PDA

View Full Version : Torque screwdriver recommendation?

gymguy
08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Mounting most scopes require a torque spec on the screws that mount it. Too much torque and the scope tube is distorted or crushed, too little and the scope won't be stable. Does anyone have a good source for a torque screwdriver (20 inch pounds or so)?

Peter W Bush
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Brownells has some good ones.

deez
08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I've used the Wheeler FAT Wrench on six of my scopes.

So far, so good...

Black Majik
08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
+1 I use a FAT wrench also.

uscbigdawg
08-27-2011, 1:55 PM
FAT Wrench is a turd and not very accurate. There's a lot of guys at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge and other bigger LR precision matches, who's scope rings and bases came loose when exposed to real weather. Those that did, used FAT Wrenches. Those that didn't used one of two things. Either a really expensive set of Seekonk wrenches or a VERY accurate, portable and accurate wrench set from Borka Tools. Here's a review from the Hide:

Snipers Hide Review of Borka Tools Torque Wrench (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFKcxfAptA)

I have an extra set at the house, never used, I'll make you a deal on.

Rich

Peter W Bush
08-27-2011, 3:46 PM
Seekonk! That was the name I couldn't remember. A lot of their wrenches are preset IIRC and they are the ones that Nightforce reccomends. They're some very nice wrenches but too rich for my blood (unless I can find a nice adjustable one).

uscbigdawg
08-27-2011, 7:25 PM
For the price the fixed setting wrench from Warne is actually a really good wrench. It and then dropping dollars on a Seekonk wouldn't be a bad way to go. However, the Borka allows for 10 (?) different torque settings and all the bits you'd ever need in a TAB Gear carrier and all rolls up to the size of about an Aimpoint.

I picked up two sets with the intent of keeping one in the shop and the other in my kit bag. Just never has worked out that way as I keep all my kit in the shop anyways. Price is right and the quality is second to none.

Rich

ronas
08-29-2011, 4:23 AM
I use a calibrated CDI torque screwdriver for ring caps. Mine goes from 5" lbs to 40" lbs.

For base nuts I use Matco 1/4" drive toque wrench also calibrated. I think the range is like 30" lbs to 200" lbs.

Mute
08-29-2011, 6:57 AM
Get the Borka tool that uscbigdawg recommended. Best torque device I've ever owned.

winxp_man
08-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Get the Borka tool that uscbigdawg recommended. Best torque device I've ever owned.

+2 for Borka tools.

dhyayi
08-29-2011, 3:41 PM
you could many tools that you can buy on this link

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=FAT+Wrench/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=FAT_Wrench

Pthfndr
08-29-2011, 6:31 PM
Another vote for the Borka.

A lot of the guys on Snipershide, and in the Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club have purchased this, myself included. It makes torquing scope bases, rings, even the rifle action bolts, so quick and easy. I've spent my life working as a mechanic and have several torque wrenches. But for rifle work this thing is the best.

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/mtsd.html

kortik
09-09-2011, 3:44 PM
For the price the fixed setting wrench from Warne is actually a really good wrench. It and then dropping dollars on a Seekonk wouldn't be a bad way to go. However, the Borka allows for 10 (?) different torque settings and all the bits you'd ever need in a TAB Gear carrier and all rolls up to the size of about an Aimpoint.

I picked up two sets with the intent of keeping one in the shop and the other in my kit bag. Just never has worked out that way as I keep all my kit in the shop anyways. Price is right and the quality is second to none.

Rich

Actually, it's 12 torque settings, 6 on each side. And thanks a lot for your kind words, gentlemen.

Boris

LibertyOptics
09-16-2011, 8:46 PM
We are proud Borka dealers and the MG3-SRA is in stock for $125 delivered

Scott