PDA

View Full Version : Another Glock question.

oso grande
08-26-2011, 9:46 AM
Seeing as how the Glock has no safety, Do you carry yours cocked and ready to fire? Or do you have to wrack the slide when an emergency arises?
Thanks,

OG

XDRoX
08-26-2011, 9:51 AM
With one in the chamber.

Casual_Shooter
08-26-2011, 9:52 AM
Whenever this topic comes up, the answer is usually, "why carry a firearm that isn't ready to fire".

Revolvers don't have a safety. My P220 doesn't have a safety.

Get a good holster and there should be nothing to worry about.

Oh and I'm sure someone will be along to tell you that Glocks have three safeties.

HighLander51
08-26-2011, 9:53 AM
Seeing as how the Glock has no safety, Do you carry yours cocked and ready to fire? Or do you have to wrack the slide when an emergency arises?
Thanks,

OG

Neither do revolvers.... Would you carry a wheelgun unloaded?

CK_32
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I dont carry. but If I did it would be empty chamber with loaded mag.

Wouldnt be comfortable with condition 1 as of right now.

g_conway
08-26-2011, 11:48 AM

You have to respect the "as of right now" statement.

Training and safety are critical. A Carry weapon is pointless if not carried ready to fire; however, we all have to learn somehow. If you need to carry unloaded to feel safe with the weapon in the beginning, go for it.

BUT, if you can't get used to CCW with the weapon loaded, please stop wearing it. The odds are that it will get you hurt that way.

JMO

justhavinfun
08-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Assuming you are legally carrying is it legal to carry 1 chambered and 10 in the mag. or does it need to be 1 chambered and 9 in the mag.?

XDRoX
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Assuming you are legally carrying is it legal to carry 1 chambered and 10 in the mag. or does it need to be 1 chambered and 9 in the mag.?

1 in the chamber plus 10 in the mag is fine.

So is 1 in the chamber and 15 in the mag as long as you owned the mag prior to the ban.

mag360
08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
hold on badguy let me load my weapon...yea ok.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks,

OG

Glocks have one external safety, as well as two internal safeties (sorry, Casual_Shooter, couldn't resist). The external safety is the lever in the trigger which will not allow the trigger to move to a firing position unless a finger (or something else) is on the trigger, pressing it back.

A Glock pistol, when the slide has been cycled to place a round in the chamber, can be said to be "half cocked" - that is, the striker has already been partially withdrawn, but not far enough to cause the weapon to fire if the internal safeties were to fail. The trigger bar withdraws the striker the final distance needed to give it the energy to fire a round before releasing it.

For those reasons, I have no problem carrying my Glock 27 in Condition One (as much as that can be said to apply to a Glock action). I would not carry it in Condition Three (mag loaded, chamber empty), and you cannot carry it in Condition Two as there is no way to decock the striker after cycling ("racking") the slide to load a round.

As has already been said, get a good holster (one that covers the trigger guard completely), train with it, and it's not an issue.

JoeinLA
08-26-2011, 1:03 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but why is the lever on the trigger considered a "safety"? It would seem to me that whether that's there or not, if something pushes on the trigger, the gun will discharge...? Seems kind of superfluous, but I'm sure I'm missing something... Guess I'll go google it :P

Eh, answered my question: http://www.boatmanbooks.com/samplelwglocks.html

Oceanbob
08-26-2011, 1:31 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but why is the lever on the trigger considered a "safety"? It would seem to me that whether that's there or not, if something pushes on the trigger, the gun will discharge...? Seems kind of superfluous, but I'm sure I'm missing something... Guess I'll go google it :P

Eh, answered my question: http://www.boatmanbooks.com/samplelwglocks.html

Consider a GLOCK a double action revolver with a transfer bar to prevent accidental discharge if dropped. Like any weapon the best safety is your skill at keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until rock and roll time. :D

This is an easy job and should be second nature.

And of course always keep the weapon pointed downrange. Never at a person or your private parts...LOL

If you're going to carry a weapon, a proper holster is a must.

Practice good habits at all times. Weapons don't discharge by themselves.!

