PDA

View Full Version : $1000 Bounty on assualt weapons in East Palo Alto

tgriffin
01-23-2007, 6:39 AM
Just watching the news on channel 5 this morning and after a news piece about the rise in the murder rate, they mentioned that the local police department is offering a $1000 bounty for information leading to the arrest of anyone with an "assault rifle".

If I lived local to EDIT: EAST palo alto (i dont) I would be re-evaluating my SOP.

Aluisious
01-23-2007, 6:42 AM
Aw nuts.

I hoped they were paying $1000 for assault weapons.

I was going to build a bunch that cost $600 :D

Mssr. Eleganté
01-23-2007, 6:50 AM
Aw nuts.

I hoped they were paying $1000 for assault weapons.

I was going to build a bunch that cost $600 :D

Six hundred dollars!

You could have just duct-taped a $6 FAL mag to an $80 Turk Mauser and had a better return on your initial investment.

Mute
01-23-2007, 7:49 AM
And how many of those murders were actually committed with "assault weapons." Fricking idiots.

dfletcher
01-23-2007, 8:18 AM
If I lived in EPA owning an AW would be a requirement for me.

bwiese
01-23-2007, 9:23 AM
police department is offering a $1000 bounty for information leading to the arrest of anyone with an "assault rifle".

Hmm, somehow, someway this might be a way to get rid of Model1, OlyArms, and M&A Parts crap guns for fun & profit :)

xrMike
01-23-2007, 9:27 AM
Anything with a pistol grip should qualify, right? ;)

gn3hz3ku1*
01-23-2007, 9:30 AM
funny how one freeway and a few million dollars more per house more seperates the 2 palo altos..

Aluisious
01-23-2007, 9:30 AM
Hmm, somehow, someway this might be a way to get rid of Model1, OlyArms, and M&A Parts crap guns for fun & profit :)
Who gets the fun job of being arrested?

Pay some gang banger 20 bucks..."stand here with this box for 20 minutes."

bwiese
01-23-2007, 9:31 AM
Anything with a pistol grip should qualify, right? ;)

Oooh, that'd be great!

Get crap together that doesn't meet the 12276.1 generic AW definition so no criminal issues and then the cops pay $1K to the 'rat', since 80+% of cops have no idea what is/isn't an AW...

Aluisious
01-23-2007, 9:31 AM
funny how one freeway and a few million dollars more per house more seperates the 2 palo altos..
When I first moved to the USA, I was staying with family friends in Palo Alto. It was just a bit south of 101, and I occasionally heard gunfire at night.

I thought "wow, the USA is just like the movies."

xrMike
01-23-2007, 9:43 AM
Get crap together that doesn't meet the 12276.1 generic AW definition so no criminal issues and then the cops pay $1K to the 'rat', since 80+% of cops have no idea what is/isn't an AW...Then it's just a matter of waiting the obligatory 2 weeks for that fat check to arrive by mail, heheh.

aca72
01-23-2007, 9:45 AM
Was EPA once the murder capital of the U.S.?

megavolt121
01-23-2007, 9:46 AM
Then it's just a matter of waiting the obligatory 2 weeks for that fat check to arrive by mail, heheh.

It's the gov't, it'll take them 3 weeks to figure out its not an AW.

bwiese
01-23-2007, 9:46 AM

There are already new $850K homes in EPA.

In 20-25 years, EPA will gentrify and evolve into the next Foster City.

Socal858
01-23-2007, 9:49 AM
group buy on el cheapo drop mag SKS's and tapco stocks???

ghideon
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Was EPA once the murder capital of the U.S.?

Yeah, per capita. According to some info I found on the net:

With 42 homicides in 1992, East Palo Alto was known by the FBI as the murder capital of the United States, per capita. To have 42 killings in a 2sq. mi area with just a little over 24,000 citizens is mind numbing. That is to say that approximately 1 out of 500 persons is killed.

ghideon
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Whoops, double tap.

MaceWindu
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM

...interesting observation. Also, the police response time probably dramatically rises depending on which side of the freeway you live on.

Mace

anonymous
01-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Just watching the news on channel 5 this morning and after a news piece about the rise in the murder rate, they mentioned that the local police department is offering a $1000 bounty for information leading to the arrest of anyone with an "assault rifle".

If I lived local to EDIT: EAST palo alto (i dont) I would be re-evaluating my SOP.

This is kind of scary because now your going to have a bunch of bounty hunters stealing guns from law abiding citizens, which will lead to more murders---especially since not even the cops can tell the difference between a AW and a legal gun.

