PDA

View Full Version : Went to an AMC theater last night

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 8:45 AM
Didn't carry since I thought I read they don't allow CCW, but I asked the manager to find out for sure since there were no signs posted. Needless to say once the manager understood what I was talking about he got rather scared and a bit angry with me. Once I calmed him down and the 2 security guards I informed them that I was not carrying and that they should be thankful that I had the common courtesy to ask before entering. Once they calmed down he went on to tell me that the reason why I could not CCW was because there were too many people in the theater. What a dumb excuse, I actually laughed at them as I walked away. And I did not mention that they need to post sings by law if they are going to enforce a rule, I figured if they are going to treat an honest person who was dressed professionally like that I am not going to go out of my way to inform them what they need to do to conform to the laws. Gotta love ignorant people, but it is there right to be ignorant.

Untamed1972
08-26-2011, 8:47 AM
If there is no posted sign, and it's concealed......then how would anyone know?

Just keep it concealed and keep your mouth shut and go about your business.

paul0660
08-26-2011, 8:48 AM
Well that is a whole lot of fail...................BY YOU. If we start seeing signs we know who to thank.

scarville
08-26-2011, 8:55 AM
Well that is a whole lot of fail...................BY YOU. If we start seeing signs we know who to thank.
Maybe, but it is good to know when I am entering a crime friendly zone.

Crom
08-26-2011, 8:57 AM
:nopity: Why stir the pot unnecessarily? That's not being too smart. Just leave well enough alone already and don't bother them.

scootergmc
08-26-2011, 9:22 AM

Oh the humanity... who will save us?

HowardW56
08-26-2011, 9:26 AM
:banghead:

RazzB7
08-26-2011, 9:30 AM

Are you serious? You're ****ing with me, right? Have their been reports of muggings in dark theaters I haven't heard about? Are you afraid that creepy guy is going to come sit next to you?

I fully respect and support everyone's right to carry. But really??!?

I would have went about my business with my legal right to carry and not said anything. I would have expected any conversation with the manager and security to go just like your experience.

Lone_Gunman
08-26-2011, 9:32 AM
Keep your mouth shut and carry unless there are metal detectors or you are in a .gov building. Signs have no weight of law in CA.

Fate
08-26-2011, 9:35 AM
You did what?!?! You must be new at concealed carry.

Are you pre-screening every place you visit prior to actually carrying there? Restaurants, grocery store, hardware store, auto parts store, clothing store, mall, etc, etc, etc? If so, once you complete your survey you'll be dead of old age before you have actually carried day one.

Lone_Gunman
08-26-2011, 9:36 AM
Are you serious? You're ****ing with me, right? Have their been reports of muggings in dark theaters I haven't heard about? Are you afraid that creepy guy is going to come sit next to you?

I fully respect and support everyone's right to carry. But really??!?

I would have went about my business with my legal right to carry and not said anything. I would have expected any conversation with the manager and security to go just like your experience.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16697638

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/12/28/movie-theater-shooting/

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110815/news/110819846

http://videos.al.com/al/2011/08/cobb_theater_shooting_recap.html

Don't think only good people go to the movies man.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-26-2011, 9:36 AM
:banghead:

Je suis tout a fait d'accord!!!

dicksailor
08-26-2011, 9:43 AM
I used to get the urge to call when I first got my CCW, but now I realize all that's going to do is actually open the eyes of some ignorant person. My guess is if there weren't signs posted before, there will be soon...

Know the laws, look for signs. The only way I would approach management is if the sign was already up... Then try to explain to them that criminals don't follow signs, since they don't follow the law and describe to them what it means to be a ccw holder, live fire qualification, background check, etc, etc...

CalBear
08-26-2011, 9:52 AM
Consider the ridiculous number of ARS 4-229 signs popping up in Arizona after the allowance of guns in places with a license to serve liquor. That's Arizona mind you. The only reason we haven't seen signs plastered all over here is concealed carry has tended to be under the radar and discreet here.

Politically, there's still major opposition in the coastal areas, and when push comes to shove, plenty of business owners would disallow firearms if they could, even in areas like Bakersfield. It's my recommendation that you not go out of your way to ask. You aren't violating any private property issues if you go and carry discretely and they never ask you to leave or specifically announce a prohibition on firearms.

ZirconJohn
08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh hey, I know... do like the UOC group...,

Call the news papers, call TV news, and call Law Enforcement...,

Tell them you and a bunch of guys will be at the movie theatre carrying
CONCEALED FIREARMS... and tell them the CITY doesn't have a SIGN...! :eek:

What does the word concealed mean...? PLEASE, please... please look it up...!

