handled by the firm, is there any concern that he may have gleaned intel, tactics, research, etc. on those types of cases which can be used against the pro-gun movement in the future?

Coolguy101
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm curios to get input from Jason Davis on this, since he worked with Trutanich and Chuck at their law firm.

hawk1
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
And why are YOU so quick to toss Brandon overboard?

Why not ask him why. He deleted his words, not me...

Now, if you want an answer as to why I did, I believe he didn't think through what he wrote prior to hitting the submit button? And he needs to. He may have his reasons to dump on the NRA, but in this issue, I don't see any. If he feels he does then he can back them up with his reasons why. When pressed he wrote, "That's as far as I'm willing to speak to them at this time."...

So I can only guess that he used it as an opportunity to dump on them and that is all.
It's not good practice to trust without reason.

vantec08
08-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Either he has no principles at all and is just collecting a check for whoever will pay or he's been anti-gun all along

You and yellowfin have it spot on. Knowing what we know, take a real wild guess at how we would fare in a major CA disaster as pertains to the 2nd.

wildhawker
08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I deleted them as a favor and by request. I'm done arguing with you here.

-Brandon

Why not ask him why. He deleted his words, not me...

Now, if you want an answer as to why I did, I believe he didn't think through what he wrote prior to hitting the submit button? And he needs to. He may have his reasons to dump on the NRA, but in this issue, I don't see any. If he feels he does then he can back them up with his reasons why. When pressed he wrote, "That's as far as I'm willing to speak to them at this time."...

So I can only guess that he used it as an opportunity to dump on them and that is all.
It's not good practice to trust without reason.

bwiese
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Even though he did not work directly on any of the 2A / firearms cases handled by the firm, is there any concern that he may have gleaned intel, tactics, research, etc. on those types of cases which can be used against the pro-gun movement in the future?

No. That wasn't his gig - it's not a'mole' situation.

We just have someone that has moved 'way far off the reservation' despite some mild expectations of some "okay-ness".

He's still not as bad as Weiss - who had this as a focus - and is not driving legislation but he likes flashbulbs and if deLeon & co. run new bad gun laws he will be making favorable comments.

curtisfong
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I thought the whole role of a city attorney was to just do what you are told to do - manipulate the law into making it appear to say whatever your employers say they want it to say.

rp55
08-29-2011, 10:41 AM
On the other hand, this little drama illustrates perfectly why the RKBA will never be helped by elected politics in CA. If anything, the new legislative redistricting will make things worse. The Federal Courts are out only hope.

hawk1
08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I deleted them as a favor and by request. I'm done arguing with you here.

-Brandon

First I'm not "arguing" with anyone here, including you. If you are then please don't reply. That's not what this is about.

wash
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
This confirms a lot of beliefs I hold.

I just read an article about how Nuch and DeLeon have legislation drafted to allow California to prosecute sports agents for interfering with amateur collegiate sports. I'm sure it has a USC loophole.

This all relates to the university of spoiled children. Their "student athletes" have been quoted saying "we own the police", an idea probably given to them by Nuch.

When he couldn't do enough just defending them in their criminal cases, he ran for city attorney and now he's cozying up to DeLeon. He's your California ruling class if you let him be. He wants to own the police, own the district attorneys and pull the strings of the legislature too.

He is scum with a Bar card and friends in high places.

bwiese
08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm curios to get input from Jason Davis on this, since he worked with Trutanich and Chuck at their law firm.

I believe Jason now thinks similarly, though we did not specifically talk about it this weekend

Nuch hanging out doing boosterism for AB962 was the start of the fall.

Librarian
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Enough said.