NextTimeAround
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM

So true. And in the late 90's when Whiskey Gulch was torn down to make way for the Four Seasons, it pushed the line back even more.

anotherone
01-23-2007, 12:25 PM
And how many of those murders were actually committed with "assault weapons." Fricking idiots.

I guarantee you that pretty much 100% of the murders were committed with the following weapons:

1) .22 LR handgun manufactured 10-20 years ago
2) .38 special snub-nose revolver
3) .380 ACP compact frame automatic handgun
4) 9mm handgun

There's the list of gansta guns in order of popularity. Enjoy :).

megavolt121
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I guarantee you that pretty much 100% of the murders were committed with the following weapons:

4) 9mm handgun

You forgot the Glock Foh-Tee... Oh wait, only DEA Agents trained in firearms use those.:D

gn3hz3ku1*
01-23-2007, 1:09 PM
response time is different because they have different police depts.. have you guys seen the cars beverly hills cops drive? only slightly different from LAPD right?? :)

Cops generally are here to protect us, but the public somehow screws them over... look at the guys who got shot up at the hollywood robbery? if they didnt get to go to a gunstore they would all have died ( but now there are no such places in LA cuz the gun hating public decided to screw them....)

go figure

chiefcrash
01-23-2007, 1:28 PM
according to KRON, it's a buyback, not a bounty:

East Palo Alto Wants to Buy Back Guns

Posted January 22, 2007 at 6:20 p.m.

EAST PALO ALTO (KRON) -- A day after two teenagers became East Palo Alto's first homicide victims of the year, police are talking about finding ways to get a flood of weapons off the streets.

KRON 4's Rob Fladeboe says he counted six bullet holes in the Cooley Avenue carport where Sunday afternoon's shooting claimed the lives of a 17-year old and a 13-year old.

East Palo Alto Police Lt. Tom Alpiio says the killing happened when two men, "wearing dark sweatshirts with the drawstrings pulled tight across their faces approached the two boys and made some comments and then opened fire with 45 caliber and 9 milimeter handguns."

Rob says a couple of hours after the teens were shot, two grown men survived their gunshot wounds in an unrelated crime on Rutgers Avenue. That means eight people have been shot in East Palo Alto in just the last month. Police statistics show a total of 17 firearm related crimes since mid-December.

Now police want to buy the guns back off the streets. They'll pay as much as $500 for a semi-automatic handgun while a shotgun or assault rifle could bring you $1,000. Investigators say they're seeing a resurgence of gang and drug related crime after a couple of years of seeming improvement. Rob found one man who says his sons are now afraid to go outside. Many others didn't want to talk while remaining in the relative safety of their closed windows and locked doors.

tgriffin
01-23-2007, 1:29 PM
This is kind of scary because now your going to have a bunch of bounty hunters stealing guns from law abiding citizens, which will lead to more murders---especially since not even the cops can tell the difference between a AW and a legal gun.

um NO..... the money is for INFORMATION.....leading to the arrest of someone in possession of an assault rifle....im more concerned about people getting tailed from the range to home, un-due scrutiny by agencies as a result of tips, just a bad situation in general.

Aluisious
01-23-2007, 1:31 PM
A shotgun for $1000?

roffles

I'll go down the Big5 and clean the place out.

tgriffin
01-23-2007, 1:31 PM

EAST PALO ALTO (KRON) -- A day after two teenagers became East Palo Alto's first homicide victims of the year, police are talking about finding ways to get a flood of weapons off the streets.

KRON 4's Rob Fladeboe says he counted six bullet holes in the Cooley Avenue carport where Sunday afternoon's shooting claimed the lives of a 17-year old and a 13-year old.

East Palo Alto Police Lt. Tom Alpiio says the killing happened when two men, "wearing dark sweatshirts with the drawstrings pulled tight across their faces approached the two boys and made some comments and then opened fire with 45 caliber and 9 milimeter handguns."

Rob says a couple of hours after the teens were shot, two grown men survived their gunshot wounds in an unrelated crime on Rutgers Avenue. That means eight people have been shot in East Palo Alto in just the last month. Police statistics show a total of 17 firearm related crimes since mid-December.

Now police want to buy the guns back off the streets. They'll pay as much as $500 for a semi-automatic handgun while a shotgun or assault rifle could bring you $1,000. Investigators say they're seeing a resurgence of gang and drug related crime after a couple of years of seeming improvement. Rob found one man who says his sons are now afraid to go outside. Many others didn't want to talk while remaining in the relative safety of their closed windows and locked doors.

weird.... thats not what they were saying on the news this morning, btu then again when should we expect or rely upon getting the story right anyway....lol

Edit: found this :http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2007/01/20/n/HeadlineNews/SAFE-NEIGHBORHOODS/resources_bcn_html

EAST PALO ALTO LAUNCHES ANTI-VIOLENCE INITIATIVE
01/20/07 3:55 PST
EAST PALO ALTO (BCN)

Following 13 gun-related assaults this year, East Palo Alto will initiate "Project Safe Neighborhood."