Ohhhhhh... let me help you...! :facepalm:

conceal
—concealable, adj. —concealability, n. —concealer, n. —concealment, n.
/keuhn seel"/
v.t.
1. to hide; cover or keep from sight: A high wall concealed the house.
2. to keep secret; avoid disclosing or divulging: to conceal one's true motives.
[1275-1325; ME conselen, concelen < AF conceler < L concelare = con- CON - + celare to hide; cf. OCCULT]
Syn. See HIDE[1].

ERGO... what this means is you have a license to KEEP SECRET, a license to
AVOID DISCLOSING, or DIVULGING that you are carrying a firearm... capisce...!?! :yes:

Norsemen308
08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
^how did he get a concealed carry license and I did not?

Oceanbob
08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Employee's at AMC are not dumb or ignorant. They follow Corporate Policy and these days with lawsuits and liability that policy will be No concealed carry. Most safety issues are dictated by Insurance Companies. What insurance company would agree to allow loaded weapons in a movie theatre?

None.

Laughing and walking away only hurts our cause. I expect this manager to bring up this question at a future meeting; expect signs prohibiting concealed carry.

Let's not light our own house on fire folks..!

knucklehead
08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Mind if I ask what AMC this was located? Pm me if you would like.

paul0660
08-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Didn't carry since I thought I read they don't allow CCW, but I asked the manager to find out for sure since there were no signs posted.

So...............where did you read it?

NotEnufGarage
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Op - how did you pass your CCW class exam?

If it's not posted, go ahead and carry.

If it is posted, confront the management and tell them why you won't be spending any of your money there and that you plan to publicise it so other 2A advocates don't either.

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
As I had stated I had heard that CCW was not allowed and I prefer to follow a business's legal policy. Just because the rest of you would rather go against a business owners policy does not give you the right to bash me. There are AMC theaters with signs up already, I had read it in another post. So if you don't like what I did, tough I don't care what you think. I prefer to not upset business's by going against their policies. But if you wish to do so go right ahead that is your choice.

Funny how everyone wants the RIGHT to carry concealed, but they don't care about the RIGHTS of a business to not allow it or you feel you will just go against their RIGHT and carry anyways. Very responsible of you.

08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
^how did he get a concealed carry license and I did not?

Haha, same here! Wish I had a CCW/LTC.. nobody would ever know I had it! (Unless sign posted/gov. build. ect.)

paul0660
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
As I had stated I had heard that CCW was not allowed and I prefer to follow a business's legal policy. Just because the rest of you would rather go against a business owners policy does not give you the right to bash me. There are AMC theaters with signs up already, I had read it in another post. So if you don't like what I did, tough I don't care what you think. I prefer to not upset business's by going against their policies. But if you wish to do so go right ahead that is your choice.

Funny how everyone wants the RIGHT to carry concealed, but they don't care about the RIGHTS of a business to not allow it or you feel you will just go against their RIGHT and carry anyways. Very responsible of you.

Ah, the truth is out. You don't have a LTC, and are pulling our chains.

Loooooooser.

Fate
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

The only force of law those no carrying signs have is that if you refuse to leave when asked, they can have you arrested for trespassing. You're willing to give up your ability to legally carry a weapon for self defense because you might get asked to leave a business? That's nuts.

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Ah, the truth is out. You don't have a LTC, and are pulling our chains.

Loooooooser.

Yeah your right, I don't have a CCW. You are so freaking smart it is amazing. Your detective skills are beyond belief. You need to quit your job now and go get a new career as a detective.

G60
08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Ignoring the signs is not illegal. If for some reason they find out you are carrying (I don't know how that would happen, unless you did something dumb like tell them you're carrying), they may ask you to leave and may trespass you if you don't.

As was said before, the signs hold no weight of law.

2009_gunner
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I am sensing a kwikrnu moment here.

paul0660
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah your right, I don't have a CCW. You are so freaking smart it is amazing. Your detective skills are beyond belief. You need to quit your job now and go get a new career as a detective.

Naw, you would have clammed up when that Miranda stuff went down. Have a nice day fooling around.

Python2
08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
You did what?!?! You must be new at concealed carry.

I bet....:rofl2:

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
So let me see if I got this right, if you know that concelaed carry is not allowed in a business due to their policy you will do it anyways?

Python2
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM
So let me see if I got this right, if you know that concelaed carry is not allowed in a business due to their policy you will do it anyways?

Sure why not? Businesses cannot arrest me specially if there were no sign. The most they can do is kick my butt out of their establishment. My safety is a hell lot more important than their frigging policy. Flame on guys....

