PDA

View Full Version : School zones and open carry permits

Scarecrow Repair
08-26-2011, 6:50 PM
In rural counties, sheriffs (and presumably police chiefs) can issue permits to carry openly. (I may be wrong; maybe there is only one carry permit, the LTC. But I thought rural counties could issue permits specific to open carry.)

Are there any differences between the concealed and open carry permits as regards gun free school zones? Since federal and state school zones seem to have some differences, does this matter for an open carry permit?

paul0660
08-26-2011, 6:52 PM
No.

But never happens, any more.

CitaDeL
08-26-2011, 7:53 PM
In rural counties, sheriffs (and presumably police chiefs) can issue permits to carry openly. (I may be wrong; maybe there is only one carry permit, the LTC. But I thought rural counties could issue permits specific to open carry.)

Are there any differences between the concealed and open carry permits as regards gun free school zones? Since federal and state school zones seem to have some differences, does this matter for an open carry permit?

You mean licenses.

There is no difference in the exemptions between a concealed carry license and the loaded exposed format... both are 12050 licenses.

Since I doubt that a license to carry loaded and exposed has ever been issued anywhere in California, the point is moot.

hoffmang
08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Since I doubt that a license to carry loaded and exposed has ever been issued anywhere in California, the point is moot.

Surprisingly, there are a handful of open carry licenses in CA.

-Gene

Quiet
08-28-2011, 6:57 AM
A LTC issued in a county with a population of less than 200,000 can be amended to be a license to open carry in that county only. [PC 12050(f)(1)(C)]

So, you gain the ability to open carry in your county, but you will lose the ability to conceal carry anywhere in CA and you will only be able to open carry in your county.

Penal Code 12050
(f)(1) A person issued a license pursuant to this section may apply to the licensing authority for an amendment to the license to do one or more of the following:
(C) If the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, authorize the licensee to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

hoffmang
08-28-2011, 8:42 AM
To answer the OP question - a carry license that specifies open does exempt the licensee from GFSZs.

-Gene

Scarecrow Repair
08-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replies -- an interesting fantasy to imagine how much it would tweak some noses.

No, I'm not going to move somewhere and get such a license :-)

CalBear
08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the replies -- an interesting fantasy to imagine how much it would tweak some noses.

No, I'm not going to move somewhere and get such a license :-)
Not sure how that would go. I'd imagine in a county of < 200,000 you wouldn't find too many raging antis, and the sheriff would probably be more willing to issue. Still, the sheriff can revoke the permit at any time, so if you stood outside of schools just to ruffle feathers, I'd imagine that might not go over well at the SO.

Since PC 12050 authorizes either LOC or concealed permits (one or the other), I would certainly opt for the standard concealed permit over the LOC one. The concealed permit is good statewide.