The U.S. Department of Justice has granted $75,000 to the East Palo Alto Police Department for the project, and the Police Department has contracted with the Community Development Institute to provide an analysis of the recent shootings.

Police say the project will include parole and probation checks and searches, undercover narcotics operations at problem areas, surveillance of suspected gang members, enhanced traffic enforcement to recover guns and weapons in vehicles, stepped-up gang investigations with the help of the district attorney's office, gang graffiti removal, and strict enforcement of the curfew ordinance.

Police have also partnered with community groups and churches to conduct a unity march and rally in February and a youth summit in March.

The Police Department is also forming an anti-gun initiative in which Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers will provide up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of someone carrying an illegal gun or assault weapon in East Palo Alto. Police say the initiative will not require the caller to be asked personal questions, give their identities, or testify in court.

bwiese
01-23-2007, 1:41 PM
Damn, an AW *buyback*.

This is COOL. I'm sure they don't know about AW laws.

If we can get crap OLLs built w/Model 1 parts or Sarco USGI milsurp uppers we can keep 'em down below $500. Turn 'em in without pistol grips or FHs. Or get Yugo Simonovs w/detachable magazines.

Hmmm, this could be fun and profitable. Wonder if they don't pay out to big arsed whiteboys like, or if these buybacks are restricted to minority gangmembers (these days, it seems it's Hispanic or Pacific Islander these days...)

bwiese
01-23-2007, 1:43 PM
...for information leading to the arrest of someone carrying an illegal gun or assault weapon in East Palo Alto. Police say the initiative will not require the caller to be asked personal questions, give their identities, or testify in court.

Um, likely false promise - very likely caller ID info etc retained that a defense attorney could subpoena.

Anytime you tangle with LE nothing is guaranteed to be private.

chiefcrash
01-23-2007, 1:51 PM
Um, likely false promise - very likely caller ID info etc retained that a defense attorney could subpoena.

Anytime you tangle with LE nothing is guaranteed to be private.

that's when i call my local police to report an abandoned car, i use a payphone two counties over and a voice changer....

then i set the payphone on fire...

anotherone
01-23-2007, 1:54 PM
Wonder if they don't pay out to big arsed whiteboys like, or if these buybacks are restricted to minority gangmembers (these days, it seems it's Hispanic or Pacific Islander these days...)

Hispanic and Asian gangs are interesting in Cali these days. They have much fewer members than large African American gangs, and they're also much less involved in collecting revenue and running an ongoing criminal enterprise. Instead, they seem to be more about trying to "look tough" and live "the thug life".

Some of the local Asian gangs in my city have as few as 15 or 20 members. These small gangs committ a significantly higher amount of homicides and violent crime than African American gangs numbering in the 100s and 1000s of members. However, because the asian community is very insular it's extremely difficult to ever arrest or prosecute them.

I imagine that when these little guys end up in the big house they simply become girlfriends to the larger more organized gangs in there.

tgriffin
01-23-2007, 2:02 PM
interesting interesting......I wonder if they accept 80% lowers..... good lord we could have some fun with this......plus can you imagine how happy the PD would be to report that they got a couple dozen "AR-15 assault weapons off the street" hahaha build them up with 80% lowers, model 1 uppers, and strip the guns down as far as they'll go.... man this could be fun and profitable as Bill pointed out.

xrMike
01-23-2007, 2:04 PM
then i set the payphone on fire...You wipe the handset clean of prints before you torch the booth though, right? Right? ;)

slick_711
01-23-2007, 2:06 PM
interesting interesting......I wonder if they accept 80% lowers..... good lord we could have some fun with this......plus can you imagine how happy the PD would be to report that they got a couple dozen "AR-15 assault weapons off the street" hahaha build them up with 80% lowers, model 1 uppers, and strip the guns down as far as they'll go.... man this could be fun and profitable as Bill pointed out.