Milsurp Collector
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
This is a case where I wish a chief LEO had exercised his shall-issue discretion and denied a permit application.

What's that saying, with friends like this we don't need enemies.

Fate
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM

If you wouldn't, then you have no business carrying at all. If you are that uncertain of your desire or need to carry for self protection that you are willing to cede that daily resolve to the whims of corporate lawyers' policies, then why do you carry at all? There is no law preventing you from exercising your right when properly licensed unless you're in a restricted area like government buildings.

You seem so concerned with complying with the desires of others, why not disarm yourself now for the sake of the mugger who's lurking in the dark parking lot. He really doesn't want you to put up a fight.

paul0660
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
don't give this guy more ammo, please.

G60
08-26-2011, 11:15 AM

If El Dorado Hills had a policy that held no force of law (thus you would not be breaking any laws if you disobeyed it) that said you could not keep firearms in city limits, what would you do?

dantodd
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
It needlessly brings attention to yourself to do what you did.

If you have a question about corporate policy send a letter to the corporate headquarters. Word it something like this: "Does AMC theaters have a policy against off-duty police officers, judges and others with a License to Carry carrying concealed weapons into your theater?"

This is soooo much more effective than taking someone by surprise and confronting them with "can I carry a gun in here? I have a license."

I assume you can appreciate the difference the difference between the two approaches.

As others have said, you have likely caused them to now post their policy. It is much harder to convince someone to take down a sign than it is to convince them to not put one up in the first place.

The signs carry no force of law in CA. They give the property owner no additional rights to trespass you. They do serve to scare off others who might otherwise be able to defend themselves and others in the event of something "bad" happening. They are also one more negative firearm impression for the soccer moms and kids who should be getting positive impressions of firearms.

Would you "obey" a policy by a store that forbade wearing red underwear? If you heard someone had such a policy would you go up and ask someone, after you're already in the store, if it is ok to wear red underwear.

We will get 2A protected in public accommodations just as 1A and "protected classes" are covered now. But it will take time and it will take winning really big nationally.

Stirring the pot needlessly before there is any recourse is counter productive.

Anchors
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Wow. I think you're all overreacting.

Also, AMC is listed on that list of companies that have donated to or sponsered anti-gun groups.

ZombieTactics
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Some people seem to be under the impression that they require permission to carry, even if they already have a license to do so from a legally-elected authority in full compliance with the law.

Why would you even ASK?

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
If El Dorado Hills had a policy that held no force of law (thus you would not be breaking any laws if you disobeyed it) that said you could not keep firearms in city limits, what would you do?

I would contact my local sherrif's office and ask them what I need to do and if I needed to comply if anything.

FeuerFrei
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
:facepalm:

ZombieTactics
08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
There are no words. It's just ... damn ... at some point you have to say ... I need to have a drink right now.

Flopper
08-26-2011, 11:40 AM
:troll:

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
:troll:

Another junior dective, yes you are also correct I am a troll.

PixelBender
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
ugg after writing so many words. FeuerFrei got it right. :facepalm:

Why would willing disarm yourself when you have no legal obligation to do so?
Careful you'll scare the sheep.

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Wow. I think you're all overreacting.

Also, AMC is listed on that list of companies that have donated to or sponsered anti-gun groups.

That's ok, some people need to put down others in order to make themselves feel better since everything they do in life is correct and perfect.

But as some have pointed out that I am either a troll or don't have a CCW then it is ok for them to flame away. So flame away everyone.

paul0660
08-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I am either a troll or don't have a CCW

Or? OR? It is both.

RazzB7
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
CurleyRed...remember rule #1 of a hole: When you find yourself in one, stop digging.

Fate
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
That's ok, some people need to put down others in order to make themselves feel better since everything they do in life is correct and perfect.

So is this your way of admitting you made a mistake?

Lone_Gunman
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Allowed by who? NO GUN SIGNS HAVE NO FORCE OF LAW IN CALIFORNIA. So yes, I will do it anyway. IF in the unprobable event my weapon is exposed and IF someone sees it and IF they ask me to leave I will. I don't understand you at all.

Shenaniguns
08-26-2011, 11:58 AM

+1..

QuarterBoreGunner
08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Allowed by who? NO GUN SIGNS HAVE NO FORCE OF LAW IN CALIFORNIA. So yes, I will do it anyway. IF in the unprobable event my weapon is exposed and IF someone sees it and IF they ask me to leave I will. I don't understand you at all.

Absolutely correct. Always give me a chuckle when I see these 'no weapons allowed' signs on business.

Okay people, I think we're done here. Troll thread or not, no more playing dogpile on the OP.