PDA

View Full Version : R.A.W. DOJ approved gun case ??

baih777
08-28-2011, 9:05 AM
Do i need a DOJ approved gun case to take my RAW to the range?
I asked at the local gun stores and they say only a locked hard case but i thought i read somewhere it had to be DOJ approved. DO some gun cases have a special label ?
sorry, i have been away from guns since the ban started. just wanna get back and shoot again.:37:
any links for the law would help. search and google just are not directing me the right way.

G-forceJunkie
08-28-2011, 9:25 AM
The DOJ does not approve any cases. The law just something to the effect of a "secure locked container." Use your best judgement, but a hard side case with some sort of locks is fine. Soft side cases are fine as long as you can lock the zippers together.

WDE91
08-28-2011, 9:35 AM
I believe DOJ only approves gun locks and safes
I would do as suggested above

Oceanbob
08-28-2011, 9:56 AM
REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

ar15robert
08-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I use a soft sided case to transport mine i just lock the zipper.I dont take mine to a range just blm land and most times i have camper on truck so guns are in cases AR locked case then i will also lock then door of the camper too.(one large *** locked container)

baih777
08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
thanks guys, i drive a SUV and my old cases dont have locks. i might just add a padlock.

oceanbob,
thanks for the link. i have been searching for two weeks for clarification. i now have a folder setup for these laws. i want to carry copies for those LEO that need more understanding.