May as well find out who the city is going to have destroy the confiscated arms, then you can go to that office with the legal books and pictures and descriptions, prove to them they are indeed not 'illegal assault weapons' and buy them back for $100 to turn them back in the next day.

guimus
01-23-2007, 2:24 PM
Actually, this is one city that really does have an "Assault Weapon" problem. A friend works for the San Mateo county sheriff's office and a few months back they had a group of Nortenos come up from LA with an AR to even up some body counts that they had been on the losing side of. She broke 5 dates with me in two months due to unexpected overtime...

bwiese
01-23-2007, 2:27 PM
Actually, this is one city that really does have an "Assault Weapon" problem. A friend works for the San Mateo county sheriff's office and a few months back they had a group of Nortenos come up from LA with an AR to even up some body counts that they had been on the losing side of. She broke 5 dates with me in two months due to unexpected overtime...

They do not have an AW problem, they have an 'animal control' problem.

megavolt121
01-23-2007, 2:33 PM
Um, when and where? I have a shotgun I paid $60 for. I have no problem collecting $1k cash for turning it in.

chiefcrash
01-23-2007, 2:38 PM
You wipe the handset clean of prints before you torch the booth though, right? Right? ;)

yes, with alcohol swabs...

then i take the chared remains of the pay phone and dump it in the ocean 30 miles out....

and then i kick a puppy. i'm not sure why....

gn3hz3ku1*
01-23-2007, 3:23 PM
airsoft!!!!! just drill out the barrel to make it look bigger.. cut some parts to make a old mag fit and spray bait.. bam you just made a few hundred esp if you find a cop as great as iggy.

Ford8N
01-23-2007, 4:34 PM
Could someone up in the area call on the specifics of the $1000 buy back at the East Palo Alto P.D. This is to good to be true. I would seriously do this for a crappy shotgun or a cobbled AK. A grand is a grand.

morepoop4u
01-23-2007, 4:38 PM
It's a scam like "you just one a free boat" or "a big screen tv". When you show up they nab you hahaha:D . I wonder if they take a 10/22 with a commando style folding stock;)

gn3hz3ku1*
01-23-2007, 5:26 PM

soo guys uhh no one is going to pay you unless you turn someone in.. so if anyone would like to take their ultra dangerour 22 or super evil sks with them and let me turn them in... no one is going to get anything :)

i promise to split all funds 50/50 if you allow me to do this...

KrizB
01-23-2007, 5:59 PM
I wonder if they take a 10/22 with a commando style folding stock;)

Revenge of the Krinker Plinker!

thedrickel
01-23-2007, 6:10 PM
FYI, century has M59 SKS's in fair condition for 139 . . .

ldivinag
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
A shotgun for $1000?

roffles

I'll go down the Big5 and clean the place out.

yes, but paint it and decorate it to make it as evil as possible...

HUTCH 7.62
01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
When I lived in EPA I had Just wished That I could Have a CCW permit and By the way the rents cheap but to own a house there will cost you 700,000

petey
01-24-2007, 2:09 PM
A little more information on the bounty

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=4962310

Reward Offered In East Palo Alto Shootings

Jan. 23 - BCN - A day after two teenage boys were killed by a semi-automatic handgun, police in East Palo Alto are hitting the streets, hand delivering flyers to let community members know they can earn up to $1,000 for providing information that leads to the arrests of people who carry assault rifles.
Police will walk around so-called hot spots and areas where gang activity takes place to get out the message of the Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers: "make $1,000 with one phone call."

As part of the city's Project Safe Neighborhood, anyone who calls with information that leads to the arrest of a person illegally carrying a firearm or assault weapon in East Palo Alto will earn the reward money without having to answer any personal questions, provide any identification, or provide any court testimony.

Callers can receive $500 for the arrest of a person with a handgun and $1,000 for the arrest of a person with an assault rifle, according to police.

On Sunday, a 13-year-old boy was found dead in a carport at 685 Scofield Ave., his body riddled with multiple gunshot wounds.

The second victim, a 17-year-old boy, died of his injuries Sunday evening at Stanford Hospital, East Palo Alto Lt. Tom Alipio reported.

Police reported that the shooting took place around 12:27 p.m.

According to Alipio, it appears that two males in hooded sweatshirts walked up to the boys, shot them with the semi-automatic handgun, and then ran north on Scofield Avenue. The two suspects then got into a waiting vehicle and sped away, Alipio said.

The boys' deaths mark the first and second homicides of 2007 in East Palo Alto, Alipio said.

royta
01-24-2007, 3:55 PM
that's when i call my local police to report an abandoned car, i use a payphone two counties over and a voice changer....

yes, with alcohol swabs...

then i take the chared remains of the pay phone and dump it in the ocean 30 miles out....

and then i kick a puppy. i'm not sure why....

Yes, you have made my sides ache from laughing so hard.

royta
01-24-2007, 3:56 PM
...his body riddled with multiple gunshot wounds.