Be well
Bob

RollingCode3
08-26-2011, 1:35 PM
Consider a GLOCK a double action revolver with a transfer bar to prevent accidental discharge if dropped. Like any weapon the best safety is your skill at keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until rock and roll time. :D

This is an easy job and should be second nature.

And of course always keep the weapon pointed downrange. Never at a person or your private parts...LOL

If you're going to carry a weapon, a proper holster is a must.

Practice good habits at all times. Weapons don't discharge by themselves.!

Be well
Bob

+1. My glock 26 is always loaded on me. I dont carry paper weight.

ChaneRZ
08-26-2011, 1:44 PM
You do not deserve to own a glock if it is not loaded when you carry it. Mine has 1 in the pipe at all times. A BG coming at you... Wait let me rack my slide...ooops you are dead!

Dhena81
08-26-2011, 2:04 PM
I'm baffled that someone would carry a defensive firearm without one in the chamber. You should try to get over your fears by going to a pistol class and practicing drawing after you know the correct way.

Lead Waster
08-26-2011, 2:04 PM
Actually a glock has anoter safety, you see, the glock will only fire if it is held sideways and even then, when you pull the trigger, you have to jab the gun in the direction you are firing it. :p

There was a video floating around, I think it was in India or some other overseas place. Two guys rush into a store and just execute this other guy. The victim pulled his gun and either it didn't fire or was not in a condition to fire, you can see him deperately pulling back the slide to no avail, he slumps down and the perps take the gun from him and leave him to die (which he does apparently). So ... IF you are CC because you actually fear for your life, you better have that thing ready to fire whatever it is. If you are carrying because you are excercising your rights and not actually in fear for your life, then it's your decision. I mean, you can open carry in CA if the gun is unloaded and empty, right? That means, insert mag, rack slide ... if you needed it, you're basically at a huge disadvantage, unless you are open carrying on a hike and a cougar or something is nearby and you have time to prepare.

InGrAM
08-26-2011, 2:35 PM
You only carry a Pistol with a round in the chamber!!!! This is not 1890, We do not have to worry about dropping our SA revolvers..... and them going, BANG!

chiphowes
08-26-2011, 2:52 PM
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me, as we change it."
-- Barack Obama

@Dhena81: I'm no fan of Obama, but he didn't say that. Mark Steyn (who I am a big fan of) said, or actually wrote, it in jest.

Oceanbob
08-26-2011, 2:54 PM
... if you needed it, you're basically at a huge disadvantage, unless you are open carrying on a hike and a cougar or something is nearby and you have time to prepare.

You should always be ready to shoot.!

http://i51.tinypic.com/awyec8.gif

ZombieTactics
08-26-2011, 2:57 PM
There are very few cases when I might carry without one in the pipe.

Cokebottle
08-26-2011, 2:57 PM
The Glock DOES have a safety... it's just not a "manual" safety.
It actually has multiple safeties.

The Springfield XD also has two "non-manual" safeties... one is a trigger safety just like the Glock, and the other is a grip safety like the 1911.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to fire and you don't NEED safeties.

Only one of my revolvers has a manual safety.

Huge Grant
08-26-2011, 2:59 PM

zactly

MrExel17
08-26-2011, 5:15 PM
Hot and ready, one in the chamber +1

tintguy
08-26-2011, 5:33 PM

I use to feel the same way. The way I got over that fear was carry cocked, loaded mag empty chamber. After about a day or so I notice I never accidentally pulled the trigger. This helped me build the confidence to carry condition 1. Hope that helps you.

evidens83
08-26-2011, 5:43 PM

/thread

vintagearms
08-26-2011, 5:54 PM
I'm in the camp of loaded and ready to fire or don't carry at all....

Red Devil
08-26-2011, 8:19 PM
In the box: Two (2) pre-ban mags (G23) loaded w/12 rounds... one in the pistol... empty chamber... plus one (1) loose round.

In the holster: drop the magazine... cock and load the loose round... replace the magazine... carried in Condition-1.

Turbinator
08-26-2011, 8:31 PM
When I'm carrying in a belt holster, I always have a round chambered ready to go.

Turby