PDA

View Full Version : Protecting ones 2A rights and other Liberties via recording

Hunt
08-27-2011, 7:59 AM
What is the status of recording video and audio of police encounters in CA? I follow the Civil Liberties activist in NH and they are having great success rolling back the loss of Liberties by recording police encounters and public officials. However, they have liberal State laws that allow this, contrasted with the courts where I am, recording is banned. Can we record police in public places here in CA? What about public officials in public buildings or doing their job in public?

emcon5
08-27-2011, 8:09 AM
This forum is full of videos of unloaded open carry checks, so I am going to go out on a limb and say recording the police is legal......

Hunt
08-27-2011, 8:14 AM
This forum is full of videos of unloaded open carry checks, so I am going to go out on a limb and say recording the police is legal......

what about other public officials in public buildings? I know the courts don't want to be transparent LOL.

The Shadow
08-27-2011, 8:37 AM
what about other public officials in public buildings? I know the courts don't want to be transparent LOL.

Courts don't allow recording, and they go to great lengths to prevent it by posting guards, cops, and metal detectors at the entrances to prevent it.

Quite frankly, they are taking advantage of the 9/11 fenzy that has been in place for the past 10 years.

Lawyers, go figure.

Pixs
08-27-2011, 9:05 AM
It's been 40 years since I checked into this but back then if you were on public property or private property with permission of the owner, you could photograph anything or any one except trademarks. However, that doesn't stop the LEO from threatening you with almost any thing, remember the LEOs are armed and dangerous. first hand experience, LOL.

Dreaded Claymore
08-27-2011, 3:15 PM
However, they have liberal State laws that allow this, contrasted with the courts where I am, recording is banned.

Where are you? If you're in California, recording is not banned.

Pixs
08-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Where are you? If you're in California, recording is not banned.

Just a guess; Maryland.

MountainMike
08-28-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=471184
1st Circuit Court of Appeals: Recording Police Is Legal

bcj128
08-28-2011, 8:03 PM
As a police officer for 20 years, I don't have a problem with being recorded. Let's just be polite with each other...

We may not agree on the law, but I respect your right to protest what you believe is wrong. Just remember, the law is the issue, it's usually not the officer.

stix213
08-28-2011, 9:10 PM
I suggest having your recording device already recording before the police arrive. I don't think they appreciate someone diving for their pockets to pull something out as they approach you.

Just a guess; Maryland.

Why do so many of your posts use some crazy italics colored font that is almost impossible to read? :p