What an idiot (not you petey). As opposed to a body being riddled with a single gun shot wound?

artherd
01-24-2007, 9:15 PM

I used to pee on the payphone but I found out on CSI they can get DNA from that.

So now I just steal fire extinguishers. It's messier, but not nearly as satisfying.

artherd
01-24-2007, 9:20 PM

I used to pee on the payphone but I found out on CSI they can get DNA from that.

So now I just steal fire extinguishers. It's messier, but not nearly as satisfying.

Alan Block
01-25-2007, 2:07 PM
It is an island of poverty surrounded by incredibly wealthy communities. I wonder why it had not been gentrified years ago. Nothing can clean up a slum faster than yuppies looking for a reasonably priced house on the peninsula.

bwiese
01-25-2007, 2:44 PM
It is an island of poverty surrounded by incredibly wealthy communities. I wonder why it had not been gentrified years ago. Nothing can clean up a slum faster than yuppies looking for a reasonably priced house on the peninsula.

Trust me, in 20-25yrs it'll be the next Foster City. Even some of the older neighborhoods look 'cute', 'cozy' if it weren't for the population. The new homes near the new mall on 101 are $800K now.

Tear down the apt blocks and get rid of Section 8 and miracles happen.

BTW, it's not all sweetness & light in regular Palo Alto - the folks west of 101 on University Avenue, even in $2Mil homes, still get foot & car traffic from EPA. The bums & jerks you see in downtown on Univ. Ave come from EPA.

hoffmang
01-25-2007, 7:04 PM
This past weekend I was smoking a cigar and drinking a single malt in EPA. Granted it was in the fenced confines of the Four Seasons, but that complex shows you what is going to happen to EPA.

-Gene

Yankee Clipper
01-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Even if it is a buy back and not a bounty, it's a waste of money. It's my understanding that 'buy backs' don't reduce crime - it’s a 'feel good' imitative. And a waste our tax dollars! EPA needs to hire more LE personnel. Trying to ‘do it the cheap’ with federal dollars just doesn’t work.

EAST PALO ALTO (KRON) -- A day after two teenagers became East Palo Alto's first homicide victims of the year, .........

02-08-2007, 8:27 PM

4) 9mm handgun

You're forgetting AK's with "banana clips" :rolleyes:

megavolt121
02-09-2007, 8:01 AM
Is the buyback happening yet? I've got some scary shotguns I want to get rid of! :D

AxonGap
02-09-2007, 8:39 AM
There are already new $850K homes in EPA.

In 20-25 years, EPA will gentrify and evolve into the next Foster City.

I'll believe it when I see it. The 101 fwy is the dividing line between NO money and FU money. Imagine that a large number of palatial homes in PA sit vacant as 2nd or 3rd homes for a large part of the year. The wealth disparity between EPA and PA is beyond ridiculous.

