PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I didn't know this: No Gen 4 Glocks in CA?

Maestro Pistolero
08-28-2011, 7:47 PM
Being in Nevada, it has escaped me until now that the CA roster has succeeded in making all new Gen 4 Glocks unavailable in CA. The creeping gun ban is really working isn't it? It's unthinkable that one of the most commonly used firearms in the world is now effectively banned in a US state.

voiceofreason
08-28-2011, 7:55 PM
Death by 1,000 cuts or death by 1 cut severing the femoral artery...

you're still dead.

bulgron
08-28-2011, 8:05 PM
The can be brought in by tap dancing around the law using the single-shot exemption.

2009_gunner
08-28-2011, 8:09 PM
I didn't know that either... Gawd. Go Peņa (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid).

I plan on getting a G26 to complement my J-frame once San Diego folds. I was planning on it being Gen4.

bwiese
08-28-2011, 8:18 PM
Gen4 Glocks are becoming more common in CA via the single-shot exemption.

I myself have a Gen4 G23.

Apocalypsenerd
08-28-2011, 8:27 PM
I thought there was litigation against the roster, or have we not won enough cases yet?

DannyInSoCal
08-28-2011, 8:36 PM
From what I've read - I'll stick to Gen 3's anyway....

Maestro Pistolero
08-28-2011, 9:05 PM
Why, again is Pena stayed? So many cases now . . . .

stix213
08-28-2011, 9:06 PM
They are unsafe. Why would you ever want an unsafe firearm?

(channeling the DOJ response)

Lostsheep
08-28-2011, 9:11 PM
New gen 4 g19 owner here, thanks Valkyrie Arms!

d_c_mar
08-28-2011, 9:14 PM
I think it stems from the fact that all newly introduced weapons need to have a magazine disconnector. I would imagine Glock said "Go pack sand". I would if I were them. The bigger problem is that while they were running like mad to fill the pipeline with Gen 4s, it seemed that the CA supply of Gen 3s dried up a little. I was looking for a short frame 45, and I couldn't find one readily. I chose the XD in 45, and I really love the gun.

Crom
08-28-2011, 9:16 PM
Single shot exemption is working, but adds an additional cost. Pena is active in litigation as far as I know.

moleculo
08-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Single shot exemption is a nice work-around, but it's not practical for 80% of California. For example, while there are a few shops in the bay area doing these, there are NO shops right now doing this in the L.A. area.

There's a fortune to be made in SoCal if there are any qualified FFL's paying attention.

ojisan
08-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Someday Glock will start making the new Gen 5 and there will be no more Gen 3 made.
Then there will be no more new Glocks for CA.
Unless the Roster dies, Glocks could someday, not so far away, become collectables here in CA.

Moleculo is right, someone in the L.A. area needs to start doing single shots.
(The gun sales guy in that small place next to the reloading store at ASR will do 1911s but that's it that I know of.)

Wherryj
08-29-2011, 9:14 AM
Death by 1,000 cuts or death by 1 cut severing the femoral artery...

you're still dead.

Yes, but the PRK really enjoys inflicting the other 999 first.

mrdd
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
There is actually a good reason for Glock to resist the addition of a magazine disconnect. Field stripping the gun then requires pulling the trigger with a magazine inserted. So the instructions to disassemble will become:

1) Remove the magazine
2) Rack the slide and inspect the chamber for empty
3) Reinsert mag; Don't cycle the slide!
4) Pull the trigger

This goes against common sense safety procedures.

cadurand
08-29-2011, 1:10 PM
There is actually a good reason for Glock to resist the addition of a magazine disconnect. Field stripping the gun then requires pulling the trigger with a magazine inserted. So the instructions to disassemble will become:

1) Remove the magazine
4) Pull the trigger

This goes against common sense safety procedures.The mag does not need to be in the weapon to do this.

mrdd
08-29-2011, 1:32 PM
The mag does not need to be in the weapon to do this.

If they added a mag disconnect it would!

gunn
08-29-2011, 1:33 PM

1) Remove the magazine
4) Pull the trigger

This goes against common sense safety procedures.

This sounds very similar to the Ruger mKIII I own. After years of being conditioned about never having a live round or magazine around when I'm disassembling guns, It drove me nuts the first time I took apart a MKIII when I realized what was preventing my hammer from completely decocking.

-g

Bhobbs
08-29-2011, 1:34 PM
The mag does not need to be in the weapon to do this.

It will if there is a mag disconnect.

Tweaksalot
09-07-2011, 1:20 AM
buy my gen4 g19 from me! i have too many and dont need this one too!

curtisfong
09-07-2011, 9:51 AM
Single shot exemption is a nice work-around, but it's not practical for 80% of California. For example, while there are a few shops in the bay area doing these, there are NO shops right now doing this in the L.A. area.

There's a fortune to be made in SoCal if there are any qualified FFL's paying attention.

ebrworks.com

Maestro Pistolero
09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Nice discussion of work-arounds. My meter's stick stuck on outrage, however.