PDA

View Full Version : Almost a kaboom in my gsg5

pingpong
08-27-2011, 2:16 PM
Thought I had a kaboom today (probably would have been one if this was anything other than a 22LR).

Long story short, my gun went up in smoke (literally) towards the end of the shooting session. Smoke came pouring out of ever crack and crevice, and I had pieces of the casing fly out of the receiver.

I'm not really sure what exactly happened, but the casing and bullet are still lodged in the chamber. The extractor pulled part of the rim right off (the rest of the rim was blown out into a bunch of tiny fragments).

Needless to say I need to punch the bullet/casing out from the muzzle side as there's no rim for the extractor to grab onto anymore. Does anyone know where I can get something long enough and thin enough to stick down the barrel and knock the round out? I thought about using my cleaning rod but it's a bit too long, and seems like the section that's sticking out of the muzzle would snap.

sequoia_nomad
08-27-2011, 2:38 PM
Lowe's has some long brass rods that should work. Or a long hardwood dowel, if you are careful. I would try the cleaning rod first, assuming it's one piece.

InGrAM
08-27-2011, 2:53 PM
GSG's are pretty tough little shooters (like most .22's). I had the same thing happen to mine. And ya, like sequoia said a brass rod is what I used to push the brass casing out.

G-forceJunkie
08-27-2011, 7:24 PM
.22's blow the case out sometimes, it happens. There was a thread a few days ago about it in a 10/22. I personally have had 2 in the last 20 years. Just make sure your clear the barrel when it happens, as you noticed, it often leaves the bullet stuck in the barrel.

berg
08-27-2011, 8:13 PM
.22's blow the case out sometimes, it happens. There was a thread a few days ago about it in a 10/22. I personally have had 2 in the last 20 years. Just make sure your clear the barrel when it happens, as you noticed, it often leaves the bullet stuck in the barrel.

Yeah shoot semi-auto .22's enough and this will happen to you at some point. Doesn't matter who makes the gun. A good reminder to always wear your eye protection. Glad to hear no one was injured.

G-forceJunkie
08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
I saw it happen in a $2000 Anschutz bolt action. With the millions of .22 they make every year, some are just bad cases or overloaded.
Yeah shoot semi-auto .22's enough and this will happen to you at some point. Doesn't matter who makes the gun. A good reminder to always wear your eye protection. Glad to hear no one was injured.

defplayr
08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
What brand ammo were you using?

Mongoblack23
08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
ive had it happen a few time using cheap-o ammo in my gsg. blackened my hand and sent little bits of brass into my mag. the gun can handle it, just clear the barrel and any brass bits and keep shooting. as far as clearing, if the rod fits to clean it, it will fit to clear it....

Stoopy
08-30-2011, 5:36 PM
I have also had that happen to me with a friends gun. It broke the extractor but was able to get the case out with a pocket knife. I had glasses on but didn't have ear plugs in and it made my ears ring.