BTW, they should put a bounty on crooks/gangbangers instead of AW’s.

~~~~

bwiese
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
[COLOR=black]I'll believe it when I see it. The 101 fwy is the dividing line between NO money and FU money. Imagine that a large number of palatial homes in PA sit vacant as 2nd or 3rd homes for a large part of the year. The wealth disparity between EPA and PA is beyond ridiculous.

Yup, and that means dangling some cash to some of these folks will cause them to sell out - it's pretty easy to clear an apt building out with $10K per renter. And many of the homes there are owned by absentee landlords, they'll be glad to push out the renter and sell the land at "we're gonna build the next Foster City" prices.

HUTCH 7.62
02-09-2007, 3:48 PM
I read in the PALO ALTO daily the other day that EPA has one of the largest groups of people 35 and under in the Bay Area.

luvtolean
02-10-2007, 8:25 AM
Callers can receive $500 for the arrest of a person with a handgun and $1,000 for the arrest of a person with an assault rifle, according to police.

On Sunday, a 13-year-old boy was found dead in a carport at 685 Scofield Ave., his body riddled with multiple gunshot wounds.

The second victim, a 17-year-old boy, died of his injuries Sunday evening at Stanford Hospital, East Palo Alto Lt. Tom Alipio reported.

Police reported that the shooting took place around 12:27 p.m.

According to Alipio, it appears that two males in hooded sweatshirts walked up to the boys, shot them with the semi-automatic handgun, and then ran north on Scofield Avenue. The two suspects then got into a waiting vehicle and sped away, Alipio said.

Good to hear the bounty is on evil AWs, since they are what do all the killing.

otteray
04-08-2007, 5:48 PM
I received this email today from the Golden State 2nd Amendment Council:

All,

While I was driving south on 101 I passed by the Ikea store which has a big electronic sign.

There was one ad that said: "$1000 REWARD For info on people with guns.

The sign had a silhouette of an AR and the logo for a police dept. The sign advised people to report gun owners at the following number 650 321 1112. Ikea appears to own the sign but they use a company called Smart Sign Media to take care of the ads that run. (800-549-7300)
I called Smart Sign Media and was told by "Cheryl" that the ad was placed by the East Palo Alto Police. They were offering up to $1000.00 reward. I called the 650-321-1112 number and was routed to a lady in police admin at 650-853- 3160. I could not get the lady's name but she told me that the program was designed to get the public to report young men who were seen with guns in the street.

When I asked her what happened with these reports she said that these were only considered .incidents" until an officer checked them out. When I asked her what she meant by checking them out, she said they would dispatch an officer to the address and see if the person had the .proper paperwork" for the weapon. If not, they would confiscate the gun and hold it pending further investigation. At this point, a true report would be filed.

When I asked her to define "proper paperwork", the process for getting a gun back, etc., she got very evasive and said I had to talk to a sergeant. I was then left on terminal hold. I called back twice with the same result.

I need the following from all of you:
A. Include a request to have as many people as possible call 650 853 3160 and ask to
speak to the sergeant on duty. Get as much info as you can about the program and
the details.
B. Get people to start calling Ikea in East Palo Alto and find out why they are
allowing this to go on.
C. Get this information out to as many other 2A groups as possible.

You can get a PDF of the notice that includes a picture of the sign here: http://www.gs2ac.com/flyers/PAPoliceGunInfoCollection.pdf and on our web site.

Many thanks,

Mark Towber
President
Golden State 2nd Amendment Council
http://www.gs2ac.com

Technical Ted
04-08-2007, 5:51 PM
East Palo Alto you COC Violation removed -leelaw, not Palo Alto.

Two different municipalities. Two different counties. Two different governments. Two different police departments. Two different extreme ends of the middle class.

BTW this is an old, old topic. http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=47143&highlight=East+Palo+Alto

See my signature.

Crazed_SS
04-08-2007, 5:58 PM
Wow... this state never ceases to amaze me :(

BLKTALN
04-08-2007, 8:02 PM
is word of mouth (your friend has an AW) enough for law enforcement to generate a search warrant?? OMG.... it's a crime to buy something you like as a hobby, then the law changes and you're now a criminal....

xenophobe
04-08-2007, 9:41 PM
COC Violation removed -leelaw

COC violation? Is that something like being a dick? http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

oaklander
04-08-2007, 9:55 PM
Bill W. - it sounds like T&M should be made aware of this, if they are not already. They need to file an injunction to stop this.

This sort of house-to-house confiscation is way over the line.

I live in Oakland, and I could see this happening here.

tgriffin
04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Judging from from how reliable the low level staffers at BOF have been in the past in desseminating information, I would caution against leading a charge based on the info of a couple phone calls.....hate to say it but this would be better served to go forward, have an "incident" happen as a test case and get the this entire approach shot down in the courst so that there is precedent against it.

oaklander
04-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Judging from from how reliable the low level staffers at BOF have been in the past in desseminating information, I would caution against leading a charge based on the info of a couple phone calls.....hate to say it but this would be better served to go forward, have an "incident" happen as a test case and get the this entire approach shot down in the courst so that there is precedent against it.

