PDA

View Full Version : Interesting advice from the CA DOJ BOF Website.

tenpercentfirearms
08-26-2011, 6:38 AM
I was doing some research today and came upon this gold mine of information.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/zastava.php

Public Notice - Zastava SKS Carbines

Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/images/wide.jpg
These weapons were incorporated into the Yugoslavian Army in 1966 and are constructed with grenade launchers on them. The factory brochure claims that the grenade launcher launches a 22 mm (approximately .80 caliber) grenade.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/images/closeup.jpg
Based on the information in the factory brochure, this grenade launcher is a destructive device, and enumerated as such in California Penal Code section 12301(a)(4). Possession of such a device can be a felony. Please contact us if you anticipate purchasing this weapon.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/b/be/Ackbar.jpg

CitaDeL
08-26-2011, 7:11 AM
Based on the information in the factory brochure, this grenade launcher is a destructive device, and enumerated as such in California Penal Code section 12301(a)(4). Possession of such a device can be a felony. Please contact us if you anticipate purchasing this weapon

Prostitution is illegal. Please let us know if you plan on paying a hooker for sex.

I can see that ploy working...:rolleyes:

SmellOfCordite
08-26-2011, 8:21 AM
Wow just another great firearm that I can't get anymore... On a side note, couldn't this letter then effectively ban any rifle that could launch something like a DD? How does this apply to all C&R rifles that could do this?

paul0660
08-26-2011, 8:26 AM
This is a new notice?

tenpercentfirearms
08-26-2011, 9:00 AM
This is a new notice?

I doubt it is new. These guns started coming in two to three years ago. Hell it could have been four now. I would have to go look at my bound book and see when I got the non-grenade launcher versions in the shop. They have pretty much dried up.

http://www.omnicorp.dk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/itsatrapjail.jpg

wazdat
08-26-2011, 9:00 AM
Eh...

Most of the 59/66's you'll find in Kommiefornia were imported by Century Arms International and they removed the grenade launcher and soldered on a muzzle break. Hell, you used to be able to buy them at Big 5.

Wherryj
08-26-2011, 9:05 AM
Prostitution is illegal. Please let us know if you plan on paying a hooker for sex.

I can see that ploy working...:rolleyes:

If you intend to exceed the speed limit, please let us know the place and time...

paul0660
08-26-2011, 9:08 AM
I got my cosmo covered never fired 59/66, with ugly sleeve welded on the GL from IO in 2005 I think..............for $130. Have also seen many with the GL unscrewed and a brake screwed on, sometimes secured, sometimes not. Also some with the whole contraption cut off and recrowned. I bet if you "notify" DOJ they will mention the many ways to get around the GL, and that you should make sure of it.

cDC7BzYeJL8

cdtx2001
08-26-2011, 9:44 AM
Even if one had an SKS with a GL device, where the hell is someone supposed to find the grenades to launch off it????? The local Big5 or Walmart doesn't seem to carry them. The average homie on the street can't get them. Seems to me to be a useless device without the grenades.

Mesa Tactical
08-26-2011, 9:50 AM
This is a new notice?

It has been up for years.

tozan
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Maybe they could remove the GL. With the GL removed would it be a constructive possession problem then, should it be destroyed?

desertjosh
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Did they ever sell these "sks's" with the GL still attached? I bought mine in 06 in unfired condition with the brake on.

CHS
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Did they ever sell these "sks's" with the GL still attached? I bought mine in 06 in unfired condition with the brake on.

In CA no. In the rest of the US, absolutely. Less work to just leave it on.

The really crazy thing is, the AR15/M4/M16 A1 and A2 flash hiders are also designed to be able to fire a grenade. But they are considered legal in CA.

Mesa Tactical
08-26-2011, 1:28 PM
Maybe they could remove the GL. With the GL removed would it be a constructive possession problem then, should it be destroyed?

Typically when these are sold in California the grenade launcher has been replaced by a muzzle brake. For some oddball reason the muzzle brakes are usually spot welded on.

Uxi
08-26-2011, 2:57 PM
Arms should be arms. This particular infringement has been there for years, though. Saw that awhile back.

SJgunguy24
08-26-2011, 3:07 PM
I have welded a bead on those accross the ribs to "deactivate" the launching capabilities of the spigot.

jamesob
08-26-2011, 4:42 PM
Even if one had an SKS with a GL device, where the hell is someone supposed to find the grenades to launch off it????? The local Big5 or Walmart doesn't seem to carry them. The average homie on the street can't get them. Seems to me to be a useless device without the grenades.Silly rabbit. Everyone knows that you can get 22mm grenades at every crack house.

Dhena81
08-26-2011, 4:48 PM
I doubt it is new. These guns started coming in two to three years ago. Hell it could have been four now. I would have to go look at my bound book and see when I got the non-grenade launcher versions in the shop. They have pretty much dried up.

http://www.omnicorp.dk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/itsatrapjail.jpg

:sweatdrop:

swilson
08-26-2011, 7:24 PM
Even if one had an SKS with a GL device, where the hell is someone supposed to find the grenades to launch off it????? The local Big5 or Walmart doesn't seem to carry them. The average homie on the street can't get them. Seems to me to be a useless device without the grenades.

Exactly, not to mention that grenades would be illegal anyway, but legislators won't let a little thing like common sense get in the way of saving us from ourselves.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-26-2011, 10:33 PM
This is a new notice?

The notice has been on CalDOJ's web site since at least 2002.

vincewarde
08-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I got one with the grenade launcher sleeved over and welded. All that crap on the end of the barrel was so heavy that I chopped the barrel back, added a composite stock and a decent bolt on scope mount. It shoots fairly well with Russian ammo. I wonder if it would shoot better with better ammo? Someday.

Citizen 14
08-27-2011, 12:21 AM

I've always wondered about that! Why are they so worried about the rifle when there is no way for me to get the grenades? I guess I could ask Richard Engel, I'm sure he knows where to buy all the cool over the counter grenade launchers. :D

Kharn
08-27-2011, 5:35 AM
CA DOJ doesn't want you to play the big-boy version of Lawn Darts with the dummy/practice grenades. :p

Anchors
08-27-2011, 6:15 AM
I have prepared a new public statement for DOJ's BOF to issue.

"Please call us if you plan to purchase an ABC-123 (as all ABC-123 are illegal in California and generally just a bad idea to own. You'll probably accidentally shoot your kids. Why do you NEED one anyway? That isn't for hunting. It has no sporting purpose. It is already bad for being a gun, but without a sporting purpose the only thing it is good for is killing people. Please don't buy it. Please. It isn't illegal but, like we said, you don't REALLY need it and your kid will probably shoot the family dog [also illegal])."

a1c
08-27-2011, 9:25 AM
Everybody knows you could then order one of these and attack people with golf balls.

And there's got to be golf ball control in California.

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/index_files/page0004.htm

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/index_files/image060.jpg