PDA

View Full Version : How many "places" require registration of non-NFA firearms?

Anchors
08-26-2011, 2:39 PM
I've noticed repeatedly that among the general population (and even among gun owners) there is a persistent rumor that guns are registered.

We all know that very few places require registration of firearms, but I am curious as to which states require it (like California) or LARGE CITIES that have local ordinances that require it (like Las Vegas).

"Registration" can mean just handguns or just AR/AK/etc rifles or both.

One person on another forum I read suggested that Hollywood has perpetuated this myth (as they do with most gun myths) based on the fact that most cop/law shows are set in places like Los Angleles, New York, Chicago, D.C. etc that require registration.

Thanks

LIST SO FAR:

Registration Required: (there are various exemptions, but registration is mostly required for either handguns or all guns.)

California
Chicago
District of Columbia
Hawaii
Las Vegas
Maryland
Michigan
New York State

Not "Registered" - but police record made of all dealer sales:

Massachusettes
New Jersey
South Dakota
Washington State

Unique Examples:

Connecticut
-"Assault weapons" must be registered. There is a de facto registry of handguns maintained by the Department of Public Safety as any handgun transfer, be it from a dealer or private party, must be accompanied by an authorization number issued by the DPS and a form containing personal and weapon identification (DPS-3-C) must be submitted to DPS and local police. This form is collected and maintained on all long guns purchased from FFL dealers as well, however is not required for the transfer of long guns between private parties.

North Carolina
-Not record of sales, but a record of people. Sheriff to retain and make available to law enforcement agencies a list of CCW permittees.

mrrsquared79
08-26-2011, 2:44 PM
Ryan,

Good question, tagging this thread for definitive answers/facts from the annointed ones here!

Milsurp Collector
08-26-2011, 2:51 PM
Go here http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/#?st=OR

Click on each state, it will tell you if registration is required.

Anchors
08-26-2011, 3:21 PM
I've updated the OP based on Milsurp's link and the "Gun Laws By State" wiki.

Only four states, and three cities so far...

Go here http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/#?st=OR

Click on each state, it will tell you if registration is required.

Sweet, thanks.

Librarian
08-26-2011, 3:45 PM
However, strictly speaking, California does not require that guns be registered.

On a transfer through an FFL, the DROS information accomplishes that, but legally owning and using a gun (other than RAW) in California is not conditioned on it being known to the State.

yellowfin
08-26-2011, 4:04 PM
The entire state of Illinois requires a FOID for all gun owners, so add that to the total.

tozan
08-26-2011, 4:21 PM
However, strictly speaking, California does not require that guns be registered.

On a transfer through an FFL, the DROS information accomplishes that, but legally owning and using a gun (other than RAW) in California is not conditioned on it being known to the State.

Most guns are not and do not need to be registered in Ca. and IMHO that makes the registration of new gun sales an unfair law. Shouldn't the law apply to everyone equally and eliminate any type of registration...

nick
08-26-2011, 4:32 PM
CA doesn't require the non-NFA guns to be registered, with the exception of RAWs. Long guns aren't registered, and handguns are only registered during transfer. However, there's no requirements for them to be registered. If you have one from before 1991, it doesn't have to be registered. If you built one yourself, it doesn't have to be registered. So strike CA from that list, and show the list to the gun owners in other states that think that CA is the root of all evil. New York City is the root of all evil, we're just its first victim :p

formerTexan
08-26-2011, 4:49 PM
WA requires notification/reporting for only handguns transferred through a FFL. Long guns through FFLs are not "reported", and none is required at all for Title I private party transfers.

Anchors
08-26-2011, 6:13 PM

I know, but they accomplish registering all handguns unless they were acquired almost before I was born or were manufactured by the owner.

The entire state of Illinois requires a FOID for all gun owners, so add that to the total.

The FOID doesn't keep track of individual firearm data though, does it?

CA doesn't require the non-NFA guns to be registered, with the exception of RAWs. Long guns aren't registered, and handguns are only registered during transfer. However, there's no requirements for them to be registered. If you have one from before 1991, it doesn't have to be registered. If you built one yourself, it doesn't have to be registered. So strike CA from that list, and show the list to the gun owners in other states that think that CA is the root of all evil. New York City is the root of all evil, we're just its first victim :p

I know that, but like I said above, they accomplish registering the majority of handguns.

WA requires notification/reporting for only handguns transferred through a FFL. Long guns through FFLs are not "reported", and none is required at all for Title I private party transfers.

Yes, I know. But the OP is about any kind of registration/"reporting".