It's not DOJ that appears to be the problem here (although they might be behind this) - it's the EPA police.

artherd
04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
The ghetto of EPA and the travesty that is Baypoint, are not long for this earth. I have a Cat D11 with their name on it.

http://www.vannattabros.com/2006add/D11n1.jpg

Trust me, in 20-25yrs it'll be the next Foster City. Even some of the older neighborhoods look 'cute', 'cozy' if it weren't for the population. The new homes near the new mall on 101 are $800K now.

BTW, it's not all sweetness & light in regular Palo Alto - the folks west of 101 on University Avenue, even in $2Mil homes, still get foot & car traffic from EPA. The bums & jerks you see in downtown on Univ. Ave come from EPA.

TonyM
04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
The ghetto of EPA and the travesty that is Baypoint, are not long for this earth. I have a Cat D11 with their name on it.

http://www.vannattabros.com/2006add/D11n1.jpg

If you can guarantee that the guys selling Heroin there today won't come back after you bulldoze, I'll buy some of that land in E.P.A. Being close enough to work to get there in under 40 minutes would be nice.

CalNRA
04-09-2007, 5:00 AM
so, um, is the shogun buy-back still on? I'll let my 870 express go for 1000 bucks...

Cpl_Peters
04-09-2007, 8:22 AM
so, um, is the shogun buy-back still on? I'll let my 870 express go for 1000 bucks...

I'm all about buying every 160 dollar shotgun big 5 has, turning them all in then retiring. I mean, we are looking at some serious return on investment here!

xenophobe
04-09-2007, 2:50 PM

The only time I've ever seen a buy-back that paid more than $100 in gift certificates, concert or sports tickets or toys is when California did the SKS buyback.

mcubed4130
04-09-2007, 4:32 PM
I noted on the "BOARD" - (the hwy 101 thingy - in Palo Alto) - the PAPD was advertising "$1000 reward for people with guns."

I guess when I IM'd this to my buddy in late Feb 07, I should have sent it here too.

Now I know better.... course I didn't know about Calguns then.... so I'll give myself a break. :D

-M3

turinreza
04-09-2007, 5:20 PM
$75,000 only brings in 75 shotguns

if i get 75 cheaper shotguns for about $10000
i can pocket $65,000!!

didn't know LEOs where on the losing end of an arms deal

otteray
04-09-2007, 5:27 PM
COC violation? Is that something like being a dick? http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

Ha Ha.
Since this COC Violation appears to be a a censorship of some kind and it was made directly after my post, then maybe I am the dick, or whatever, being referred to here.
I never saw this post about EAST frigging P.A. here before, even though I come here on a regular basis for up to date valuable info.
I'd rather be called a dick by you, Xeno, if that was yours and TechTed's jr. high remark to me, than to just sit on my *** and complain and do nothing, like the majority of gun owners in this state do.

Crazed_SS
04-13-2007, 6:09 PM
So is that sign actually real? Someone on another board said it was a photoshop. Looks real to me though.

mcubed4130
04-13-2007, 6:37 PM
So is that sign actually real? Someone on another board said it was a photoshop. Looks real to me though.

I've been driving by it (the sign) and the Ikea store on hwy 101 - 2 times per day M-F - since 2005. The "Will work... err Pay Money for Guns"... advertisement, started in mid-late February 2007.

-M3

Crazed_SS
04-13-2007, 6:45 PM
Ahh thanks.. so it is real.

Just when you thought you seen it all in CA. :(

raysosc
04-13-2007, 7:14 PM
New tactic of anti-gun fanatics

repost; Palo Alto Ca.

While I was driving south on 101 I passed by the Ikea store which has
a big electronic sign.

There was one ad that said: "$1000 REWARD For info on people with guns.

The sign had a silhouette of an AR and the logo for a police dept.
The sign advised people to report gun owners at the following number
650 321 1112. Ikea appears to own the sign but they use a company
called Smart Sign Media to take care of the ads that run. (800-549-7300)

I called Smart Sign Media and was told by "Cheryl" that the ad was
placed by the East Palo Alto Police. They were offering up to
$1000.00 reward. I called the 650-321-1112 number and was routed to a
lady in police admin at 650-853- 3160. I could not get the lady's name
but she told me that the program was designed to get the public to
report young men who were seen with guns in the street.

When I asked her what happened with these reports she said that these
were only considered .incidents" until an officer checked them out.
When I asked her what she meant by checking them out, she said they
would dispatch an officer to the address and see if the person had the
.proper paperwork" for the weapon. If not, they would confiscate the
gun and hold it pending further investigation. At this point, a true
report would be filed.

When I asked her to define "proper paperwork", the process for getting
a gun back, etc., she got very evasive and said I had to talk to a
sergeant. I was then left on terminal hold. I called back twice with
the same result.

I need the following from all of you:

A. Include a request to have as many people as possible call 650 853
3160 and ask to speak to the sergeant on duty. Get as much info as you can
about the program and the details.

B. Get people to start calling Ikea in East Palo Alto and find out why
they are allowing this to go on.

C. Get this information out to as many other 2A groups as possible.

You can get a PDF of the notice that includes a picture of the sign
here: http://www.gs2ac.com/flyers/PAPoliceGunInfoCollection.pdf and on
our web site.

dwtt
04-14-2007, 12:51 PM

