PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me about the .22 cal rifle

zombiescanlearn
08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I've always shot 5.56 NATO or .223 rounds. So, I don't know much about .22s'. Are they any good for home defense or are they just good for paper targets? I always thought that they were only for target practice. I think the joke I've heard was that you can kill someone with a .22 when the wound gets infected.

That's not true is it?

MrPlink
08-27-2011, 11:34 PM
they are plenty lethal, esp if they hit in the right place. Problem is they may not "stop" your target immediately.

About 2 years ago a relative of one of my coworkers was accidentally shot in the stomach with a .22lr carry pistol, he died before he got to the hospital.

I also recall an article posted here not too long ago about a woman who defended herself from a would be rapist by shooting him approx 10 times with a .22lr handgun. He tried to flee the house and died right after exiting the front door.

BUT once again, you hit somewhere super critical and your target may just drop right there and then.

Ultimately, I dont think its ideal for defense, but it def beats nothing. If you must use it for that purpose make sure you are using some higher velocity rounds.

nrakid88
08-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Well...

Let me start off by saying that I have had more fun with .22lr than any other caliber in the WORLD. You can shoot at anything, and will, because each bullet is so cheap you don't cringe when you pull the trigger. You will end up shooting at dirt just to see dust, mud to see a splash, plants to see them fall, plastic to see it dance. All this play will make you a better shot as well.

I currently have a dedicated .22 AR that has been pretty damn near 100 percent reliable. Thank you CMMG. Since I have legal pre ban high caps, and there is no bullet button, I often sleep with it by my bed. I like looking at and handling the rifle. If someone did break in, they are going to have to contend with 27 expertly placed rounds before I reload. Plus, I won't go deaf, or be blinded by the flash, during the ordeal. And it will take me about a second to get a fresh magazine in the gun.

That said, I usually sleep by a 9mm Glock, or a bullet buttoned 5.56 AR. There was a loud noise out back yesterday, all I had was my .22 AR on me... and honestly, my first thought was "Why now? This is NOT enough gun" luckily it was just a false alarm but I did not feel secure.

If you are going to use it for self defense, I would reccomend a 40 grain high velocity round from a good maker, like CCI. I think that round nose is better since you want penetration. A hollow point may not penetrate well enough. Aim for the vitals, but honestly the face is where its at with a .22

Cuerno_de_Chivo
08-28-2011, 12:34 AM
.22 is definitely lethal. I was watching a video where this guy was drilling a hole on his roof for a satellite dish. Well I guess the guy got impatient and thought it'd be quicker if he shot a hole through it. He shot it with a .22 pistol, shot through the roof, kept going and it killed his wife. Tragic story but definitely a .22 is lethal.

nrakid88
08-28-2011, 12:57 AM
http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html

Start here.

Also, 5.56 goes through walls less good than does 9mm

BayouBullets
09-08-2011, 6:13 PM
Is it just me or does this thread seem familiar?;)