PDA

View Full Version : Precision Reloading

Californio
01-22-2007, 6:40 PM
Bolt Rifle Precision Accuracy

I have a Win 70 Super Varmint and want to reload for max accuracy, .223 1-9 26 barrel.

I have a general semi load with H-335 but have never loaded for precision.

Bought 100 Lupa Cases and a new set of dies just for them.

1.When I get the cases what to I need to do? I usually FL, trim and debur. I have read about primer pocket uniforming etc. So what special tricks need to be done for precision cases?

2. I ordered a headspace gauge will have that info for bullet seating, also Lee FCD.
3. Trying a batch of Sierra .69gr. Match Kings HPs.

Any help appreciated.

ocabj
01-22-2007, 7:02 PM
1. What I've found with primer pocket uniforming tools is that they tend to deepen pockets too much. I've stopped using them.

2. You don't need the Lee FCD for rifle. Especially a bolt rifle. Headspace gauges aren't used for measuring bullet seating. What you need to get is a cartridge overall length tool like the Stoney Point or the one made by Sinclair. Also, get a bullet comparator. I prefer the Sinclair bullet comparator.

3. As far as bullets for a bolt gun in 1-9" twist, look to other bullet manufacturers besides Sierra. Target shooting bullets for 22cal and 1-9" tend to top out at the 69 with respects to Sierra. Berger offers a 72 or 73gr bullet that should work in the 1 in 9. Also, you should be able to use the 75gr Hornady A-Max.

Fjold
01-22-2007, 7:21 PM
Just to get you started. Here's some big picture items:

One of the issues that you are dealing with is that you have a factory chamber and barrel. Measure the throat of your chamber and the diameter of the necks of the cases after you have fired them. Ideally you want your assembled ammunition to have a loaded neck diameter of .003 .004" under your fired case neck diameters. You will probably not be able to get this close because the factory chamber will be too big.

You started with Lapua brass so uniforming the brass is not an issue. Get some high quality mid 60's to low 70's grain match bullets (SMK's Bergers, etc.) If you are hard core you can buy a bullet ogive comparator and sort your bullets by length.

Buy a set of precision dies, either custom made for your chamber or you can try the Redding or Forster bushing dies with a competition seating die.

Take one bullet and load it into a partially sized case, you just want it to fit just tight enough to hold the bullet. Measure the neck diameter and use a bushing in the die that is approximately .005" smaller than this diameter. This will give you sized brass with approximately .003" of neck tension (the empty case will spring back about .002" after sizing). Use the seater die to adjust seating depth in .001 increments to adjust the loads for precision.

anyracoon
01-22-2007, 7:23 PM
You should look into a Redding competition seating die set, it supports the case alot better when seating the bullets. Turning the necks can help out a little also. You might want to look at the V-max or Nosler ballistic tip bullets, I use them in both my 223 & 22-250 varmit guns with very good results. Another real help is a good trigger set up. I use Jewel triggers and they are well worth the price.

tankerman
01-22-2007, 8:28 PM
Factory chamber size, from my expirience with M70's is that they tend to be on the large size.

Californio
01-22-2007, 8:52 PM
Thanks Guys,

Downloaded the Redding Catalog, reading now. Much food for thought.

Will be back after I digest the catalog with a new batch of questions:)

Whitesmoke
01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
You don't usually want to crimp ammo thats being made for accuracy....especially in a bolt gun. Just neck size......