In a way I hope EPA stays the way it is. Without Section 8 there, the low lifes will move to Milpitas and Fremont. I don't think Fremont is gentrifying fast enough to prevent them from coming here.
Does anyone know if any $1000 bounty has been paid out yet?

Technical Ted
04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
In a way I hope EPA stays the way it is. Without Section 8 there, the low lifes will move to Milpitas and Fremont. I don't think Fremont is gentrifying fast enough to prevent them from coming here.
Does anyone know if any $1000 bounty has been paid out yet?
There's always Eastern Menlo Park and the Fair Oaks district of Redwood City.

Boomer1961
04-14-2007, 5:33 PM
So truly to make this work...

We need someone lawfully residing in EPA and a lawfully registered AW.

We then call in reporting them as seeing a gun in hand in the garage.

Then the owner must lean the gun against the wall in the house, in site of the front door, but with a CA approved locking device even if there are no children in the house, and make certain we open the door enough when LE comes a knocking to see the black rifle.

Then get arrested...

Now with an arrest we met the obligation of the offer so we get our $1000. The owner is proven a legal owner and the weapon is returned with an apology (right, you believe that one.....then I have this nigerian friend that needs you to help him get his diamonds into the US at a small fee).

Seems like it shoudl be able to work this way but who knows.

Its all about propoganda and the police chief getting his mug on the TV news and newpaper and getting a chief of the year award and stuff so who cares, really, who cares, its not like that $75,000 would be more wisely spent elsewhere if not on this program.

Take Care everyone!

SemiAutoSam
04-14-2007, 5:37 PM
Which would be worse EPA = a nasty federal agency. Or EMP= result of a nuke going off in your back yard. hmmmm must ponder the difference.

There's always Eastern Menlo Park and the Fair Oaks district of Redwood City.

Technical Ted
04-14-2007, 5:55 PM
Which would be worse EPA = a nasty federal agency. Or EMP= result of a nuke going off in your back yard. hmmmm must ponder the difference.
East Palo Alto used to be predominantly black when I was growing up in Palo Alto. The junior high joke--and I'm just sharing this tidbit--was: What does EPA spell backwards.

The population is now a mix of black, Latin American, Tongans and Somoans.

BTW The series of shootings that prompted the reward program involved Tongan and Samoan youth.

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2007-1-12-epa-conference

Jan 12, 2007

Leaders fear city's violence rising

By Banks Albach / Daily News Staff Writer

Amid fears that a violent rivalry might be growing between young Tongans and Samoans in East Palo Alto, leaders from the two Pacific-Islander communities came together Thursday to plead for peace.

The press conference was the latest effort by community leaders, city politicians and police officials to settle tensions over a Dec. 29 gunbattle that killed 19-year-old Melevea Fifita, a Tongan from East Palo Alto, and seriously injured 21-year-old Seu Tuimavave, a Samoan from San Francisco. Police believe the two girls were caught in the crossfire.

Late Saturday, gunmen riddled a Samoan household in East Palo Alto with bullets, leaving a 50-year-old man with minor injuries. It's unclear whether the attack was related to the Dec. 29 incidents.

"We want unity and we want peace," said Pastor Lea Uili of the Samoan Assemblies of God in Santa Clara. "The message is clear: We are bringing Tongans and Samoans together as one family to show that East Palo Alto can settle its differences."

The elders, Samoan Chief Tuimavave Auelua and Tongan Chief Mau Fatonga, said the youth are fanning the flames of violence.

"The problem comes from the youth," Fatonga said, also pointing to broken families and lack of parental support as contributing factors.

The gathering came less than two hours after the suspects in Fifita's death made their second appearance in San Mateo County Superior Court on murder and attempted murder charges. Seventeen-year-old Mafi Lutui, a Tongan, and 19-year-old Absalom Tuimavave, a Samoan, delayed entering pleas until Jan. 25. Both are being held without bail.

Police allege that Lutui accidentally killed Fifita, his cousin, with a handgun while defending her and that Tuimavave injured his sister with a shotgun after coming to her aid. Police believe the two women got into an argument.

Lutui's mother, Lea, also Fifita's aunt, sat together in the courtroom Thursday with Tuimavave's mother, a sign that the older generation was moving beyond grudges.

"She is my friend from work," Lea said after her son's appearance. "Everything is OK."

Fifita's family has publicly forgiven all involved.

But for some Tongan teens, who also question the details surrounding Lutui's arrest and Fifita's death, the press conference felt one-sided without any Samoan youth there.

"We think this is a waste of time if only the Tongans are here," Leka Funaki said.

Uili raised what he said is the underlying question that people forget to ask once bullets are loosed between two groups: "How much of the rivalry is personal?"

"Samoans and Tongans are intermarried," he said after the press conference. "I'm fearful for the families. These are personal issues with the youth."

This Christmas was especially tragic for East Palo Alto's Tongan community. A week before Fifita's death, 16-year-old Maikeli Iongi was shot and killed by police who allege the robbery suspect fired a gun at them. Many of Iongi's friends and family are fuming over the allegations.

Police Chief Ron Davis - who admitted during the press conference that the recent violence has cast a pall over the city - noted that homicides and firearm assaults dropped significantly in 2006.

"We take this one step at a time, one day at a time, one year a time," Davis said.