PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Disclosure

Press Check
08-27-2011, 12:54 PM
If a LEO is taking a statement from you at your home, or whatever the circumstances may be, are you obligated to inform the LEO that you have firearms in the home?

If not, and a LEO asks, are you obligated to disclose that you have a firearms, or provide access to said firearms?

SoCalDep
08-27-2011, 2:45 PM
If a LEO is taking a statement from you at your home, or whatever the circumstances may be, are you obligated to inform the LEO that you have firearms in the home?

No.

If not, and a LEO asks, are you obligated to disclose that you have a firearms, or provide access to said firearms?

No and no...Unless the law enforcement officer has a warrant or observes the firearms in plain view. You have to decide whether, depending on the circumstances, it would be better to disclose or not.

cmoore
08-27-2011, 9:41 PM
+1...

Tacit Blue
08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
+1...

What long guns? I only have a pistol :P

Turo
08-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Absolutely not. In fact I can't see any good that could possibly come of that situation. Nothing but bad things, up to and including seizing your firearms and never seeing them again in the case of, "that looks illegal, so I'm taking it."

Bad idea all around.

TRICKSTER
08-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Where do these questions come from? In my 30 years as a LEO, I never asked someone if they had firearms in their home while taking a report or statement unless it had something to do with why I was there. If someone is reporting an auto burglary, or some crime occurring in their neighborhood, why would I care how many guns that they may have.

Tacit Blue
08-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Absolutely not. In fact I can't see any good that could possibly come of that situation. Nothing but bad things, up to and including seizing your firearms and never seeing them again in the case of, "that looks illegal, so I'm taking it."

Bad idea all around.

Policemen are their to protect u from those evil guns :eek:

Press Check
08-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Where do these questions come from? In my 30 years as a LEO, I never asked someone if they had firearms in their home while taking a report or statement unless it had something to do with why I was there. If someone is reporting an auto burglary, or some crime occurring in their neighborhood, why would I care how many guns that they may have.

The actual circumstances involved a noise complaint at a friends house where there was a party going on. According to him, LE arrived, and in the midst of addressing the noise complaint, asked if there were any guns or weapons in the house.

With all due respect, it's definitely no secret that not all LE officers follow the exact same letter of the law. You can speak for self, but not for all.

Ron-Solo
08-28-2011, 10:16 AM

It comes from spending too much time in the " Off Topic" forum and the "Anti-LE" mentality that breeds and thrives there.

In 32 years I never asked that question either.

geeknow
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I recently had to call LE, regarding a messy situation in my neighborhood. When the responding LE asked for my work address as part of the witness statement, I gave it...which happens to be Ammo Bros. Now, I suppose that if the much feared 'do you have guns' type questions were to arise, this would be the time. on that subject, all that I was asked was a few 'how much is...' type questions, which I didnt mind at all. They didnt even give me a once over to check for evidence of 'printing'...that's just my personal experience, for what its worth.

Samuelx
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Depends on the circumstances. Two off the top of my head - if we are investigating some kind of incident involving the discharge of a firearm or making a domestic violence arrest...

biochembruin
08-28-2011, 12:02 PM
The actual circumstances involved a noise complaint at a friends house where there was a party going on. According to him, LE arrived, and in the midst of addressing the noise complaint, asked if there were any guns or weapons in the house.

With all due respect, it's definitely no secret that not all LE officers follow the exact same letter of the law. You can speak for self, but not for all.

Just to be clear, there's nothing in the "letter of the law" to prohibit an officer from asking if there are guns in the house.

Press Check
08-28-2011, 1:33 PM
Just to be clear, there's nothing in the "letter of the law" to prohibit an officer from asking if there are guns in the house.

Generalized statement, sir.

Notorious
08-28-2011, 1:43 PM
I would ask if there is anything that necessitates it such as restraining orders, domestics, gang fights, burglary, etc., where I might need to know foyer my investigation. Other than that, have at it.

I have called cops to my house and they have never asked about my guns except when they came at a burglary call and they met me at the door and asked me what kinds of guns do I have so they know what they might be up against if a burglar got a hold of them.

TRICKSTER
08-28-2011, 1:58 PM

So they were asking a "suspect" on a disturbance call if there were any guns or weapons in the house. Depending on what other facts that you may have left out, I may have asked the same question.

SVT-40
08-28-2011, 2:15 PM

Generalized statement, sir.

Leo's can legally ask you any questions they wish at any time they wish. It's up to you to decide if you want to answer them.

Even during a custodial interrogation, and after you have invoked your Miranda rights they can still legally ask some questions.

Notorious
08-28-2011, 5:32 PM
I can keep talking all I want even after you invoke your 5th, 6th, 8th, 14th, 18th, and 23rd all you want. Mighty not be a smart move and you have no obligation to respond, but as long as I am not questioning you or making statements likely to elicit an imcriminating response, I am not violating anything.