Mssr. Eleganté
08-26-2011, 11:14 PM
The myth of registered firearms probably comes more from the fact that many early television writers lived or grew up in New York City. Even on old radio shows from the 1940's you can often hear dialogue where a small town cop will say something like, "We found two guns in his house and he ain't got a permit for either of 'em." You can hear the "Do you have a permit for this thing?" line on many TV detective shows from the 1950's up to today that are set in cities and States with no registration at all.

repubconserv
08-26-2011, 11:26 PM

Even pistols? I was under the impression (except for pistols bought before registration) that all pistols, even home built ones must be registered.

aklover_91
08-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Even pistols? I was under the impression (except for pistols bought before registration) that all pistols, even home built ones must be registered.

Even pistols. If you move into the state with handguns, you are compelled to register them, if they are transferred through a dealer they are registered during the DROS.

Ergo, if you aren't importing it and you aren't transferring it, there is no requirement to register it.

repubconserv
08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Even pistols. If you move into the state with handguns, you are compelled to register them, if they are transferred through a dealer they are registered during the DROS.

Ergo, if you aren't importing it and you aren't transferring it, there is no requirement to register it.

HAAAAAAAAAA! thats awesome.... not to detract from the topic at hand, but how old must one be to build a pistol (AR style) from an 80%?

nick
08-26-2011, 11:45 PM
HAAAAAAAAAA! thats awesome.... not to detract from the topic at hand, but how old must one be to build a pistol (AR style) from an 80%?

repubconserv
08-26-2011, 11:53 PM

That is sweet... yet expensive... oh well. Thank you and I hereby declare [/:threadjacked:]

Anchors
08-27-2011, 12:48 AM

Nope, they are correct. It is pretty cool.
Too bad an AR is one of the easiest to do and still looks pretty involved and you need access to a mill.

I wish I could dremel myself a 1911. If only it were that easy haha.
They should make 80% frames for really simple polymer guns. It would probably be possible to finish them without a mill (although quality might be spotty).
AR receiver made of cutting board (milled).
3chSzLxPuzU

...back on topic :D

press1280
08-27-2011, 3:06 AM
I think Hawaii has some kind of registration as well. As far as LTC goes-I'm pretty sure every state(including county sheriffs) make the information accessible to LEO agencies if needed.

Anchors
08-27-2011, 4:46 AM
I think Hawaii has some kind of registration as well. As far as LTC goes-I'm pretty sure every state(including county sheriffs) make the information accessible to LEO agencies if needed.

Good call. I missed one of the most obvious places.
They actually require registration of ALL firearms.

Lagduf
08-27-2011, 8:09 AM
Nope, they are correct. It is pretty cool.
Too bad an AR is one of the easiest to do and still looks pretty involved and you need access to a mill.

While a mill would be easier, faster, and probably result in a cleaner build you can complete an 80% AR lower using a drill press. That's how I built mine.

Anchors
08-27-2011, 1:37 PM
While a mill would be easier, faster, and probably result in a cleaner build you can complete an 80% AR lower using a drill press. That's how I built mine.

Nice!
I didn't know that. Does it function flawlessly?
I wonder if you can only achieve an AR that way...

cmichini
08-27-2011, 3:51 PM
Clarification:
In North Carolina, Durham County requires registration of handguns. No other registration requirements I've found so far for long guns or handguns.

Also, all long gun and shot gun PPTs are truly private party transactions (no dealer), whether C&R or modern. If handguns, the recipient needs to either have a one time-use pistol purchase permit (which is relinquished to seller when used - either PPT or FFL), or CHP (concealed handgun permit). If buyer has CHP, you can cash and carry any handgun (assuming it's not a machine gun which are banned).

FYI

Anchors
08-27-2011, 6:53 PM
Clarification:
In North Carolina, Durham County requires registration of handguns. No other registration requirements I've found so far for long guns or handguns.

Also, all long gun and shot gun PPTs are truly private party transactions (no dealer), whether C&R or modern. If handguns, the recipient needs to either have a one time-use pistol purchase permit (which is relinquished to seller when used - either PPT or FFL), or CHP (concealed handgun permit). If buyer has CHP, you can cash and carry any handgun (assuming it's not a machine gun which are banned).

FYI

That is why I didn't add it to the registration list. It is on the "police records" list. Which to my knowledge occurs in the entire state.

That is interesting about Durham County though. You would think such a small county with a population under 300,000 that only has six little towns wouldn't bother with such nonsense. Makes you wonder what other little towns in states with no preemption have similar requirements.